PDA

View Full Version : Taxing a SORN'd car....

Smokey McPot
18-11-2009, 15:11
Shortly I will have in my hand a valid MOT certificate.

Whats the deal with taxing a SORN'd car? This year after I renewed the SORN I didn't get the usual paper work, it was just a letter of acknoledgement that the SORN was valid til 2010.

I've not called the DVLA to see what I need to do, so was wondering if anyone can tell me? If not I'll call them.

Is it just a case of taking the ownership docs, insurance certificate and MOT paper to the Post Office and handing over some money.

I'd prefer not to do it online in this instance as I want the Tax disc through before next Thursday...

Justin..
18-11-2009, 15:13
yeah just take what you've said. They might get funny as you don't have the reminder slip but just say its sorned at the moment. Its what i did when i brought mine back on the road

busterhymes
18-11-2009, 15:46
Shortly I will have in my hand a valid MOT certificate.

Whats the deal with taxing a SORN'd car? This year after I renewed the SORN I didn't get the usual paper work, it was just a letter of acknoledgement that the SORN was valid til 2010.

I've not called the DVLA to see what I need to do, so was wondering if anyone can tell me? If not I'll call them.

Is it just a case of taking the ownership docs, insurance certificate and MOT paper to the Post Office and handing over some money.

I'd prefer not to do it online in this instance as I want the Tax disc through before next Thursday...

dont matter u can still drive car without tax disc so im told

Smokey McPot
18-11-2009, 16:02
i'd prefer to not have the possible hassle. I'm taking it oop north on that all being well, and I want to have my documents in order.

Justin..
18-11-2009, 16:07
you can still get done for not displaying tax though if the copper feels like it

Coops
18-11-2009, 16:22
just take the log book, insurance, mot and any SORN paperwork you have to the post office and they should sort it out no problems mate

busterhymes
18-11-2009, 16:23
registration doc/MOT and insurance certificate needed when been on SORN

busterhymes
18-11-2009, 16:24
snap Ben :lol:

Clio_GTT
18-11-2009, 16:24
"I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives."

From http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Common+Questions

Bit contradicting:

"If you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month, there is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post.
The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires."

From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10034732

Says first 5 days of the month

busterhymes
18-11-2009, 16:26
"I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives."

From http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Common+Questions

Bit contradicting:

"If you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month, there is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post.
The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires."

From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10034732

Says first 5 days of the month

did read this and now scratching me head :?

benjah23
18-11-2009, 16:26
i did it online,just print the confirmation and have it in the car to cover yourself.I spoke to the dvla aswell and they said once youve payed your legal to drive.you probably wouldent get pulled as the police no everything about your car from your plates if your not legal in anyway they no the minute you pass them :wink:

Smokey McPot
18-11-2009, 17:31
the tax expired April 2007.

If I can't get one for when I need it, and having paid for it but not recieved it, do you think the police will see the funny side of a near 3 year old disc? :)

busterhymes
18-11-2009, 17:35
the tax expired April 2007.

If I can't get one for when I need it, and having paid for it but not recieved it, do you think the police will see the funny side of a near 3 year old disc? :)

you will be in the poo according to what the dvla state easy enough to pop into PO :)

Smokey McPot
18-11-2009, 17:40
What I mean is, if i have paid and am within the 5 day grace period, could I continue to display the old disc?

Its hypothetical.

busterhymes
18-11-2009, 20:50
dont think its applicable on sorn car and certainly cos of when tax actually expired m8 seems to read that they give you the leeway and an upto date tax disc

FATBOY
18-11-2009, 21:51
if you use the post office and dont have a reminder you will have to fill in a V10 'Vehicle licence application' form at the post office

16v_paddy
18-11-2009, 22:14
You can do it online, just need the document reference number on the V5 & you're away.

Just print off the receipt & if you get stopped you just show the receipt, doubtful you'd need to as it's all on computer & can be easily verified at the roadside

richy
19-11-2009, 21:01
because the car is sorned you wont be allowed the 5day grace, only if it is still currently taxed, but as said just pop to the post office with your docs and they have the correct form to fill in, done it many times myself .

Justin..
19-11-2009, 21:02
I never needed to fill in any documents :?

16v_paddy
19-11-2009, 21:35
cos your car's never on the road :lol:

Justin..
19-11-2009, 21:36
:(

Wobba
19-11-2009, 22:35
cos your car's never on the road :lol:

THAT'S NOT TRUE! I saw it the other day at work! And I followed it in a van about 2 months ago :D

Justin..
19-11-2009, 22:38
the other day ? lol been off the road since september :lol:

16v_paddy
19-11-2009, 23:27
:rofl1:

Smokey McPot
22-11-2009, 01:03
All sorted, He's legal once again.