PDA

View Full Version : A broken clutch ~~~~ ouch !!!!

cliorod
16-10-2009, 02:05
As reported in my "Tour of Mull" thread,the clutch torsion springs decided to part company :cry: :( :cry: ,leaving no drive (or very little)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/Picture001.jpg

The cure for this ~~ An Alcon 6 paddle unsprung spinner plate,hopefully the pressure plate will be ok ~~ going back for a check and refurb

Coops
16-10-2009, 08:36
how harsh are unsprung plates, basically my car already eats input shafts on the gearbox's, so surely a solid plate with an uprated cover plate its not going to be kind to the gearbox no matter how 'uprated' it is :D

cliorod
16-10-2009, 17:30
Coops,
Disadvantage of the "unsprung" plate ~~ you cannot "slip" the clutch ~~ more like a switch I guess.I have it on good authority,the more torque an engine is giving the more the torsion springs have to work.
As my car is only used purely for Motorsport,I can put up with non ~ slipping etc etc for round town driving,As for everything else the gearbox is fine even though it is in a JB5 casing(might be JB3) straight cut/close ratio and with a ZF style plated diff ~~~ Straight cut but not a dog box ie It still retains synchros.
The engine/box never gave any both on the whole of the rally,once we rectified the clutch problem.
To be honest ~~ I guess the jury is out on sprung/unsprung plates,but if we had not discovered the fault before the Rally ~~~ It could have cost us all the entry/expenses etc etc ~~~ At least it will not happen again,seeing the pedal,adjustment arrangement,with the naff ratchet,we are going to sort an adjustable cable modify the clutch arm and pedal and another potential problem solved ~~~ throttle pedal is going be sorted also.
Rod.

Coops
16-10-2009, 19:32
its not the diff, as said its the input shaft that lots of torque and a harsh clutch seems to kill