PDA

View Full Version : "Slippery" Clutch

Dravvy
12-11-2009, 18:16
Clutch started slipping today. New it would come along at some point so no suprise really.

Planning to do this over a weekend, any ideas of how long we can expect? My dad has a garage services with a ramp/power tools etc.

Also any recomendations of places to buy or direct from Renault, think I'ts going to need a new adjuster too.

I imagine the clutch differs from 16v clio's?

Bit of a n00b so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan

Clio_GTT
12-11-2009, 18:35
Go to GSF carparts and get their Valeo clutch which is the OEM one but cheaper.

If you've got the tools then take the engine out, replace the cambelt, waterpump and aux belt at the same time. Make it "future proof" so to say.

Clio_GTT
12-11-2009, 18:35
Oh and 16v and williams clutches are the same

cliokiz
12-11-2009, 18:55
They aren't, the Williams clutch is slightly better than the valver item.

cliokiz
12-11-2009, 18:55
Always worth replacing the pivot bush in the gearbox whilst you've got it off as well.

16v_paddy
12-11-2009, 19:15
Always worth replacing the pivot bush in the gearbox whilst you've got it off as well.

DO THIS!!! Just as important as the clutch itself IMO :wink:

Coops
12-11-2009, 19:22
few hours work, drop subframe by undoing all bolts but leave rack etc on, should be able squeak the box out the way then to get in at the clutch

also if your fed up with heavy clutch good opportunity to fit soft pedal conversion if you like, although believe standard airbox will require modding to get it to fit if you run airbox

cliokiz
13-11-2009, 13:19
^Massively.

You need to chop off the cold air feed on the bottom of the airbox and also chop a lot of the bottom of the airbox off so the air filter is exposed. Not ideal really.

Make sure you grease everything up well, especially the head of the pivot bush.

Laine_16v
14-11-2009, 12:18
They aren't, the Williams clutch is slightly better than the valver item.

Your correct its not an identical part, but its not any better?

Dravvy
14-11-2009, 20:09
Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm planning to replace it next weekend so we'll see how it goes.

I'll probably live with the hard clutch, kind of got used to it now. I was shocked when I first stepped into the car however.

Cheers
Dan

Dravvy
18-11-2009, 13:16
Just remembered that a couple of you guys mentioned replacing the pivot bush. Is this the spigot bearing in the gearbox?

Any reccomended places to get one?

Thanks,
Dan

Clio_GTT
18-11-2009, 13:43
Just remembered that a couple of you guys mentioned replacing the pivot bush. Is this the spigot bearing in the gearbox?

Any reccomended places to get one?

Thanks,
Dan

Nope it's a little bush that the release fork pivots on.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/pivotbush.png

Item 26

cliokiz
18-11-2009, 14:14
Worth checking the release arm itself too.

It has been known for the pivot bush to wear all the way through the release arm. It's also been observed for the release arm to bend too which can cause major issues with the clutch disengaging.

Make sure you check everything over.