PDA

View Full Version : Strange knock/clunk

16v_paddy
31-10-2009, 22:30
I've got a strange clunk coming from somewhere at the front right of my car on acceleration and hard braking. At 1st I dismissed it as being my exhaust banging somewhere but it's not that.

I took the wheel off to have a look & found that the top nut & bolt that holds the hub to the strut had somehow come loose :shock: so I sorted that with a load of threadlock while a replacement is on order with renault, then had a good look around & check of all the nuts & bolts on & around the hub, subframe & strut area, they're all fine & tight, no movement or play in anything so I'm a bit stumped, anyone got an idea what else I should have a look at just in case there's something I've missed??

Suggested so far has been the new driveshaft & ball joint could be fubar and a wishbone busd could've died :?

richy
31-10-2009, 22:39
just it just clunk the once each time to accelerate and brake or constatly clunks?

be worth checking the brake caliper is tight, aswell as the pads fitment

obviously the ball joint can wear and cause movment but id thought you would notice that when driving over uneven roads aswell

MatBrown
31-10-2009, 22:41
Engine mount?

Mat.

16v_paddy
31-10-2009, 23:07
It's only occasionally that it clunks but it's always when braking or accelerating :? I'd say it's not the ball joint as the 1 on the other side was fcuked quite recently and the clunk it made was very different to this one. This feels as though something is hitting something else.

I'm pretty sure it's not the bolt that came loose as after I tightened it back up I took it for a spin and it clunked after 20 metres while stopping at the end of my street. No way that nut & bolt has come loose in 20 metres driving.

The calipers are nice & tight and so are the pads, I've got wilwoods so is it possible the holes on the mounting bracket have distorted or something?

All 4 engine mounts are less than 2 months old and the engine is solid as a rock

cliopete
31-10-2009, 23:32
Loose sub frame mounting or knackered rubber bush on the bushed mount.

diditno
01-11-2009, 00:12
i had a similar thing a few years back, and the engine mount on the gearbox side was loose, but it may be worth checking all of yours just incase.

16v_paddy
01-11-2009, 00:20
Loose sub frame mounting or knackered rubber bush on the bushed mount.

:? which bushed mount are you referring to?

Justin..
01-11-2009, 01:02
Drivers side rear subframe mount has a bush in it

16v_paddy
01-11-2009, 02:24

Well **** me sideways & call me Gertrude :shock: I never knew that

cliopete
01-11-2009, 12:25

Well f**k me sideways & call me Gertrude :shock: I never knew that

Mine started to clunk after I had dropped one side of the subfame to change the gearbox and it was like you describe. a clunk on hard acceleration or heavy braking. A new mounting bush sorted it.

Pete

schakal
01-11-2009, 12:49
same as 19 16v ,
i will never know why the heck there is a bush there?
to act as a 4th flexi mount may be ??

jay s
01-11-2009, 14:31
pic of the bush for you :D item no: 9 although when ever mine is clonking etc it turns out to be ball joints......

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/Untitled.png

16v_paddy
01-11-2009, 19:16
Nice 1 jay :thumbsup: you must be some mind reading freak :lol: