PDA

View Full Version : Legal to wear a helmet when driving car on UK roads?

GabrielKnight
12-12-2009, 14:05
Anyone know?

stan
12-12-2009, 14:15
Ive done it when driving Ariel Atoms..not sure about actual legalities?!

LEIGH-ANNE
12-12-2009, 15:41
Anyone know?

Why? :?

ThRaXaIR
12-12-2009, 16:11
Because he used to be a boy scout and had learnt to always be prepared......ALWAYS

Wobba
12-12-2009, 16:27
Anyone know?

It's a requirement for some vehicles. I don't see why it would not be legal.

The Stig does.

sheps
12-12-2009, 17:07
Im not sure it is?

I *think* i may have read about it being illegal becuase of visibility issues.
Although fine for bikers etc?

* This may of been a dream.

16v_paddy
12-12-2009, 18:55
Well my mate got a section 59 for his passenger wearing a helmet inside the car :? he also had a spare steering wheel in his hand :lol:

flash
12-12-2009, 19:14
Well my mate got a section 59 for his passenger wearing a helmet inside the car :? he also had a spare steering wheel in his hand :lol:

this was also a figment of paddies imagination
it was nothing more than

THE SIMPSONS introduction when maggy was sitting in the passenger seat !

im pretty sure it is legal though !.
providing there is not visibility issues !
such as tinted visors etc !
same rules that apply to motorcycle users

stan
12-12-2009, 19:19
Kitcar drivers can wear them...

16v_paddy
12-12-2009, 20:59

this was also a figment of paddies imagination
it was nothing more than

gospel truth I'm telling ya :shock:

schakal
12-12-2009, 21:08
The Stig does.

he is born with it though

GabrielKnight
15-12-2009, 18:54
Now I'm even less informed on the subject than I was before!
Surely Paddy is joking?
Has anyone definately seen Stig wearing a helmet in a closed top car?

I'd really like to know the answer the original question if anyone has any 1st / 2nd hand experience. There seems to be little info even after a 1 hour Google search : (

I'm not intent on taking my bike helmet with me on many car trips btw, but I'd like to know where I'd stand legally out of interest.

col
15-12-2009, 19:18
Im sure an open face helmet {old school} would not be a problem.

Jamie.
15-12-2009, 19:39
I've read this thread a few times and I just don't know why it wouldn't be legal.

MAXIBOY
15-12-2009, 19:50
pretty sure its not due to visibility issue even open faced ones

stig does on track and top gear arent your everyday motorists any way..

white16valver
15-12-2009, 20:03
Ring the local police station and ask to speak to Traffic, then ring the Department for Transport!

2 live
15-12-2009, 20:49
if they are anything like the cops round here they wont have a clue. many many years ago i asked about no.s on doors etc, and if they had to be crossed out. they didnt have a clue, on that or 1 or 2 other things i asked.

col
15-12-2009, 23:01
REF the Stig: didnt he drive from london to Scotland with a helmet on in a caterham,just like a biker really. I dont see a problem in an enclosed car as long as you have freedom of head movement an the visor is tinted to British standard.......god you wear shades in the car dont you?

Carole Anne
16-12-2009, 01:00
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069869

Haven't had chance to look properly but might be something in here, will have a look at work tomorrow. I have a feeling there is a visibility issue.

Can I ask why you want to know?

:D

16v_paddy
16-12-2009, 01:47
Now I'm even less informed on the subject than I was before!
Surely Paddy is joking?
Has anyone definately seen Stig wearing a helmet in a closed top car?

I'd really like to know the answer the original question if anyone has any 1st / 2nd hand experience. There seems to be little info even after a 1 hour Google search : (

I'm not intent on taking my bike helmet with me on many car trips btw, but I'd like to know where I'd stand legally out of interest.

I swear on my mothers life it's the truth,
But it's entirely possible that the legality of that particular S59 notice is dubious :roll: they have the ability to make stuff up & hand them out as they see fit & you can't really challenge them in court either apparently

GavinMccoull
18-12-2009, 11:56
Its an offence because the police can't see you i think. I heard one of my mates going on about it. Thats what the police said when he got done for his tints. If its the traffic no doubt they would find some way of doing you for it.

Tommo
18-12-2009, 12:11
You can't hear sirens etc in a closed helmet, I'm sure that's another reason but don't quote me on that!

16v_paddy
18-12-2009, 21:21
Its an offence because the police can't see you i think. I heard one of my mates going on about it. Thats what the police said when he got done for his tints. If its the traffic no doubt they would find some way of doing you for it.

That's not quite correct regarding the tints, there's a set limit on how much light the front windows have to let through to be legal. The police have equipment to test this, but not all police cars carry the equipment. AFAIK the only way for the police be able to legally force you to remove tints is if the windows fail the test using the equipment to measure how much light is let through

GavinMccoull
29-12-2009, 20:02
Yes he got his windows tested by the traffic police and failed because they let through less than 70% vlt. He got the police officer to do his windscreen also as it did not have any tint and guess what it failed too. The police officer then went on to explain that it could just be a bit of dirt on the windscreen and read him his rights and told him to sign. So my friend never signed and got reported to the proculator. Few weeks later £30 fine. All a load off bullcrap if you ask me, i would understand if they were excessivly tinted but they were only tinted 10% more than factory.