PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent rattling sound and anoterh annoying noise.

Wobba
03-11-2009, 23:35
Since my replacement engine went in I've had an intermittent soft metal metallic rattle noise. If you imagine a saucepan with boiling water in and a aluminium or tin lid, it's like the noise it would make with the lid rattling a bit when releasing pressure from the boiling water...'rattle rattle rattle..........rattle.......rattle rattle rattle...........'

It's really hard to pinpoint. It sounds like its above the alternator or around the camcover/pulley cover region or even under the inlet manifold.

We took off a few of Renaults over-engineered black metal brackets when we had it all apart and left them off, but I cant imagine their absence causing it. I had the same thing with the valver after the I did the HG, but I think that was a tool I dropped which got stuck between the PS brackets and front of the block...

If I didn't know better I'd say it was something in the head itself...

ALSO!

There's been what sounds like a overtightened cambelt noise for ages. I've slackened it off three times now though and I am sure it's not that. I thought it was the bearings in the alternator, but I've since replaced it after the old one went the other day...still the same. It sounds like a mini supercharger.

I think it COULD be the PS pump, but I've never heard one sound like this. Maybe it can be bled of air somehow?

I am going to check all the pulleys and ensure there isn't a loose nut on one of them or something just to be sure. We replaced all the timing belt pulleys when we did it.

Suggestions?

Wobba
03-11-2009, 23:35
By the way, the rattle seems to go away when the engine is under load.

cliokiz
04-11-2009, 13:54
Exhaust heatsheild? Downpipe heatsheild loose?

Check the gasket between the manifold and the downpipe, this can make a metallic noise if it goes.

My valver engine 'whines' if thats the noise you're on about, PAS pump has been removed, and the cambelt isn't too tight, it's just the noise they make.

I love the supercharger-like noise :D

robi1000
04-11-2009, 19:27
Mine is also whining. Before and after rebuild.

Wobba
04-11-2009, 20:49
Could it just be pulley bearings causing both noises? I did notice my waterpump, a virtually new one, had become stiffer and wouldn't freely rotate any more when I took it off again.

I've a good mind to reset the cambelt and check pulleys at the same time.