PDA

View Full Version : Turbo guru's - boost queries

alex_e3
23-11-2009, 22:41
Right, i'm going to be getting a low boost turbo conversion up and running in a few months time after i've recovered from my surgery i'm having later this week :? Now i'm gonna be upgrading to high boost in the near future, but gonna be at low boost for quite a while to tell the truth - most initial problems can be ironed out then and parts upgraded as i go.

Now i think the actuator on the turbo i've got is set to 10psi, although i think i remember hearing midge say that the actuator can be changed manually? When i'm initially up and running, i only want to be running something like 6psi to start with. I'm considering purchasing an electronic boost controller. Now my question is, if i manually adjust the boost to say.... 4psi, and then plumb the boost solenoid in the actuator to turbo pipe, can i safely adjust the boost with the controller between 4 and 10psi? I'll be running the low boost chip it's worth noting - so would it run correctly at lower than 10psi?

I'm just thinking that even thought it's low boost, it's still gonna be pretty rapid - hence i'd just like the ability to be able to turn the boost down to around 6psi if i so wished. Would running at all be affected, or are these chips only designed to work at 1 boost pressure level?

Cheers,

Al :-)

Coops
23-11-2009, 22:45
the chips are mapped at one particular boost level but wil work fine below that level i think, i ran mine at 12psi on the 16psi chip for a while and gave it a bit of stick and it was okay. but i cant guarantee it will be spot on, i havent asked the people who made the chips etc so no proof its totally okay to do

and for the boost controller question, yes for all of it as far as i can understand electronic boost controllers

alex_e3
24-11-2009, 00:04
Cheers Ben!

Just didn't wanna be splashing out on an electronic boost controller if i couldn't use it at a lower boost level than the chip originally runs at.

So what exactly do the chips do to the ecu? Do they just allow the recognition of the boost pressure or something? Then the ecu just adds the correct amount of fuel for any boost level up to the max level of the chip?

Justin..
24-11-2009, 01:36
you'll need to adjust the wastegate actuator else it still wont open till the predetermined pressure on the actuator even if its lower on the controller.

alex_e3
24-11-2009, 13:11
Yeah Justin, that's what i was saying about manually adjusting the boost pressure. So if i adjust the actuator so that it opens at 4psi, then if i plumb a boost controller in, it could be adjusted from 4 - 10 (or whatever)psi - correct???!!

You're confusing me!!!! Doesn't take much mind :D

Justin..
24-11-2009, 15:51
you can trick it to over boost but not under boost

alex_e3
24-11-2009, 20:16
Yeah, you trick it by bleeding air out of the pipe linking the turbo to the actuator don't you? That way the actuator isn't receiving the full pressure from the turbo, hence the turbo builds up more pressure until the bleed of air is overcome enough - correct?!?

Laine_16v
25-11-2009, 11:25
You can get away with running 12, 14 psi e.t.c on 16psi chips because of the MAP correction.

Allan
25-11-2009, 14:30
Running my greddy profec spec b on 7psi, works fine.

Just adjust the manual one to lowest setting put the electronic controller in and it will hold it at what ever you set.

Justin..
25-11-2009, 18:54
Whats your actuator set to?