PDA

View Full Version : Power steering again!

majestikmoose
04-11-2009, 16:18
hi all, have finally got around to fixing my power steering and have a couple of questions,

A) Where is the best place to drain the system from, im a bit worried it may be full of nasty iron filings as the pump has eaten itself and so will be changing all the fluid when I swap the pump

and B) i can only see 2 bolts mounting the PAS pump in, one behind the pully and the other at the RHS of the pump, are these enough to get it out now the alternator is off or do I need to take off the huge bracket in front with a bolt hidden behind the intake manifold as shown in the pic?

any help much appreciated as im currently going down the route of "I'm skint and know nothing about fixing cars but how hard can it be!"

cliokiz
04-11-2009, 16:22
Need to remove the bracket to the right of the pump which has a 13mm bolt through the bracket into the pump itself from the rear.

You need to remove the pulley from the pump, then 3 x torx bolts holding the pump to the bracket, then you can remove it.

OR

Alternatively, remove the bracket on the right, then remove the bracket containing the PAS pump, and it'll all pull out together. Either way it's a piece of piss.

Wobba
04-11-2009, 20:54
May as well do water pump as well if you're doing PS pump...

majestikmoose
05-11-2009, 17:06
Water pump was only done about a year ago so I think I'll leave it for now. cheers for the advice though.

really struggling to get the bracket on the right off though, there is a bolt holding it on right behind the radiator and right under the inlet. cant seem to get a socket and ratchet it on it. any ideas?

majestikmoose
05-11-2009, 17:07
and yes, i am a useless mechanic! :D

Clio_GTT
07-11-2009, 12:32
Water pump was only done about a year ago so I think I'll leave it for now. cheers for the advice though.

really struggling to get the bracket on the right off though, there is a bolt holding it on right behind the radiator and right under the inlet. cant seem to get a socket and ratchet it on it. any ideas?

Take the radiator off mate, makes it much easier.

Flush the coolant circuit and refill with type d and you'll be hunky dorey