PDA

View Full Version : Floods

Wobba
20-11-2009, 11:29
Anyone here from Cumbria been hit by flooding?

Working in home insurance I am about to have to call someone who should never have been put on cover to tell them we have revoked all cover all the way back to 2007...and they are going to be flooded imminently...Imagine their response...the people who get paid silly money don't have the bollocks to do it.

Lucky me!

Justin..
20-11-2009, 12:23
utter bullshit :( you must get some shit on the phone!

LEIGH-ANNE
20-11-2009, 13:31
That is bollocks dan. Poor people!

Good luck

Wobba
20-11-2009, 13:52
Just spoke to them. They've been evacuated from their home and their home is 4 foot under water.

Yea...I get some SERIOUS shit of people quite often. Mostly it's because they are in fact retarded and never read their letter or documents and nothing is ever their fault (not) or just want to shout at someone as their life sucks, but in some cases I really sympathise with the client.

MatrixGuy
20-11-2009, 14:33
Bloody hell, that is bad mate. I couldn't of done that!

Last time i went to Cockermouth a few years ago it was flooded. Feel really sorry for those affected.

stan
20-11-2009, 14:45
Cockermouth and Keswick have been pretty much evacuated.

I'll upload some photos later a friend took of the River Eden near Carlisle city centre. When we had floods there a few years back, the whole of that area was submerged in water to the height of the petrol station canopy.,..totally insane.

Wobba
20-11-2009, 15:57
Yes, I have seen the reports and pictures coming in and it looks very bad.

We used to insure 4 houses along the Greta River. All bar one went to other insurers or were declined insurance due to flood risk.

I've just spoken again to the house owner. The first time I spoke to them they didn't understand what I was trying to tell them, I think they were in shock.

I've just spoken to them again to get a temporary address and explain in clear detail what revoked insurance means to them in their case. I have to make quite a few tough calls but this was one of the hardest. I think the lady was crying in the background and the chap I spoke to was clearly becoming extremely distraught.

They are now homeless and their row of houses have been pretty much condemned.

I'd have rather have eaten my own head than make that call :(

Coops
20-11-2009, 16:17
its a shocking state of affairs, but end of the day if you buy in a flood plain and struggle to find insurance its a likely outcome, and the warnings have been there for a while now, mad weather, lots of rain in torrents, floodings in previous few years.

i realise it would be hard to sell in those areas due to those exact reasons, but with the current extremes of weather likely to continue, it'd be wise to bail out of anywhere thats even remotely at risk from flooding

Clio_GTT
20-11-2009, 16:37

We used to insure 4 houses along the Greta River. All bar one went to other insurers or were declined insurance due to flood risk.

I've just spoken again to the house owner. The first time I spoke to them they didn't understand what I was trying to tell them, I think they were in shock.

I've just spoken to them again to get a temporary address and explain in clear detail what revoked insurance means to them in their case. I have to make quite a few tough calls but this was one of the hardest. I think the lady was crying in the background and the chap I spoke to was clearly becoming extremely distraught.

Did they have both building and contents insurance with you?

What a gutting phonecall to recieve/make, rather you than me mate

Wobba
20-11-2009, 20:11

Did they have both building and contents insurance with you?

What a gutting phonecall to recieve/make, rather you than me mate

Yea the whole lot! It's the weekend now, time for a much deserved break!

Twincam
20-11-2009, 21:46
Luckly not affected me directly, but I live just south of penrith and its been pretty bad everywhere

Had to take a different way home last night as the usual road I take was about 1 and half foot under water :(

feel really sorry for the guys out west

Was concerned that my 3 clios might drown, but they seem happy sat in puddles at the minute

Weather seems to of been better today but its not looking good for tomorrow :(

Wobba
20-11-2009, 23:10
Luckly not affected me directly, but I live just south of penrith and its been pretty bad everywhere

Had to take a different way home last night as the usual road I take was about 1 and half foot under water :(

feel really sorry for the guys out west

Was concerned that my 3 clios might drown, but they seem happy sat in puddles at the minute

Weather seems to of been better today but its not looking good for tomorrow :(

Good luck!

col
28-11-2009, 13:51
Ive just been reading this Dan what a tough job youve got ,rather you than me.

I work right next to the river seven near Stourport,and i do mean next to it.......yes it is a stones throw away. Were on a flood plain but the buildings are built about 4ft up.

But in 2000 we had to wear waders to get in,in the dark! even lorrys couldnt get to us............i could tell you some storys. :cry: