PDA

View Full Version : Best low dust pads that actually work?!

MattyH16valver
30-11-2009, 13:57
Hi, I've has some greenstuff pads fitted for a while now to reduce the amount of dust on my new will wheels but i'm getting tired of them now and i just don't feel safe braking with them especially in the winter as even when warm seem to take forever to stop! I have new callipers, fluid etc so I know it not that.

Can someone recommend me some good stopping pads that are still fairly low in terms of dust? I'm currently looking on Eurocar parts site and they do the Pagid Pads, are these any good?

Any other suggestions would be great...Thanks in advance. :D

Clio_GTT
30-11-2009, 18:01
DS2500 or DS2000 aren't that bad for dust

Pagid blues are a little bit worse but I'd rather have a bit of dust and better brakes

MattyH16valver
30-11-2009, 18:34
DS2500 or DS2000 aren't that bad for dust

Pagid blues are a little bit worse but I'd rather have a bit of dust and better brakes

mmm i've used Ferrodo DS2500 before the Greenstuff and they really seemed to eat into the alloys even when I cleaned the wheels every week. :shock:

How about just some normal oem copy pads from eurocarparts?

busterhymes
30-11-2009, 18:46
used ferodo OE pads, low dust and alloys cleaned up easy pads fine for everyday driving and only about £15 a set :)

schakal
30-11-2009, 19:02
used ferodo OE pads, low dust and alloys cleaned up easy pads fine for everyday driving and only about £15 a set :)

yerr but ,them r DS* free though init ?

dope shizz ??:D :lol:

MattyH16valver
30-11-2009, 20:28

Sounds good to me mate...where do you normally get them from? :)

MattyH16valver
30-11-2009, 20:41
Anybody tried these before, sound pretty good value!

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=574363

BLACK DIAMOND / PREDATOR PADS 'FAST ROAD' (FRONT)

busterhymes
30-11-2009, 21:10

Sounds good to me mate...where do you normally get them from? :)

my local motor factor does them so recks u should get them easily :wink:

Wobba
30-11-2009, 21:30
My ds2500's are not too bad tbh...once bedded in they seem fine.

MattyH16valver
30-11-2009, 21:37

Are they the "Street" or "Track" pads? I think I got the track ones so thats why they ripped up so quickly!

eternalife
01-12-2009, 01:08

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=574363

Think winston used them on that williams he re/built.
Would be worth a PM.

Wobba
01-12-2009, 01:13

Are they the "Street" or "Track" pads? I think I got the track ones so thats why they ripped up so quickly!

No idea! :D

talkingfish
01-12-2009, 10:42
I've got OEM pads from Renault and they are not too bad at all - don't seem to eat into alloys and are fairly dust free...

MattyH16valver
01-12-2009, 13:48

Think winston used them on that williams he re/built.
Would be worth a PM.

Ah right, cheers mate :)

MattyH16valver
01-12-2009, 13:48
I've got OEM pads from Renault and they are not too bad at all - don't seem to eat into alloys and are fairly dust free...

How expensive were they though for OEM pads?

MattyH16valver
01-12-2009, 13:49
just dont get carbon lorraines is all I can say. Overpriced shite that apparently dont have the retaining clips and are free to rattle about... extremely annoying to say the least.

Will steer clear of those then, cheers!!

white16valver
03-12-2009, 15:33
What compound and discs are you using?

They have the original RC5, RC6, RC8 and new RC5+.

RC5 are the original ones that are good but dusty as hell and eat your bodywork and alloys as they have quite a high iron content that sparks off under heavy braking (cooool 8) :P lol), the RC6 are a higher performance version of the same (designed for heavier/faster cars), and the RC8 are pretty much full race pads.

The RC5+ are new and what I've tried. Great feel from cold, absolutely ridiculous bite once warm :twisted: and, with the high carbon discs from the place that BB Tuning is now trading inder, I don't think they'll ever fade!!

