PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust mounting

Smokey McPot
02-12-2009, 17:13
It has come to my attention that I may not have correctly fitted my exhaust.

The part the bends has dropped below the body line of the car on the under side. My previous exhaust didnt do this.

What have I done wrong? I've seen a fair few 16v's and Willy's driving about that appear to have the same issue.

Coops
02-12-2009, 17:23
loosen the bell shaped clamp on that part of the exhaust, jack the exhaust to correct position and tighten the clamp back up, its the rotational positioning of the 2 parts of the exhaust at that joint thats incorrect :D

Smokey McPot
02-12-2009, 17:30
Nice one, I'll give it a go :)

glyn211269
03-12-2009, 01:21
Oh no, I've just been through all this myself!

You'll very probably find that there's a hanger missing just in front of the middle silencer. I believe that only original Renault centre exhausts have the hanger wire present and often the hanger bracket is missing from the underside of the car. You can get these brackets from Renault at about £21. I had a new hanger wire welded on to the exhaust in the correct place. that certainly helped...

You might also find that the forward most hanger loop on the rear section is incompatible with the hanger loop on the car. Again, after many attempts at dicking around with it myself, I eventually submitted and had it cut and re-welded into the correct shape by a professional - and i dont mean some monkey at KwikFit!

Was worth the £35 it cost to get put right!

Smokey McPot
03-12-2009, 09:05
Mine is OEM. I know the hanger part you mean. I might just call the stealers today and order one, whether I need it or not.

As for the hanger, do you mean the two closed loops? Yeah I know about that, I've had it altered so I can fit the hangers properly.

Smokey McPot
03-12-2009, 12:48
There are no mounts available in the UK or France. Gay.

Smokey McPot
03-12-2009, 12:49
I mean hanger brackets.

glyn211269
03-12-2009, 19:09
I mean hanger brackets.

Perhaps was lucky then, my local dealer ordered one from France a couple of weeks ago no problem and it arrived in a couple of days....

Confusingly tho, its called a 'Turbo Bracket!' on Dialogys....

Smokey McPot
03-12-2009, 20:04
I got one on back order which isnt much cop for tomorrow, I'll bodge it for now.

Smokey McPot
05-12-2009, 10:23
Well after some investigation, I have the appropriate hanger the problem was the one of the rear mounts, its a closed loop which you can't fit a rubber to, some top quality french design there.

I'm going to get my junior hacksaw out tomorrow and rectify it, in the mean time a cable tie will do.

I still have the turbo bracket on order, so I'll keep it for spare.

Whilst I was under there, I removed the Cat and noticed that my heatshield is a bit of a joke and rattley as one man band falling down and escalator.

More expense....