PDA

View Full Version : AST Solid Top Mount - Group Buy?

Wobba
10-11-2009, 15:57
As per geesus thread HERE (http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34221&highlight=solid+top+mounts)...Anyone interested in a group buy from Powerstation? Cliosport did a group buy there some while back.

RRP inc vat is about £161 usually.

Fits most suspension types as a straight bolt on item such as my AVO's, but others need to be checked and can be machined to fit no probs apparently.

Cheers.

Wobba.

Clio_GTT
10-11-2009, 16:05
As per geesus thread HERE (http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34221&highlight=solid+top+mounts)...Anyone interested in a group buy from Powerstation? Cliosport did a group buy there some while back.

RRP inc vat is about £161 usually.

Fits most suspension types as a straight bolt on item such as my AVO's, but others need to be checked and can be machined to fit no probs apparently.

Cheers.

Wobba.

All new AST's will go straight onto any suspension without modifying, they've changed them slightly.

8)

geesus
10-11-2009, 16:08
All new AST's will go straight onto any suspension without modifying, they've changed them slightly.

8)

is that confirmed 100%?

so if i buy some again they will fir straight onto my decarbon cup racer suspension?

any details on how exactly they have modified them?

they are brilliant piece of kit and the only reason i sold mine was because they wouldnt fit the cup racer suspension

G33R7
10-11-2009, 16:11
i'm in 8)

Clio_GTT
10-11-2009, 16:21

8)

is that confirmed 100%?

so if i buy some again they will fir straight onto my decarbon cup racer suspension?

any details on how exactly they have modified them?

they are brilliant piece of kit and the only reason i sold mine was because they wouldnt fit the cup racer suspension

its just how the orange has come out on the picture. the only difference from before is that they come ready to fit any strut now rather than needing machining for specific brands of damper

From Cliosport

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/renault-clio-mk1-257/bushes-mounts-780/ast-solid-adjustable-topmounts-renault-clio-mk1-2504.html

Clio_GTT
10-11-2009, 16:23
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=436061&highlight=top+mounts&page=4

Cliosport link

KamRacing will confirm this if needed.

I might be up for it if the price is right

JoćoCosta
10-11-2009, 16:25
If they are straight on i'm of course... :lol: :lol:

JoćoCosta
10-11-2009, 16:27
Oh sorry about my second reply, but this will fit on coilovers too?every suspension of a mk1 clio??

sorry to ask this but i need to :wink:

Clio_GTT
10-11-2009, 16:40
Oh sorry about my second reply, but this will fit on coilovers too?every suspension of a mk1 clio??

sorry to ask this but i need to :wink:

Yes, they'll fit any suspension that fits your mk1 clio

geesus
10-11-2009, 16:58
in that case, if the price is right i will be in :D

JoćoCosta
10-11-2009, 17:01
Ok thanks for the info...this way i'm in... :P

JoćoCosta
10-11-2009, 17:05
oh and i found why cliosport organized one group buy to this top-mounts...because they have club discount on kamracing...

why we don't have one?? :cry:

Clio_GTT
10-11-2009, 17:08
oh and i found why cliosport organized one group buy to this top-mounts...because they have club discount on kamracing...

why we don't have one?? :cry:

If we organised a group buy we'd get a discount for purchasing a large amount at one time.

I'm sure the prices would be the same for us and cliosport. The 2 group buys could even merge into one if possible.

Clio_GTT
10-11-2009, 17:15
I've contacted Kam Racing and will hopefully hear back about costs and amount for 10, 20 and 30 purchases etc etc.

I'll let you all know.

I'm not trying to steal your thread wobba, just looking at ways to get them cheaper. Maybe see who's cheaper out of powerstation and kamracing.

stevie_b
10-11-2009, 17:34
I'm in as long as they fit LEDAs, which if they fit 'anything that fits the Clio' then they will do?

Coops
10-11-2009, 17:36
i'm in pending costs :P

geesus
10-11-2009, 17:55
I'm not trying to steal your thread wobba, just looking at ways to get them cheaper. Maybe see who's cheaper out of powerstation and kamracing.

from reading cs i thought powerstation supplied kam racing with the ast products?

JoćoCosta
10-11-2009, 18:00
I don't know about the powerstation ones...anyone can show me a image or the link of the product??

Wobba
10-11-2009, 21:13
I've contacted Kam Racing and will hopefully hear back about costs and amount for 10, 20 and 30 purchases etc etc.

I'll let you all know.

Yea no problem.

