PDA

View Full Version : help! is the mechanic lying?

titcharoony
15-11-2009, 00:45
Ok, to cut a long story short, my car failed its MOT on rear brakes, new caliper needed. okey smokes i say. i managed to get a brand spanker for 70 sheets, so i supplied it and they attempted to fit it. i get a call saying the caliper is faulty first, to which the supplier states it unlikely as theyre wet tested etc etc. Anyway, i then retrieved the 'faulty' item, and obtained a new one. 'They probably havnt read the specific instructions, or found them after theyd bodged it' said the suppliers. Anyways, i obtain a new caliper and it is fitted, and my car passes its mot. Yay. A 3 weeks later (present), i hear a knocking noise coming from the back of the car, about 1 min later i see some bits fall off the back. Shite i thinks. I make it to Nationwide autos, where they throw it up on the ramp. The pads have fallen out, and its pissed fluid everywhere. Also my caliper might be screwed. Disc is soaked in fluid. Nationwide insist poor fitting and no other explanation, impossible for it to happen otherwise where their words. I drive back to garage where twas originally fitted, and they politely tell me to **** off. Apprently the pad could have snapped, or the 'bolt' that sits across (?, i assume part of the fittings kit?) might have snapped and pads fallen out. They are accepting no responsibility and telling me to do one, blaming faulty parts - saying without the parts to hand theres no proof that it was the fitting, also that if it were fitting improperly i would have encountered a problem as son as i got the car back. I have no receipt for the work (although it is a registered garage), but what action should i take, if a any? sorry for the long post!

titcharoony
15-11-2009, 00:47
oh, and the report came back from suppliers, the original caliper was NOT faulty. god i wish there was some corgi type register for mechanics.

schakal
15-11-2009, 00:56
yupp they absolutely are a bunch of steaming gaheyers !!!

they probably did not fit the pads using the proper securing clips etc
hence they came loose and fell out ,forcing the caliper piston to press
directly onto the disc etc etc .
you are lucky you made it before it caused more damage to rest of
the system tbh .

titcharoony
15-11-2009, 03:06
ill check with trading standards on monday what i can do

katbloke
15-11-2009, 11:27
if people dont put the retaining spring back properly then its easy for the inside pad to fall out, possibly causing piston to be forced out which is what im guessing has happened, the garage are liable. Do you still have th receipt stating the work carried out?

MatBrown
15-11-2009, 12:58
if people dont put the retaining spring back properly then its easy for the inside pad to fall out, possibly causing piston to be forced out which is what im guessing has happened, the garage are liable. Do you still have th receipt stating the work carried out?

I have no receipt for the work (although it is a registered garage), but what action should i take, if any?

katbloke
15-11-2009, 17:33
oooops didnt see that bit

kenny
15-11-2009, 17:41
what do you mean by 'registerd', if they belong to some sort of trade organisation contact that. Ask Natiionwide to put their comments in writing and present it to the trade organisation.

Daz.
16-11-2009, 00:38
To be honest no reciept = me no pay..

Smell like cowboys straight away - why didn't you go to the other place in the first instance?

titcharoony
16-11-2009, 00:44
why didnt i go to nationwide? because they quoted 400 to fit a caliper. and i was in a rush, so collected my keys, paid cash - and jumped off to work, probably thinking id pick upa receipt on the way home. I havnt been declined one, so i might try and swindle one, then nail the ****ers. contacting VOSA aswell. seeings as my car passed its mot, doesnt look good.

Daz.
16-11-2009, 21:23
I'm just concerned they might be arsey providing a reciept after they know your questioning their work.

titcharoony
17-11-2009, 00:48
i couldnt agree more daz, thats why im going to ask them to write a report on what has gone wrong with brakes (ill make up an excuse like im trying to get money back on parts or something), and get them to write that. also, ill record it secretly. :) wish me luck peeps! also, declining to write a receipt afterwards? this would also be mentioned in court. i could request one after theyve writtena report on whats gone wrong, if they decline to write a receipt, then ive got that on tape too.

busterhymes
17-11-2009, 09:08
not really sure the recording will stand up m8 but good luck i am shocked at the levels of incompetence that gets mentioned on this forum :shock:

cliokiz
18-11-2009, 13:26
Go back to the garage and DEMAND they fix it.

You supplied a brand new caliper, they didn't fit it properly.

Did you get a new pin to secure the pads with? Or was it never there originally? Or did they not refit it?

Wobba
18-11-2009, 14:35
This is why I NEVER go to garages except for MOT's.

Take it further, they wont want the hassle. If you don't then next time someone could be killed with their shoddy work.

titcharoony
18-11-2009, 16:38
the pin was originally thre, i suspect they havnt fitted it righ, i think heyre saying it must have fallen out. taking it back tomorrow for them to assess what went wrong with it and ge a written statement. then ive got their word vs every other mechanic that says thats bull shit

titcharoony
18-11-2009, 16:41
oh and wobba? it WAS for an MOT lol. i think vosa will be hearing about this regardless. i have demanded new discs, pads and caliper on rear of vehicle. they have told me to politely **** off....so i am definately sueing them if i can. if not? ill go to vosa and hopefully they'll brick it as they dont want to lose licence. id rather they didnt touch my car again though.

Clio_GTT
18-11-2009, 17:01
You have to know what you're doing with the rear brakes, sounds like they fitted the retaining key at the wrong end of the caliper

Tommo
18-11-2009, 17:44
Sound like a right bunch of cowboys, hope you get it sorted asap! Only ever let one garage touch my car in 5 years of ownership, they are very good and trust them to do any work on the car, without them I'd be screwed... :(

titcharoony
18-11-2009, 19:18
it seems most people (not off here) are suggesting i just go someone where else, get it sorted - then report said garage to VOSA and trading stds and leave it with them. bit annoyed at having to buy 3 calipers, another set of discs, pads, fitting kit, labour....lol ****ing cowboys. i ask u again, why arent professional mechanics forced onto a register? like corgi or something? Some kid could have fitted my brakes for all i know. lol and brakes..the things that stop you from 70mph, n the motorway, with maybe kids in your car. seems wrong doesnt it. or is it just me.

col
18-11-2009, 20:08
Name an shame em i say. :evil:

busterhymes
18-11-2009, 20:52
talk to trading standards there is a procedure to follow before they get involved :wink:

titcharoony
18-11-2009, 21:46
im following trading stds procedure so far.