PDA

View Full Version : Rattling Front Pads?

white16valver
06-10-2009, 18:47
Ok, following my post recently on my new pads: http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37249

I thought I'd post a separate topic so I got some answers ;) lol :P

Basically I just want to check that rattling front pads aren't a problem :?:

New pads haven't got the metal locating spring bits on them so jiggle over small bumps, but they seem perfectly safe in there, just a bit loose.

Is it bad to have this? Do I need to somehow get the springs off the old pads?

Thanks all ;) :D

Justin..
06-10-2009, 21:01
Dont know how bad it is aside from annoyin

You could try drilling off the old springs and riveting them to the new ones?

white16valver
07-10-2009, 13:19
Yeah, might have to do that.

Hassle!

Will email the guy I got them off I think, to see what he says.

Can anyone confirm if they're safe without them?

Thanks all :)

pieman
07-10-2009, 13:27
there not exactly dangerous! however i wouldn't like 2 drive for 2 long with out them cause it could cause damage to the saddle where the pads sitts! saying that tho had cars in at my work were peps have done there own pads then come in MONTHS after doin them, complaining about the rattle! and no damage has been done. They are there for a reason tho bear that in mind! hope that helps

geesus
07-10-2009, 16:16
when i fit my carbone lorraines i removed the spring from the old pads and used it on the new ones

i did it by carefully pinching the clip with a pair of sharp nosed pliers, enough to get it through the hole, then put them on the new pads and tap the clip back into shape using a hammer and small punch

much like removing wheel bearing caps (tap it softly so it distorts enough to get it out, but not too much so that it is not re-usable)

white16valver
07-10-2009, 16:35
Cheers for the replies all :)

I thought that might be the case on getting the old ones off - hopefully it'll be a decently soft metal and won't be a nightmare, but I know my usual luck... lol

Will update when/if I manage it! :lol: