PDA

View Full Version : Formula Renault Engine

Adi82
13-10-2009, 09:20
Bit of a random one this but im trying to help a college get a 1991 Formula Renault up and running for next season.

The guy who is leading the project is looking to a fit a 2.0ltr engine to it before the end of this year. Currently there is a 1.7ltr engine, which im guessing was originally fitted the Renault 21, which is mated to a Hewland gearbox (think its a H4)

Does anyone know is the F4R or F7R Renault engines will fit onto the Hewland with the current adaptor plate or is the 1.7ltr engine going to have a different mounting pattern?

I'm also guessing that an new ECU, loom, exhaust and intake manifold and dry sump kit will be required.

Any help would me much apreciated.

Coops
13-10-2009, 09:36
i would guess it may fit, i know some formula renaults ran f3r 2.0 engines with are a derivative of the rsi lump and also found in lagunas. the gearboxes from those cars/engines are all interchangeable with each other and onto the F7 series of engines so its possible its same fitment.

yes you will need all the other stuff you mentioned to get it to fit

Adi82
13-10-2009, 11:27
Thanks for the info. Coops, I just need to find out if there is a difference between the 1.7 engine it currently has and the F3R/F7R in terms of bell housing mounting patterns.

volymmannen
13-10-2009, 18:31
I have a 1,7 F3N in my R5 GTE as a F7R / F7R will fit on the original gearbox well even a F4r will fit,so if the 1,7 fit on the Hewlandbox the other engines will too.