PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used a machine polisher?

talkingfish
16-11-2009, 16:49
Anyone used / using a machine polisher?

If so, which one do you recommend and what product?

Is there a suitable technique for application without burning a hole in my paintwork...?? :? :shock: :?

busterhymes
16-11-2009, 16:57
loads of stuff on youtube m8 and some popular machines on here

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/cat_68.html

plus good forum and a good guide on machine polishing

Coops
16-11-2009, 17:31
hard to do well i believe, and even the pros burn through the paint on occasion, all it takes is thin paint, a difficult curve (i.e. bonnet bulge on a williams) and a millisecond lapse in concentration and its goodnight vienna :shock:

Tommo
16-11-2009, 17:49
Nah I've had a Halfords one for years, never burnt through the paint. Used with Meguiars the results are very good. Mine was about £25 iirc

katbloke
16-11-2009, 18:07
get a da such as the g220, i have a porter cable and its extremely hard to burn paint with a da, rotarys get so much hotter

katbloke
16-11-2009, 18:08
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polishing-machine/meguiars-g220-complete-meguiars-kit/prod_416.html

bendee
16-11-2009, 21:11
www.detailingworld.co.uk before you even pick one up and think about using it on your car. a rotary polisher can be leathel in a newbs hands like coops said its not to hard to burn through the clear coat (break through) and there are alot of things to read up on like pads diff polishes ect.

a da is a good way to start i have the kestrel das 6 with a sonus kit as my paint is soft and doesnt have any swirls so doesnt need any majour correction i also have a silverline rotary polisher but im yet to use it on a car.

it can get very expensive when you get into it and find it very easy going from a basic 50 quid car cleaning kit to 400 quids worth of kit and still needing more lol (like me)

have a read on detailing world the guides by dave KG and massivly informative. its a hole new world detailing.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66024

katbloke
16-11-2009, 21:32
been a member on there for 4years, great site, good guides and fantastic results

Smokey McPot
17-11-2009, 12:08
Nah I've had a Halfords one for years, never burnt through the paint. Used with Meguiars the results are very good. Mine was about £25 iirc

I've never burnt through with one of those, but then I do a better job with some elbow grease.

Its handy for large areas, but nothing like the G220

Tommo
17-11-2009, 12:37
Yeah it is good for large areas, I use a microfibre for the smaller areas. Been using it for about 3 years, valet once a month the paint comes up like new. Although I'm no detailer lol!

MatrixGuy
17-11-2009, 14:00
Join Detailing World, best place to learn machine polishing.

I would start with a dual action polisher, not a rotary. Practice on some scrap panels first :)

raviedavie
20-11-2009, 12:07
i agree , get a DA first !!!!
detailing world is the place to go , great site with loads of help and advice. ive got the megs G220 and had some great results with it 8)

eternalife
20-11-2009, 15:10
Anyone used / using a machine polisher?

If so, which one do you recommend and what product?

Is there a suitable technique for application without burning a hole in my paintwork...?? :? :shock: :?

Product depends on budget...keep in mind good Pad's/polishes cost quite a bit too.
'Zenith' technique but would advise learning from someone first hand.

katbloke
20-11-2009, 15:29
Join Detailing World, best place to learn machine polishing.

I would start with a dual action polisher, not a rotary. Practice on some scrap panels first :)

I practise on a williams 3 first :D