PDA

View Full Version : Securing front hub nuts??

glyn211269
16-12-2009, 02:23
Fortunately for me, the nasty grinding bearing like failure noise coming from my front hub was the actually the rotating hub part coming out of the big cast housing thingy due the hub nut being totally loose.

But what's meant to stop that nut coming loose again even if its torqued up correctly as there are no locking tabs to bend over or facility to use a split pin - are they meant to be loctited or what?

MAXIBOY
16-12-2009, 02:46
just use new nuts..

VIPERONE
16-12-2009, 03:43
elbow grease

schakal
16-12-2009, 09:01
Fortunately for me, the nasty grinding bearing like failure noise coming from my front hub was the actually the rotating hub part coming out of the big cast housing thingy due the hub nut being totally loose.

But what's meant to stop that nut coming loose again even if its torqued up correctly as there are no locking tabs to bend over or facility to use a split pin - are they meant to be loctited or what?

does not need a split pin , its a nylock nut .
just make sure you got the washer before the nut if you are using that type.
there are 2 types of hubnuts .
1 - with built in washer , 2 - washer and nut seperate .

Wobba
16-12-2009, 10:15
Some total tool garage, probably the same one that had drilled a hole in a core plug and just left it leaking, had threaded one of my hub nuts onto the driveshaft. Took hours to get it off.

Had to drill it off and totally destroy the end of the shaft. Luckily I had two new driveshafts lying about :)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSC01273.jpg

VIPERONE
16-12-2009, 13:28
thats a shitter... having been there myself I know what you went of getting that twat of a nut off

Wobba
16-12-2009, 13:36
thats a shitter... having been there myself I know what you went of getting that t**t of a nut off

Yep, it took me HOURS!! My drill bits were not that good and I broke a few hehe.

Clio_GTT
16-12-2009, 18:50
I've seen nuts that aren't nyloc ones, they're a split end type.

schakal
16-12-2009, 19:08
I've seen nuts that aren't nyloc ones, they're a split end type.

i believe thats to do with cost cutting etc .
they can be used on a variety of car makes l.