I'm surprised you don't like them tbh!

white16valver
03-12-2009, 15:35
inder=under lol

PC-PLOD
03-12-2009, 20:24
ive got bog standard ons in mine from halfords before that i had ds2500 to be honest not a lot of differance except price £16 against £74 then again i dont drive like a looney

MattyH16valver
03-12-2009, 21:10
ive got bog standard ons in mine from halfords before that i had ds2500 to be honest not a lot of differance except price £16 against £74 then again i dont drive like a looney

True mate, I have never been that hard on thre brakes either but you really have to give the pedal some grief with the green stuff pads on :shock: . Went for the Black Diamond Pedator pads in the end as they has pretty good reviews. Will give some feedback at the weekend

Cheers for everyones help so far 8)

white16valver
04-12-2009, 13:56
Cool, let us know how they go :)

sideways danny
04-12-2009, 18:45
just got some DSperformance pads for mine (a chunk cheaper than DS2500) fitting next few days, I'll report back

Oh and as for greenstuff............worst junk available anywhere. I'd use a £9 set of pads before touching those pile of shite again

MattyH16valver
04-12-2009, 19:51
When it comes to "bedding" pads in is that only if your disks has slight lips on then from using the old pads so the new ones have to be worn in to compensate for this?

white16valver
04-12-2009, 20:05
I don't think so, but probably you can get away with doing less on new as the faces of pad and disc should (hopefully lol) be straighter than the might be once worn :)

MattyH16valver
04-12-2009, 20:18
I don't think so, but probably you can get away with doing less on new as the faces of pad and disc should (hopefully lol) be straighter than the might be once worn :)

Well the disks shouldn't be too bad at all.....don't suppose the greenstuff pads have made much of an impression on then! :lol: Read up about it on a few site, say to drive at a stead spead then brake fair hard several time until but don't completely stop and repeat this about 20 times. :shock:

sideways danny
05-12-2009, 06:17
bedding in isn't to do with disk wear

brakes work by depositing friction material from the pads in the surface of the disk. You then get 2 friction surfaces working together to give you the best brakes. Old disks will have different pad compound, so if you use a different pad, you'll never get best performance

MattyH16valver
05-12-2009, 10:26
bedding in isn't to do with disk wear

brakes work by depositing friction material from the pads in the surface of the disk. You then get 2 friction surfaces working together to give you the best brakes. Old disks will have different pad compound, so if you use a different pad, you'll never get best performance

Ok, thanks for that mate. Well they can't be much worse than they are now! :lol:

Evogone
05-12-2009, 11:08
It all about how you drive and what you want them for....

If you drive like miss daisy then most pads will be fine but if you really want the best stuff and are low dust (not the ferodo and PF eat your wheels type) then pagids blues are the best i have come across. I am using them on the rally car they are great, dont eat discs like ds3000 and have lasted nearly a season..! i have fitted a set to my new alcon 4 pots set up i have been that impressed.

MattyH16valver
05-12-2009, 16:57
Decided to get some new disks aswell today as the current one were nearly totally worn and wanted to fit new disks and pads.

First impressions of the Black Diamond predator pads are pretty good! :) Took the car out for a spin to try and bed them in a bit and pedal feels pretty good. Look forward to seeing what there like when the properly bedded in 8)

Did notice that the wheels locked up though when braking hard so hope thats just to do with the pads bedding in :lol:

white16valver
07-12-2009, 13:47
lol I had an unintentional lock up incident with my CL RC5+ when they were new - I think they're just a bit snatchy till bedded in! :lol:

re: Evogone's Pagid Blue recommendation, I concur that they are great, they were the last pad I was running :) I felt they were a bit 'dead' at the top though, almost like they were glazed and not gripping, but the CL RC5+ are awesome and less money. Time will tell on the brake dust issues that previously blighted them!

Evogone
07-12-2009, 16:34
lol I had an unintentional lock up incident with my CL RC5+ when they were new - I think they're just a bit snatchy till bedded in! :lol:

re: Evogone's Pagid Blue recommendation, I concur that they are great, they were the last pad I was running :) I felt they were a bit 'dead' at the top though, almost like they were glazed and not gripping, but the CL RC5+ are awesome and less money. Time will tell on the brake dust issues that previously blighted them!

When bedding them in they were awful but after a good thrashing and left to settle they were great....for sure ds3000 and PFs are great but Blues offered near same performance and great modulation without the dust and eating of disks..

white16valver
07-12-2009, 19:41
My Brembo Max and Pagid Blues lasted the best part of 2 years I think, more than acceptable! :)

2 live
12-12-2009, 19:19

lol^^^ the diff between the ds2500 and the std halfords pads is like night and day. step on the halfords pads hard for 20 mins and you dont have any brakes.....they fade terribly

iv done countless miles, and trackdays on the ferrodo s 1 car had ds2500s the other just ds series, not sure what spec but they were all red, and iv never ever had them fade on me. they do eat discs a bit, but then....who cares as long as the pedal feel and braking quality is the same 1st time u use em to the last??