Powerstation do them and have some in stock now I believe.

Essentially all the suspension kits, coilover and OEM, share the same size and design thread on the top of the piston thus they can use the OEM top mount. The only thing I would be worried about is the top for the springs, which are different because the diameter of the springs is different.

I am up for some as I don't like the way the AVO does not allow for a flush fit using the OEM top mount, plus of course it's not adjustable for anything and is prone to movement when driving making for less consistent handling.

I don't mind doing this but if someone else wants to do the admin for it that's cool as I am super busy at work nowadays!

sk84life
10-11-2009, 21:30
I've just been in contact with Curtis @ Powerstation over getting a set for my Valver.

He said they are £140+VAT, also he told me that they still require machining/different bushes depending on what suspension is used....Could be slightly different from the 'Kam racing' ones?

Maybe keen for joining the group buy depending on when it goes ahead and what sort of discount can be sought.

Dan

cliokongen
10-11-2009, 22:24
I'm in...... :)

northy
10-11-2009, 22:27
do you have to cut or drill any of the strut tops to fit them ?

sk84life
10-11-2009, 22:33
do you have to cut or drill any of the strut tops to fit them ?

Nope 8)

Wobba
11-11-2009, 10:03
Some feedback from Cliosport HERE (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=436061&highlight=AST+solid)

Geezer
11-11-2009, 12:04
Im interested in a set...

Craig

Twincam
11-11-2009, 13:48
Im in if there a good price

They'l fit nicely on the new project :D

Wobba
12-11-2009, 12:34
Ok. I'll get onto Powerstation then and see what they can offer and compare it to Kamracing.

After we have concrete figures I'll move this over to the Group Buy section to discuss and make official and start putting names down.

Coops
12-11-2009, 13:04
8)

Wobba
12-11-2009, 14:45
Bit of extra info, bear in mind the pics shown are for H&R's and not for a Mk1 Clio

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=451725&highlight=group+buy+solid+top+mounts&page=2

I am wondering how best to do this as I don't want to take money from people are have to send them out to people if they get sent to me. I'd rather you guys contact the seller and order them under a secret password or something! Suggestions?

Coops
12-11-2009, 14:58
usually best way is to setup the buy with the company and use a code yes mate, so we order direct once its set up and you've released the details to us

Wobba
12-11-2009, 15:05
usually best way is to setup the buy with the company and use a code yes mate, so we order direct once its set up and you've released the details to us

That's what I thought, thanks. I've tried to contact Curtis by phone but no luck so far, so I've sent an email in reply to the one he sent me yesterday.

I've mentioned the variety of coilies we have mentioned in this thread.

JoćoCosta
12-11-2009, 15:30
And for that who hasn't coilies??like me :lol: ...it's the same "plate"??

Clio_GTT
12-11-2009, 15:44
Reply from Kam Racing:

Hi Craig,
We'll definately be able to offer some discounts for you on this as we'll be getting some additional funding from AST for a bulk buy.. We're just waiting to hear from them as to how much...

Regards

Jon

I'll let you know what prices he can come up with for X amounts

Evogone
12-11-2009, 16:05
Count me in too.

Wobba
12-11-2009, 16:52
And for that who hasn't coilies??like me :lol: ...it's the same "plate"??

I mentioned standard fitment too :)

Awaiting as reply from Powerstation.

Coops
12-11-2009, 17:24
was FK in the list of coilies, and Gaz?

Wobba
12-11-2009, 18:39
was FK in the list of coilies, and Gaz?

lol I forgot them :(

Coops
12-11-2009, 19:24
have a word for us then mate, i run FK currently and may consider gaz in the future

Wobba
16-11-2009, 12:02
Reply from Kam Racing:

Hi Craig,
We'll definately be able to offer some discounts for you on this as we'll be getting some additional funding from AST for a bulk buy.. We're just waiting to hear from them as to how much...

Regards

Jon

Curtis at Powerstation tells me you have contacted him as well? That's fine but I don't want to be sending out emails if all I am doing is making duplicate enquiries.

He will get back to us with costs/discounts soon. I want a set fast-ish as I wanna fiddle with car :D

Cheers.

Evogone
16-11-2009, 16:56
Will they fit monotube cup racer dampers?

Clio_GTT
16-11-2009, 19:01
Reply from Kam Racing:

Hi Craig,

Regards

Jon

Curtis at Powerstation tells me you have contacted him as well? That's fine but I don't want to be sending out emails if all I am doing is making duplicate enquiries.

