PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Coops
17-11-2009, 12:15
so who do people find best for williams insurance? when i owned 0062 last year with 2 years NCB it was 420 fully comp

just qouted through same company for same car essentially but with another years NCB and they want £500 for same cover

whats going on????? i've not changed anything else, just got a year older and wiser and got more NCB???

is this just simply due to crap awful financial markets at the minute or what? the best i can find is £450 so thats still £30 more :shock:

Smokey McPot
17-11-2009, 12:40
I've just re-insured mine last week, having not had my own insurance policy for nearly 3 years.

I decided to play Direct Line and Churchill off against each other, as I HATE those comparison websites, and I preferred to be insured by a company I had heard of before.

I'm a named driver on about 4 other policies, and had accrued 3 year NCB on those. However DL would not honour the certificate of NCB issued by Churchill (my previous) insurers, and Churchill would not honour the named driver NCB I had accrued.

Long and the short of it was that DL wanted just over £1000, with a total excess of £300 (£150 compulsory/£150 voluntary)

Churchill wanted £547 with the same excesses and some free Greenflag breakdown cover.

The reasoning is more likely to be the cost of repairing/number of crashes in our type of cars.

I've been reading about Nissan GTR owners, someone recently had a sub 10mph crash into a tranny van with a tow bar and it cost £11k to fix. Because of things like that companies will be thinking twice about the rate at which they insure the car. I think the same maybe true in our case, but not on such a costly scale.

Coops
17-11-2009, 13:43
its the jump this this time last year that i find hard to swallow, never had insurance go up before, spose i'm just getting to that age where the saving stop :(

busterhymes
17-11-2009, 14:04
guess the vw still your everyday transport? if so try hagerty they will do it as a cherished second car on classic limited mileage which you specify, with an agreed value so non of the shit you get from the everyday insurers only offering book prices and also includes breakdown insurance i paid £145 yeah ok im an old git but worth ago see what they come back with :) :)

Wobba
17-11-2009, 14:24
so who do people find best for williams insurance? when i owned 0062 last year with 2 years NCB it was 420 fully comp

just qouted through same company for same car essentially but with another years NCB and they want £500 for same cover

whats going on????? i've not changed anything else, just got a year older and wiser and got more NCB???

is this just simply due to crap awful financial markets at the minute or what? the best i can find is £450 so thats still £30 more :shock:

Could be lots of reasons mate. They may have changed their rates due to new risk data on your postcode or re'coup'ing their losses due to the 40% rise in insurance fraud since recession hit.

Best bet: shop around.

Coops
17-11-2009, 14:39
i've shopped till i dropped mate, that is best i can do, utter rubbish, its the scale of the increase on last year thats shocked me :shock:

cheers for the advice martin but this will be for a daily to replace the polo you see, so needs to be full insurance for SDP+C etc

busterhymes
17-11-2009, 15:59
i see ben, well good luck with the search by the way have a bush for the gearbox linkage if you still need one :)

flash
18-11-2009, 00:16
think yerselves lucky.. i was payin 370 quid a month on my willy ! :cry:

glyn211269
18-11-2009, 00:50
That does seem a lot - depends on your age, driving record etc...

I'm 39 now with maximum no claims and six points - last year I paid Esure £245 for a 6000 mile pa fully comp policy and this year about the same to Chaucer for a 3000 mile classic car policy with an agreed valuation. Although the excess is a bit steep at £500 with Chaucer but I did have 9 points for a short while!

Wobba
18-11-2009, 01:38
Insurance industry is hard pressed right now. I changed address to a quite low crime area from central Southampton where people get stabbed etc and I see vandalised cars frequently and they charged me another £50 saying I have moved to a higher risk postcode lol...

It's funny because a month earlier i put an imaginary quote in for identical vehicle and it was £100 cheaper! Rates have changed since then based on postcode.

Smokey McPot
18-11-2009, 08:57
think yerselves lucky.. i was payin 370 quid a month on my willy ! :cry:

come again?

Wobba
18-11-2009, 10:10
£370 a month is insane. You could buy a mint williams for that after a year.

MatrixGuy
18-11-2009, 14:03
£370 a month?! sorry, but i would draw the line there, lol.