PDA

View Full Version : speedometer cable

jw
13-10-2009, 14:50
hope someone can help, refitted my engine and i cant seem to get the speedometer to work! i have tried many times to put the cable into the diff on the box its going in but doesnt seem to pick up on anything, the nylon part that goes into the diff is the star shaped one to stop the needle wobble so i have seen on here, it was working fine before i rebuilt the engine so i know it works..
are there any trade secrets to getting the bloody thing to work??
the car is over revving when i give it some stick and wants to cut out when i come to a junction its because of the speed sensor yes?
im really fed up with it just want to go out for a nice drive!!!!!!!!!

cliokiz
13-10-2009, 18:30
I'd check the speedo cable at the box end. Make sure it's definately plugged in properly, and make sure there isn't an end of an existing cable stuck in the plastic gear.

Check it's connected to the back of the clocks too.

Might also be worth getting the car on axle stands, put it in gear and get someone to rev it so the wheels spin. Try and look down the hole to see of the plastic gear is turning.

Did you pull out the old 'square' shaped gear to replace with the newer star shaped gear? I tried this on a willy box but ended up ****ing it up, when i pulled out the old plastic gear, whatever it was clipped into inside the box vanished and it wouldn't clip back in again.