PDA

View Full Version : Close Shave

simonr85
05-11-2009, 10:16
I nearly crashed my car this morning, I was on the back roads , I came round a blind bend and traffic was backed up and the other side of the road was blocked too, brakes locked up as there was crap all over the road due to farmers, and i had to dive up the kerb and do a bit of off roading, i must of hit the kerb at about 50mph and have took a chunk out of my wheel, also the steering wheel is now facing hard to the left when the car drives straight on, any ideas what this could be???

it just so happens i have bought new top mounts and ball joints, anything else i could of broke???

geesus
05-11-2009, 11:09
possibly bent track rod end or damaged rack?

could have also damaged the lower arm/hub/shocker etc

hard to tell without looking at it

Coops
05-11-2009, 11:12
unlikely to be lower arm, they are strong as anything, could of bent the subframe however, but i'd initially check track rod and rod ends as likely culprit

simonr85
05-11-2009, 11:36
unlikely to be lower arm, they are strong as anything, could of bent the subframe however, but i'd initially check track rod and rod ends as likely culprit
i was thinking track rod ends, whats the crack with them as alot of people say the ones for williams from GSF are too short??? are these a renault only item???

LEIGH-ANNE
05-11-2009, 15:42
Thats a shame, could have been very expensive for you if ud hit anyone, being in a line of traffic!

Just goes to show, dont matter if u really have been down the road a million and 1 times! :(

Hope you get it sorted soon, its a bummer wen they aint working right

katbloke
05-11-2009, 18:42
i was thinking track rod ends, whats the crack with them as alot of people say the ones for williams from GSF are too short??? are these a renault only item???

Thats control arns, ht etrack rod ends should be ok, saying that i have 2 new ones sat here from reno but they dont come with nuts

ThRaXaIR
05-11-2009, 21:23
alignments out. but from experience with falling asleep and cracking curbs im gunna go with....knackered wishbone and bent subframe. not cheap. which sucks!

Wobba
05-11-2009, 22:17
Same thing happened to me in my first valver about 14 years ago...backed up traffic on a blind bend in the wet, locked up the fronts...I was lucky as there was an escape route in the form of a bus lane. Learnt my lesson since then!

No matter what's bent, it wont be hard to replace nor that expensive. Replace items/s and have the tracking reset.

white16valver
03-12-2009, 13:58
Rule No.1 of driving:

Always drive at a speed from which you can stop on your side of the road in the distance you can see to be clear ;)

IAM training needed :P lol

16v_paddy
03-12-2009, 20:16
ouch! unlucky mate

I'd deffo replace the bottom ball joint and the track rod end and maybe the hub. Then get it to a wheel alignment place, it's possible you've bent the bottom of the shock as well, they'll be able to confirm if you have

I hit a kerb sideways at 70, bent the hub, mullered the bottom ball joint & ever so slightly bent the mounting points on the bottom of the shock, so not too much hassle or expense to sort out :wink:

Carole Anne
03-12-2009, 23:04
Ouch but glad it wasn't any worse and you are ok Simon.

flash
04-12-2009, 00:08
i did this in my turbo cinq in the snow.. ****in mullered the lot !
its not nice. but car parts are easily replaced.. you aren't !
all the best with the repair !