PDA

View Full Version : evening all....

jonboy21t
12-10-2009, 21:24
Hi folks, i'm a potential newbie.......

I'm looking at a Williams 3 on Saturday & just wanted a few tips regarding what to check etc......
I've owned a number of Renaults including 21 Turbos, a few 5's & a Clio Baccarra (rare manual version..bought in France) Anyway, i know to check the cooling system - fans etc & i have a basic mecanical knowledge. What do i need to look for...?? It's had a cambelt change recently & the owner assures me that both the engine & box are in A1 perfect order...

The car is a really clean '95 N plate with 115,000 on the clock, full service history, loads of receipts, paper work & documents etc, it's had 3 owners & from the pictures has no rust on the rear arches & the interior looks super clean..

So it looks like i'm gonna loose my current "hobby" car - an Impreza Turbo & head back down the French route....again.. :D

Look forward to some pointers before Saturday....

Thanks!!

busterhymes
12-10-2009, 21:44
don't its a williams 3 read my sale thread :wink: :)

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37166&highlight=

hi m8 good luck, check body for rear arches, door bottoms, inside tailgate and sills, engines are fairly strong if well looked after so check service history and or receipts gearbox for poor selection noise etc make sure when cam belt was done as quite expensive to get done if you dont do it yourself. check alloys for condition and whether refurb needed can be expensive if needed pristine charge about £300 again can be done DIY cheaper. running gear suspension etc pretty much what you would check on any car worth checking track rods for play on the inboard joints and also steering column for worn flexible joint shows up as vagueness in steering easy fix to weld up. interior check all electrics/gauges work then a road test. sure plenty more comments to come :) :)

MatBrown
12-10-2009, 21:44
With it being a '3', check it's a proper williams and not a replica, should have C57M on the oval plate.

Mat.

jonboy21t
12-10-2009, 21:57
He's assured me it's a genuine Williams 3, but rest assured i will be checking all things - especially the oval plate code - thanks for that one..!!

Coops
12-10-2009, 22:52
welcome

jonboy21t
13-10-2009, 10:03
don't its a williams 3 read my sale thread :wink: :)

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37166&highlight=

hi m8 good luck, check body for rear arches, door bottoms, inside tailgate and sills, engines are fairly strong if well looked after so check service history and or receipts gearbox for poor selection noise etc make sure when cam belt was done as quite expensive to get done if you dont do it yourself. check alloys for condition and whether refurb needed can be expensive if needed pristine charge about £300 again can be done DIY cheaper. running gear suspension etc pretty much what you would check on any car worth checking track rods for play on the inboard joints and also steering column for worn flexible joint shows up as vagueness in steering easy fix to weld up. interior check all electrics/gauges work then a road test. sure plenty more comments to come :) :)

Cheers for your plug....really looking for the latest one possible - plus i'm planning a swap as the chap with the clio is looking for an Impreza Turbo 5 door.......which i happen to have in my garage.... :D :D

jonboy21t
13-10-2009, 10:20
With it being a '3', check it's a proper williams and not a replica, should have C57M on the oval plate.

Mat.

Why should i check it's genuine if it's a 3 & not a 2 or 1...??? was it because adding the sunroof, ABS & changing the colour shade made it easier to replicate..???

Cheers

Coops
13-10-2009, 12:00
mainly the addition of the sunroof made it easier to sling all the bits onto a valver shell and call it a williams. GUNNER's old hybrid was a valver with a complete williams 3 conversion, without looking at the oval plate you'd never of known it wasnt a gen willy 3

jonboy21t
13-10-2009, 13:30
mainly the addition of the sunroof made it easier to sling all the bits onto a valver shell and call it a williams. GUNNER's old hybrid was a valver with a complete williams 3 conversion, without looking at the oval plate you'd never of known it wasnt a gen willy 3

Thanks Coops - that's good advise - i'll make sure i check the oval plate....

:D :D

FATBOY
13-10-2009, 18:44
good luck with your viewing of the car! take in all the advice given on here and you cant go wrong! also, welcome to the site fella.... :D

MatBrown
13-10-2009, 19:25
Also, Where is the car your looking at? someone might be able to come along with you.

Mat.

jonboy21t
14-10-2009, 09:03
Also, Where is the car your looking at? someone might be able to come along with you.

Mat.

Hi Mat, the car's in Birmingham & i'm in Dorset so we're meeting @ the Air Balloon pub on Birdlip Hill - as no money will be exchanged i thought it was safe to meet half way...not the best thing to do, but i'm sure everything will be cool.

If anyone's local & fancies coming along to have a look/give advise, you'd be most welcome. The Air Balloon is on the A417 just off junction 11A of the M5 & we're meeting at 2pm....

I'll be in my Impreza Turbo wagon & he'll be in....yes you guessed it a Williams 3.... :lol: :lol:

jonboy21t
17-10-2009, 23:40
Met up with the Williams 3 today - looked good, but i'm pretty fussy......

Window rubbers were past it, the boot looked like it had been used by a builder, the door cards were poor - to be honest the interior really let the car down. On the outside though the paintwork was mint - really clean. Unfortunately two of the alloys were badly kerbed, but appart from that it looked good.
The engine sounded good & ticked over nice n smooth, under the bonnet the manifold heat shield was missing & the power steering resivoir had a leak.
On the test drive it drove/pulled well but the steering was more wooly than a flock of sheep - truly shocking.... :shock: :shock: common problem i know - it had 2-3 inches of play. The gearbox was "loose" & i had trouble finding gears....
It was a nice car but not for me.........

Think i'll keep looking for now & maybe contact a "local" owner so i can look at a sorted one....

busterhymes
18-10-2009, 08:17
all power steering reservoirs push out some fluid thru breather :(