He will get back to us with costs/discounts soon. I want a set fast-ish as I wanna fiddle with car :D

Cheers.

I enquired with AST direct, didn't know this was Curtis LOL

Hopefully he'll come up with a decent discount 8)

Wobba
16-11-2009, 21:49

Got a pic of the top part of the strut/springs?

JoćoCosta
17-11-2009, 00:08
I have one question more...the anodised can be in another colour, more neutral??

Wobba
17-11-2009, 00:13
I have one question more...the anodised can be in another colour, more neutral??

Don't think so, we can ask I guess but I think that's how they are manufactured.

Evogone
17-11-2009, 09:14

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/Evogone/P1010390.jpg

LEDA on the left and Cup racer on the right.

Clio_GTT
19-11-2009, 19:22
Responce from KamRacing

"Hiya Craig
inc VAT prices on them would be:
£149.5 for 10+
£138 for 20+
£126.5 for 30+

UK Mainland delivery on these is £8 (excludes Scotish highlands)

We're going to be working in partnership with Powerstation in order to offer these great deals. We will be the contact point for this and will be the ones sending all the mounts out, so no need to contact Curtis at Powerstation.

Regards

Jon
KamRacing"

Wobba
19-11-2009, 19:48
Lol! I'd like to confirm that with Curtis, though if this is true he probably just wants them to deal with the admin while he sorts the practical side of things.

Ok, thanks for the info. I've not had a reply yet!

I'll go sort a group buy thread then in the correct section.Willy lover, I've sent you a PM.

Wobba
19-11-2009, 19:53

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/Evogone/P1010390.jpg

LEDA on the left and Cup racer on the right.

I guess the first part of the top spring and the monotube seat the top mount. I really am not sure but I sent a pic to Curtis to find out, but till we get a group buy sorted officially I doubt we will find out. I am sure it can be done!

Wobba
19-11-2009, 20:56
Go HERE: http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37698

...if you want in :D

Wobba
19-11-2009, 22:00
I am going to ask about alternative colours for the mounts as well.

Justin..
19-11-2009, 22:20
:D

Wobba
19-11-2009, 22:30
:D

lol ;)

You know you want to Jus... :D

Coops
19-11-2009, 22:34
we want adonised yellow ftw ;-) or white even 8)

Wobba
19-11-2009, 22:36
we want adonised yellow is very good in my books ;-) or white even 8)

I am awaiting a reply. Don't get too excited!

JoćoCosta
20-11-2009, 01:25
I'm waiting to see the other anodised colours...

And how much cost the shipping to Portugal??

geesus
20-11-2009, 12:10
i have put my name down on the group buy, would love another set of these

however it all depends what curtis says about the cup racer decarbon strut pic Evogone sent you, ie if it can be done or not

Wobba
20-11-2009, 12:59
i have put my name down on the group buy, would love another set of these

however it all depends what curtis says about the cup racer decarbon strut pic Evogone sent you, ie if it can be done or not

I have asked, and will continue to ask.

geesus
20-11-2009, 14:13
cheers Wobba, much appreciated :D

Wobba
20-11-2009, 20:01
Reply about colours:

'Hi Daniel

Sadly AST anodise their products only in their corporate orange! I don't
think they are set up for doing any other colours...
I will ask though but I think its very unlikely.

Kev'

Oh well just have to redo all camcovers and vacuum pipework to match!!

scott j
21-11-2009, 20:08
im in :) whens the final date for this group buy?

Wobba
23-11-2009, 10:12
Go pop your name down on the group buy thread then :)

There is not definite date set as I wanted to see what feedback I would get, plus there are a few things to sort out such as making sure they fit peoples suspension. I want to put a firm order down within 10 days, preferrably sooner. Payday at the end of the week!

Wobba
23-11-2009, 14:27
Need a single buyer to hit the first stage of discounts. Go sign up on the Group Buy thread :)

Justin..
23-11-2009, 14:52
**** it I'm in

JoćoCosta
23-11-2009, 15:02
Anyone can tell me how much cost the shipping to Portugal??

LEIGH-ANNE
23-11-2009, 15:09
Your be able to sort that out here: -

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart

JoćoCosta
23-11-2009, 15:17
Your be able to sort that out here: -

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart

thanks for the edit and the information..i have already ask a quote to Portugal... :wink:

Wobba
25-11-2009, 09:41
Good stuff Jus :D

Justin..
25-11-2009, 10:52
might have to give you the cash before i spend it else where though haha

Wobba
25-11-2009, 20:28
might have to give you the cash before i spend it else where though haha

Sure mate, you know where to find me...down the pub with your money lol :D

Justin..
25-11-2009, 20:58
Haha! Shall see you next week! Probably Thursday

Wobba
25-11-2009, 21:23
Ok mate cool, thinking about it you may as well minus the cost of some paint touch up the mark on one of your wheels that you lent me.

