PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown Recovery...

Smokey McPot
05-11-2009, 13:44
I am looking at getting some kind of breakdown recovery soon.

Who has what kind of recovery? Whats the best? Who should I avoid etc etc.

MatrixGuy
05-11-2009, 14:01
I use AA. I only pay £35 per year, which includes home start.

I definately got my moneys worth last year, must of called them out about 8 times, lol. :lol:

Usually very helpful.

Coops
05-11-2009, 14:41
i'm with the aa aswel, they dragged me back from germany, so definately got my moneys worth so far :lol:

Smokey McPot
05-11-2009, 14:45
You called them out to Germany?? :shock:

Coops
05-11-2009, 15:03
yes mate, stripped a gearbox at Aachen on the way to the ring last year, so i called the AA and posted the car home, carried on with my hols :lol:

Smokey McPot
05-11-2009, 15:51
LOL. That is quite excellent.

anyone have experience with the RAC or Green Flag?

raviedavie
05-11-2009, 16:38
i had to join AA at the roadside when i blew a saab 93 Aero up. cost me £212 so def best to join in advance :lol:

1995clio16v
05-11-2009, 17:57
I am looking at getting some kind of breakdown recovery soon.

Who has what kind of recovery? Whats the best? Who should I avoid etc etc.

99.999999999999999999% of insurance policies now carry this as std. Im with morethan. Inc as std.

8)

FATBOY
05-11-2009, 18:51
im with the rac and have been for years. discount for your renewal the next year if you have no call outs. i pay just over a fiver a month, and this includes everything except home start (im sure i can fix it at my house, or give it a go at least ) :wink:

Smokey McPot
05-11-2009, 19:08
Why is the RAC more expensive than the AA. £35 a year compared to £5 a month?

FATBOY
05-11-2009, 21:01
right just looking at it.

AA is £72.45 per year that includes, that includes single cover(you in any vehicle,roadside recovery, and relay(recovery home)

roadside on its own is £37.45

RAC is as above options for £68.25

Robertio
05-11-2009, 21:02
They all offer different levels of cover - my AA cover is a lot more than £35 :oops:

Having owned RX-7s for many years I have spent more time on recovery trucks than I dare keep track of. AA for me every time. Sometimes you do have to wait a while for someone to turn up and like all the rest they insist on sending a guy in a van first - despite telling them it is a low loader you need. However, they have always got me home.

I do also have RAC cover at present, but have not had to use it this year...

Greenflag I will never, ever, ever use again. Ended up getting dropped off in a tiny village at half past midnight and then left trying to find somewhere to stay, having paid £70 for the honour after they mixed up my cover. I was stuck in the middle of nowhere in my Westfield reading out my credit card numbers every few minutes as I had to wait for a car to go past to provide any light to see my credit card by. Having done this they would still only take me 10 miles. Needless to say I did not renew my cover with them after this.

kenny
05-11-2009, 23:17
Have RAC, always turn up and get me home but have to wait a fair bit usually, males arn't generally a priority. Had AA before, much the same. Only have RAC because they have no height, weight, length restrictions on the type of cover I have. If you only want the familly car or hot hatch collecting, both do the business. Dont know about AA but RAC have personal cover as opposed to cover on a car, so even if you are a passenger in someone elses car you can use your cover.

fasterthanjesus
06-11-2009, 09:26
the raa were superb!

GabrielKnight
07-11-2009, 13:57
I've had really bad experience with RAC.

First time, my tire burst on the motorway and they left me waiting on the hard shoulder for 2.5 hours then charged me £125 for a 20 mile tow home because I didn't have a spare (I had 15" alloys while the spare wheel holder could only take 14")

The next time I broke down 2 miles from home and it took 3.5 hours for them to come out. I phoned about 7 times and each time they said it should just be another 15 minutes. :evil:

LEIGH-ANNE
07-11-2009, 17:52
Im sure wobba with have sumthing to say about the RAC too.

I bank with lloyds and have a select current account. Theres a charge of £7 a month and that includes my mobile phone insurance and basic AA cover. Home start and recovery home or sumthing like that.

Its worth adding or upgrading your bank account as most offer something like this. Once you have that, upgrading when your in a sticky situation will be cheaper than buying outright, as a new customer.

:D

Smokey McPot
07-11-2009, 20:36
Theres a strong possibility I will have cover as part of my bank account, or as part of my car insurance, when I get round to getting some.

I've done some shopping and the service offered by the RAC and AA are largely the same, and the same price too.

white16valver
03-12-2009, 13:56
I think the RAC will pick you up and take it home if you have a crash, whereas the AA won't - but I only heard this in passing from an RAC man trying to sell me cover lol

Smokey McPot
03-12-2009, 14:20
Turns out that Green Flag is included free for a year in my current insurance policy. It'll do.