PDA

View Full Version : Tappet noise advice....

glyn211269
13-11-2009, 01:29
I'm getting a tapping noise from the top end of my 116k Willy when it fires up from cold but this disappears when warmed up.

So I'm assuming this must be the hydraulic tappets complaining?

I'm running it with 15W/50 Mobil1 if that's of any relavence.

So what exactly is it that goes on the tappets? Do the oilways get clogged and only fill up properly when the oil has warmed up and thinned?

How long a job is this timewise and any clue on the price for a set of new tappets?

Thanks!

Clio_GTT
13-11-2009, 01:39
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-F7P-F7R-CLIO-WILLIAMS-MEGANE-HYDRAULIC-LIFTERS_W0QQitemZ180405792267QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2a0105ee0 b#ht_1082wt_939

You can take them out, give them a good clean with carb cleaner and free up the insides.

Re-prime them and whack them back in, aslong as they aren't worn they'll be fine

Wobba
13-11-2009, 01:43
I'm getting a tapping noise from the top end of my 116k Willy when it fires up from cold but this disappears when warmed up.

So I'm assuming this must be the hydraulic tappets complaining?

I'm running it with 15W/50 Mobil1 if that's of any relavence.

So what exactly is it that goes on the tappets? Do the oilways get clogged and only fill up properly when the oil has warmed up and thinned?

How long a job is this timewise and any clue on the price for a set of new tappets?

Thanks!

Sometimes the oil pathways get clogged, other times the springs inside the tappet gets knackered and takes a while to draw oil in. If this is the case I think it leaves a gap between cam lobe and valve which the tappets are 'sposed to take the slack, but wont if they are fubar/getting old. The noise you hear is the tappets being struck by the cam lobe or valve top.

Not hard to replace really.

Wobba
13-11-2009, 01:45
Will take 2-3 hours depending, but you need to prime the tappets first. I left all mine in a bucket of oil and squidged them about the previous night before installing. Didnt bother so much on the second time round.

matty
15-11-2009, 18:39
TBH I don't think the 15w 50 oil helps, better with a 5w40 or 0w40.

Also a good thing to try 1st is Forte Top End Treatment. Work a treat and I used on my old Valver engine and on my brothers FTO engine and helps with tappets especially from cold.

Mechanic use only the Forte stuff but it crops up on ebay.

MatBrown
15-11-2009, 19:44
15w 50 is fine, thats what i run sometimes.

Mat.

glyn211269
15-11-2009, 21:07

Also a good thing to try 1st is Forte Top End Treatment. Work a treat and I used on my old Valver engine and on my brothers FTO engine and helps with tappets especially from cold.

I take it you just add this stuff to the oil and some kind of 'cleaning magic' takes place in the top end of the engine???

Wobba
19-11-2009, 22:17

I take it you just add this stuff to the oil and some kind of 'cleaning magic' takes place in the top end of the engine???

Yep.

Tommo
19-11-2009, 23:03
Mate I'd strongly advise you not to use Mobil 1 15w-50, I used this a few years ago and my engine was tappety to hell and ran like crap to be honest, never touched it again and it's well over priced. Use a decent 5-40 fully synthetic, I use Shell Helix Ultra and runs very smooth, if you're still getting a bit of tapping try adding Wynns oil treatment, I've used this in the past and quietens things down a little. Sorry if this has been mentioned I never read any replies...