Justin..
26-11-2009, 01:12
Fair, i'll drop round the cost of 10 buyers, you can pay my post :P :D

Wobba
26-11-2009, 09:50
Fair, i'll drop round the cost of 10 buyers, you can pay my post :P :D

Ok mate! If the cost is any cheaper than 10 buyers I'll reimburse you.

manxseven
29-11-2009, 22:59
Yes please, count me in :D

Simon

MatBrown
30-11-2009, 00:41
Forgive my ignorance but what do they do and how do they do it?
What do they actually replace?

Mat.

Clio_GTT
30-11-2009, 10:32

Mat.

They replace the rubber top hat that sits ontop the the strut and the rubber covered nut that sits ontop of the the strut tower.

They're basically solid with a bearing so it's in a fixed position but can still swivel. The standard ones moved around and give varying amounts of castor and camber when cornering.

Wobba
30-11-2009, 14:15
Yes please, count me in :D

Simon

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37698

Pop yourself down on the list :)

white16valver
03-12-2009, 14:21

Mat.

They replace the rubber top hat that sits ontop the the strut and the rubber covered nut that sits ontop of the the strut tower.

They're basically solid with a bearing so it's in a fixed position but can still swivel. The standard ones moved around and give varying amounts of castor and camber when cornering.
So they lock the strut into one position and stop it moving around, thereby giving you better steering accuracy and feel?

And it will stop the problem of the rubber thing on top of the tower 'popping off' the tower and standing proud? And therefore stop the up/down play in the suspension when it has popped off the tower?

Will it put excessive stress on the suspension tower?

white16valver
03-12-2009, 15:34
Oh, and is fitment a case of...

Taking the top nut and rubber thing off,
Jacking the car up and letting the suspension drop down and 'fall out' the hole,
Removing the rubber top hat that's on top of the strut,
Replacing the top hat with the new AST parts,
Lowering the car off the jack so the suspension comes back up into the hole,
Putting the top half of the AST parts on,
Rotating them until the camber/castor is correct (I assume they move together and aren't seperately adjustable?)
Doing everything up solid
Driving off to the wheel alignment centre to make sure it's all accurate.

?? :?:

Also, does the top of the strut sit as standard relative to the tower? i.e. will fitting these 'lower' the car? (if the top of the struts poked up through the hole more than standard)

Sorry for all the questions :oops:

Wobba
03-12-2009, 18:41
Oh, and is fitment a case of...

Taking the top nut and rubber thing off,
Jacking the car up and letting the suspension drop down and 'fall out' the hole,
Removing the rubber top hat that's on top of the strut,
Replacing the top hat with the new AST parts,
Lowering the car off the jack so the suspension comes back up into the hole,
Putting the top half of the AST parts on,
Rotating them until the camber/castor is correct (I assume they move together and aren't seperately adjustable?)
Doing everything up solid
Driving off to the wheel alignment centre to make sure it's all accurate.

?? :?:

Also, does the top of the strut sit as standard relative to the tower? i.e. will fitting these 'lower' the car? (if the top of the struts poked up through the hole more than standard)

Sorry for all the questions :oops:

I imagine to do it you will need to remove the struts entirely, you may not have enough room in the top of the strut tower with the struts still in to fit the new parts.

I'll be removing them entirely as it's easy and I want to see what I am doing.

I know what you mean by lowering the car as the strut may sit higher in the turret, but if it does it would not be much at all and on standard setup would not affect the struts as they would still be the same length, though centre of gravity may be affected a tiny bit and the wishbones may be more horizontal if that is the case.

With these, as you say, it will correct the issues with the 'top hat' with normal top mounts.

Wobba
03-12-2009, 19:53
The group buy is now on and deposits are being taken in the Group Buy section. Over 20 people including those from other sites.

