PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck with the williams

yeti
28-10-2009, 09:28
Hello guys i have had nothing but trouble as of late with the williams i had just got to the point were i can start looking at paying for my engine to be re-built when my car decided to snap its clutch cable.
which is a bit of a pain but then a few days later my steering rack pops its gaskets and dumps all the fluid onto my drive so had to pay to have that done.
Got my belts done at the same time. so all was sorted you whould think but no the rack that went in was faulty and popped its gaskets 3 days later so back in it went.
By this point i did start looking at other cars to buy but i thought hey its a goodish car keep it so it came back and felt great. then i noticed that i was leaving a little patch of gearbox oil were ever i went so looked into this and found it was the gearbox end cover so that got replaced.
Then 3 weeks of no trouble then bang my clutch cable snaps again right on a roundabout :shock:
so got it back home with a bit of a fix and a whole heap of cursing
to find out i now need a new clutch as the old one is what is snapping the cables oh the bloody joys of french car's
sorry this is a bit long winded just needed to get it off my chest

Wobba
28-10-2009, 09:42
That sucks :( Bad luck!

Get a genuine Renault cable for the clutch, others can be iffy!

yeti
28-10-2009, 10:16
yaeh got a new clutch cable now and a new clutch it goes in next week to have it all fitted. I cant belive how much work there is to just do the clutch on the car

Coops
28-10-2009, 10:35
tight engine bays mate, very difficult to split the box off the engine sufficiently in the car, have to drop the subframe and allsorts, believe its about a book 6-8 hour job.

did my last box swap in 2 :wink:

diditno
28-10-2009, 10:41
dont get an aftermarket clutch cable, there about inch shorter than renault ones. there only around 20 quid anyway,

fasterthanjesus
28-10-2009, 11:25
make sure its not a reconditioned clutch either. you need a genuine valeo? fitted one. one robbing bastard fitted a recon one and it only lasted 18 months and did 2 clutch cables and a ratchet set.

the guy who replaced it, noted that the wear on the clutch wasnt right. and spotted the recon from a mile off.

got mine replaced for 475 all in. clutch, cable and fitting.

busterhymes
28-10-2009, 13:04
renault clutch cable closer to £40 :shock:

yeti
28-10-2009, 13:54
Got a new clutch not a re-con one with that and fitting it will be 500 all in which is not to bad as one place quoted 1000 :shock:
so after all this i will have to start saving again for a re-build its now on 196thou miles

Wobba
28-10-2009, 14:57
Got a new clutch not a re-con one with that and fitting it will be 500 all in which is not to bad as one place quoted 1000 :shock:
so after all this i will have to start saving again for a re-build its now on 196thou miles

£1000=They don't want to do it lol.

Clutch is a pain.

busterhymes
28-10-2009, 15:22

£500 your kidding thats taking the piss as for a £1000 well thats fooking stupid :shock:

Coops
28-10-2009, 16:09
8 hours at 40 and hour plus vat and parts, about 500

garages suck, DIY is the best route :D

yeti
28-10-2009, 21:11
i know 500 is alot but if i did it myself i dont think i dont think i would get to the end of the road :D

Wobba
29-10-2009, 10:02
i know 500 is alot but if i did it myself i dont think i dont think i would get to the end of the road :D

I can understand why you'd pay for it, if you don't have the time/tools etc it's a bit of a nightmare especially with a job where you need the car like me!

Working on a car after work in the dark and rain is not much fun.

yeti
29-10-2009, 17:50
yeay thats the thing i need my car ever day so if i try to do it it could take a long time for it to be back on the road. And the fact it sounds like a right pig of a job to do really cant be arsed with that at the moment. But no matter how much i want to pull my hair out with it i know i am going to still have it this time next year

cliokiz
02-11-2009, 13:37
I can do clutches A LOT cheaper than £500 if you have a driveway and an engine crane handy :wink:

My clutch cable also snapped the other day, was a brand new one too :(

yeti
02-11-2009, 23:11
Hello mate cheers for that but i live in swindon so that would be one hell of a drive for you and a do not have a engine crane just need it doing asap

schakal
03-11-2009, 00:25
Hello mate cheers for that but i live in swindon so that would be one hell of a drive for you and a do not have a engine crane just need it doing asap

there are quite a lot of rtoc members in swindon that might
do it for you if you want me to ask around let me know .

hell yeah i am a member on there too :D

yeti
08-11-2009, 16:07
hello mate sorry its take ages to write back the broke down in the middle of swindon on thursday it got stuck in 2nd i had to limp it back that gave me the hump.
Then it was ment to go in on sat and then that did not happen so i am hopeing it goes in tonight and gets fixed tomorrow if not i shall be begging some one to fix it or just take it out and shoot the dam thing :evil:

eternalife
20-11-2009, 15:04
Got a new clutch not a re-con one

New clutch from reno yes? Remember reading Nick Hill insists on using new Reno clutches as opposed to refurbished ones. Must be a reason for this...

Pivot bush is a few quid and worth doing at the same time.
Do your research on the forum and find all possible causes for clutch cables...will pay dividend in the long run. I seem to remember 'Daz?' having quite a few issues with his.

yeti
23-11-2009, 12:02
Hello it is now all sorted and running really well had the clutch+cable+adjuster and the drive shaft all done so now i have decided to put it up for sale so i will be putting on this site soon going to sad to let it go but really do need a bigger car