PDA

View Full Version : Crappy Wiring On Clio's...

Illusion
18-07-2005, 19:11
Got in the motor this morning and she wasn't turning over...

Thought it was a bit odd as th ignition was on and all electronics were still working, but no cranking on turnover. Was pretty sure it wasn't a flat battery, but maybe the starter motor...

Anyway's, managed to bump start her and I went on my way. Decided to go a longer way to work, to charge the battery and didn't play the stereo...got to work and just let her sat there for 10 mins.

Anyway's lunch break came, and again the same problems, so me and my mate had to bump start her again...

Check the voltage with a meter and power was getting through, so I was pretty sure it wasn't the starter motor.

I changed a few bulbs the other day on the rear clusters and remembered seeing earthing wires on either one...

I unscrewed the clusters, and she fired up first time...screwed the clusters back into place, and haven't a problem since.

I'm relieved it's not the starter motor, but i'm so pissed that it was to do with the earthing. Because if I took it to a mechanic i'm pretty sure they would of replaced the battery and starter motor, but would never would consider checking the earthing...or would this of been an obvious thing to spot?

Dunno why i'm getting worked up about, clio's do piss me off at times though.

BRUN
18-07-2005, 19:25
well id say messin with your rear clusters would probably be the last thing most people would look at

your starter/battery/alternator are the obvious choices

VIPERONE
18-07-2005, 19:25
just remove all earth straps and sand down the metal to make a better contact... that includes the earthing stra at the end of 5th gear on gearbox

Illusion
19-07-2005, 09:38
just remove all earth straps and sand down the metal to make a better contact... that includes the earthing stra at the end of 5th gear on gearbox

Got out this morning and it happened again... :(

When you said the strap on the 5th gear on the gearbox, is this under car, or can I get to it through the engine bay?

Andyvalver
19-07-2005, 09:48
I know which one he means. Its very hard to get a spanner or ratchet on to it cuz coolent hoses are in the way and so is the bulk head. I just sprayed the bolts with wd-40 and gave it a wiggle lol

Purple
19-07-2005, 09:58
You could fabricate some HT cables running from the battery minus pole to critical electric component ground (eg: starter, alternator etc). They sell them in kits but dead easy to make them from old battery cables.

Illusion
19-07-2005, 09:58
I know which one he means. Its very hard to get a spanner or ratchet on to it cuz coolent hoses are in the way and so is the bulk head. I just sprayed the bolts with wd-40 and gave it a wiggle lol

Ok cheers...

Cos i'm a lazy git, whereabouts exactly is the bolt, cos off the top of my head i can't remember seeing anything like that near the coolant hoses.