Thank you.

geesus
04-12-2009, 10:58
i was the first person to fit these on a mk1 (ooh get me! 8) )

i would say it is very very difficult (maybe even impossible) to fit these with the strut in situ, from memory you can't lower it enough to be able to get all the parts fitted on top, unless you removed the lower arm, track rod end etc to allow more movement, but then it makes more sense to just remove the strut

best bet is to remove the strut alltogether, then you can see what you are doing

i still dont get how they are a universal fit, as when my old ones came the spring hat was the right size for a 2.25" spring diameter, how have they got round that? as some will have standard sized springs and some will have coilovers with 2.25"

white16valver
04-12-2009, 13:35
Ok, I was only guessing (being hopeful!) that it might be able to be done without removing the whole strut - being Renault, I should have known better... LoL :lol:

I really can't afford these but I am tempted. I'm fed up with having steering that is good but could still be better!

MatBrown
04-12-2009, 17:45

i would say it is very very difficult (maybe even impossible) to fit these with the strut in situ, from memory you can't lower it enough to be able to get all the parts fitted on top, unless you removed the lower arm, track rod end etc to allow more movement, but then it makes more sense to just remove the strut

best bet is to remove the strut alltogether, then you can see what you are doing

i still dont get how they are a universal fit, as when my old ones came the spring hat was the right size for a 2.25" spring diameter, how have they got round that? as some will have standard sized springs and some will have coilovers with 2.25"

So have you fitted these with the cup shocks?

Mat.

geesus
07-12-2009, 10:33

So have you fitted these with the cup shocks?

Mat.

no not on the cup ones

this was back when i had the valver shell and had FK coilovers fitted, i dived in on a gorup buy on CS for mk2's and had a go at fitting them

they advertise them for the standard clio suspension so i dont see any reason why they wont fit the standard cup shocks, time will tell :lol:

Evogone
07-12-2009, 10:46
I want these but need confirmation that these fit monotube cup shocks.....

Still no confirmation yet.

Wobba
07-12-2009, 13:53
I want these but need confirmation that these fit monotube cup shocks.....

Still no confirmation yet.

Evo, I think the only way will be to contact them direct and ask, perhaps email a pic as well. I think I already did this some time ago but I don't think I got a reply.

Wobba
07-12-2009, 13:56
I might run these with my J&R's front coilies rather than the AVO's which are annoying me. Luckily, they'll fit both npnp :)

Wobba
22-12-2009, 12:00
Go to group buy page to make final payment! Units are being machined as we speak.

Wobba
09-01-2010, 20:08
Those of you with the February copy of EVO may with to look at their 'Project Veyrog' (page 125) to see they have used the AST rosejointed adjustable top mounts on their fire spitting TT monster.

Wobba
12-01-2010, 14:27
Those of you who HAVE ordered and are planning on using OE shocks please contact kam racing as they have had feedback they require a tiny bit of machining, which they can do before they ship them out to you.

white16valver
12-01-2010, 20:06
Those of you with the February copy of EVO may with to look at their 'Project Veyrog' (page 125) to see they have used the AST rosejointed adjustable top mounts on their fire spitting TT monster.
I noticed that, they look good :)

Wobba
21-01-2010, 21:15
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSC00069.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSC00071.jpg

Justin..
21-01-2010, 21:17
haha!

Damn I want these but I am sooo broke lol :(

Wobba
21-01-2010, 22:44
They are a lot smaller than I thought they'd be, pretty bloody light as well.

Can't wait to get that negative dialled in ;)

Wobba
24-01-2010, 23:28
Now fitted. I've put some feedback here for you other who have them:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38285

GabrielKnight
25-01-2010, 19:30
IMHO a non standard part is still non standard, even if its better than the original. I'd like this part but if I was buying a 'classic' Williams when it reaches its 25th birthday, I'd want a true example, cost-cutting warts and all.

How permanant is this mod? Does it involve drilling / cutting putting in / taking away? If it can be swapped back to original status, I'll put my name on the list, but I'm a bit confused (as usual) what it involves.

white16valver
25-01-2010, 19:40
No Drilling or cutting :)

Wobba
25-01-2010, 20:37
IMHO a non standard part is still non standard, even if its better than the original. I'd like this part but if I was buying a 'classic' Williams when it reaches its 25th birthday, I'd want a true example, cost-cutting warts and all.

How permanant is this mod? Does it involve drilling / cutting putting in / taking away? If it can be swapped back to original status, I'll put my name on the list, but I'm a bit confused (as usual) what it involves.

Not sure if they will still honour the group buy, technically it's finished, can call kam racing and ask if anyone pulled out though...

Personally I never mod my car with anything that cannot be reversed back to OE.

GabrielKnight
26-01-2010, 05:33
OK, I'll contact them to see if there's anything left.