PDA

View Full Version : Sorted

cliopete
01-11-2009, 12:33
Just fitted a replacement welded steering column after months of vague wandering steering and can't believe how much it has improved the feel of the car. Should have done it much sooner.
Thanks Martin (busterhymes) for the column. I will get my old column welded up and on sale here if anyone else is in need of a transformation.

Pete

busterhymes
01-11-2009, 13:37
nice one pete does make a big difference glad to have helped :D now get it jacked up and check for play in the inner track rod joints :wink: cos changing them makes more improvements if worn :)

cliopete
01-11-2009, 16:54
All steering joints checked over fine last week when I had two new front tyres fitted. :D :D
Pete

busterhymes
01-11-2009, 17:06
nice one :wink:

katbloke
01-11-2009, 21:13
mines the opposite, column already welded, have new control arms to fit, gonna do new wishbones at the same time

busterhymes
01-11-2009, 22:10
good luck with that little job last lot of suspension arms i changed i had a right job getting the bolts out :(

MatrixGuy
01-11-2009, 23:47
My steering is feeling a bit vague at the moment. There is no play on the steering wheel but when ever i go over a bump the wheel turns quite violently. Is this normal?

Wobba
02-11-2009, 00:57
My steering is feeling a bit vague at the moment. There is no play on the steering wheel but when ever i go over a bump the wheel turns quite violently. Is this normal?

No, unless you have lowered suspension, but even then...I'd check balljoints.

MatrixGuy
02-11-2009, 13:53

Not been lowered mate.

I take it new balljoints would help.

Wobba
02-11-2009, 15:36

Not been lowered mate.

Probably but I'd check everything else as well! Could be shagged damper I guess...

simonr85
02-11-2009, 16:13

Not been lowered mate.

Probably but I'd check everything else as well! Could be shagged damper I guess...

id say ball joint, mine was doing this when ball joint was knackered, i would turn right and it wouldnt turn much then all of a sudden it would turn sharp even though i was holding the steering wheel at the same position, got it up on ramp and was shocked how much play there was!

busterhymes
02-11-2009, 16:42

Not been lowered mate.

id say ball joint, mine was doing this when ball joint was knackered, i would turn right and it wouldnt turn much then all of a sudden it would turn sharp even though i was holding the steering wheel at the same position, got it up on ramp and was shocked how much play there was!

well easy to check and easy to change :wink:

MatrixGuy
02-11-2009, 19:19
Cheers guys. Will have to get it checked out because i am useless with mechanical stuff, lol.

katbloke
02-11-2009, 20:13
corr and i have 2 brand new renault track rod ends in my garage that are now redundant, trouble with reno ones they dont come with the new nuts