PDA

View Full Version : one for the suspension gurus?

geesus
05-11-2009, 14:03
or anyone else that can help me......

am i right in thinking that increasing the negative camber angle will give more grip on turn in?

the clio seems to be suffering with a wayward rear end, there is oodles of front end grip on turn in and it is VERY responsive and direct, however it constantly feels like it is 'dragging' the back end round and will snap out without any real warning

basically i am trying to gain a more balanced feel of over/under steer, at the min there is zero understeer (well, from driving as fast as is legal on the roads, but even in the wet it hasn't understeered once) and yet the back end feels very loose and has stepped out at some worryingly low speeds in the wet

so my question is, will reducing the front camber (say from -2.5 to -1 degree) reduce turn in grip, making the back feel more planted (providing i am not throwing it around)

JoćoCosta
05-11-2009, 14:10
for not "dragging" the back, upper the rear axle... :wink:

Evogone
05-11-2009, 14:53
On the rally car (using Cup suspension which has very high damping rates and 350lbs spring) the norm set up is 4 deg of camber. This makes the car a wear the thyres a bit more even on track, with 2 degrees an mine would kill the outside the the tyre.

The big factor i have noticed from a turn in point of view is the tracking. When set to parellel turn in OK but quite well balanced. With 1mm tow in it wasnt too much different if anything understeered. When i changed to 1.5mm tow out it made lots of difference and turn in was fantastic.!! Probabley as you describe yours now.

When i put the diff in it exagerated the issue as the diff want the car to do thraight ahead with anything less than full power. So 1.5mm tow out was the perfect lanace for me and 3.5deg camber. Set it parallel once and understeered like a pig.!

For a car with no diff road and track i would recommend tow out slightly 1mm and 2-3 deg max camber Although you may not get that amount of adjustment on the Cup struts.

Hope that helps.

Evogone
05-11-2009, 14:57
LOL at spelling need new batteries in the keyboard..!!!

My recommendation though is to get it 4 wheel aligned and then you know where you at as a start point. Generally it will be all over the place at the front if it been taken apart etc