PDA

View Full Version : Idle problem ... now and then ... ???

jwa
14-10-2009, 15:03
I have a 1,8 16V Clio ('92)..

I have problems with the idle.

When i am driving around town, max. 2500 rpm, there is no problem.
But if i rew the engine up to approx 5000 rpm., or above, the problems starts. Then the idle is around 1600 rpm..
The problem is solved by turning of the engine, and start it again. Then it goes back to normal.

Whats wrong ? ....

Coops
14-10-2009, 15:12
road speed sensor in the back of the speedo. undo the clocks and pull them out of the dash to reveal the top of the speedo cable. attached to this is the road speed sensor, there will be a little 3 wire multiplug clipped to the top of the speedo. snip the black wire on the speedo cable side of the multiplug (not the loom side) and re-earth this side to the metal behing the dash with a self tapping screw or similar.

if this doesnt work you will require a new cable

jwa
14-10-2009, 15:26
ok .... thank's ....

I will try that .... :)

The car is fitted with Williams instruments. Is that a problem ?

jwa
14-10-2009, 15:31
... i have the orginale instruments to the 1,8 16V.

Will that solve the problem ? ... maybe ....

Coops
14-10-2009, 16:19
no, the instruments will make no difference, its part of the speedo cable

schakal
14-10-2009, 16:21
road speed sensor in the back of the speedo. undo the clocks and pull them out of the dash to reveal the top of the speedo cable. attached to this is the road speed sensor, there will be a little 3 wire multiplug clipped to the top of the speedo. snip the black wire on the speedo cable side of the multiplug (not the loom side) and re-earth this side to the metal behing the dash with a self tapping screw or similar.

if this doesnt work you will require a new cable

have you actually seen a car thats got the problem fixed
with this method ?
i had the same belief over years but this does not work on my renault 9
it still idles 1500rpm .

and recently i have been talkin to scoff ,who has done many f7 conversions on r5 s using ,standard gtt box and spedo cable . he reckons there are no problems like this . you would expect to have all sorts of problems without the road speed sensor feed :roll:

Coops
14-10-2009, 22:49
it worked on my first valver an absolute charm, so yes i have seen a car it works on :wink: