PDA

View Full Version : Typical

Wobba
06-10-2009, 08:56
I was thinking hard about getting an alternator this month to deduce if it was that causing the whining noise. Decided to wait another month and typically the battery light has now come on strong warning of impending 'you're fukced' status in rush hour traffic.

I've had to order a valver one from GSF. I dont run heavy electrics in my car so it should be fine...I hope. Just hope the car holds out until I can get home!

LEIGH-ANNE
06-10-2009, 09:03
Oh dear, thats always a ****er!

You just dont no when its gona happen, and ur right it prob will be on your way home. Youve moved now right?

16v_paddy
06-10-2009, 09:07
Unlucky mate, it's not fun having fun & games with alternators when you're going to work :lol:

I found out the hard way that a new battery will last 3 days of driving if the alternator is fooked, mine died on me right in the middle of a busy dual carriageway junction a few weeks ago :roll:

Coops
06-10-2009, 09:08
i really can't see the siginificance of the williams one being higher rated, if anything it should be the valver, they have electric sunroofs :lol:

Wobba
06-10-2009, 09:25
Oh dear, thats always a f**ker!

You just dont no when its gona happen, and ur right it prob will be on your way home. Youve moved now right?

I have moved yes! means I need car to be working 100%

GSF have one hopefully coming down from London, I hope I can pick it up at lunchtime.

Cheers guys. 3 days? Hmmm....doubt I have that long!

LEIGH-ANNE
06-10-2009, 09:30
When did u order?

16v_paddy
06-10-2009, 09:47

:lol:

I doubt it as well, just thought I'd give you a bit of useless information to brighten up your day :D

It was with a brand spankin new battery btw

Wobba
06-10-2009, 09:51
When did u order?

8.30 am this morning :) He said to call them about 11 to see if its being delivered for lunch. happens to coincide with the busiest day at work all month!

Wobba
06-10-2009, 09:52

:lol:

I doubt it as well, just thought I'd give you a bit of useless information to brighten up your day :D

It was with a brand spankin new battery btw

My battery is about a year old, pretty hardcore one tbh. I am not sure how long the charge will last....last thing I need is to break down on way to GSF!

16v_paddy
06-10-2009, 09:55
Well good luck, I hope you make it to GSF then home ok & this can be the 1 time I don't want to hear another epic wobbanory tale :wink:

Wobba
06-10-2009, 10:22
Well good luck, I hope you make it to GSF then home ok & this can be the 1 time I don't want to hear another epic wobbanory tale :wink:

Lol yea me too! I'm getting too old to push cars about in the rain!

MatrixGuy
06-10-2009, 12:59
My alternator died in November 2007 at 5:30pm rush hour traffic on the way home.

The car came to a stop on a pedestrian crossing..... on a bend... with a bus behind me, lol :lol: I caused a grid lock!

Luckily a few people took pity on me and pushed me onto the pavement.

Smokey McPot
06-10-2009, 13:34
Happened to me too, on the A34, just outside Oxford. Rubbish.

Wobba
06-10-2009, 14:21
Well, I got to GSF at lunch without the warning light coming on, all good. Got new alternator shipped down from London this morning. On way back to work it came on again, went away, then came back.

Will check connections before I go home tonight, but I am very worried about the 10 mile drive home in the rain and rush hour!

Isn't it funny how you notice even more just how ****ING SLOW people are when you don't want to stop the car...

I wonder how much charge I have left...wish me luck!

white16valver
06-10-2009, 14:43
lol People fannying about drive me mad, it's really not that hard to drive smoothly, barely stopping at all the junctions etc!

Hope you make it back ;) lol

Wobba
07-10-2009, 00:10
Well, got home about 7, started on alternator in the dark about 7.30, with my mobile phone light. Finished about 8.40 pm, hurrah!

Car feels kinda more responsive, power steering feels lighter (could be the belt adjustment though). BUT I still have the slight intermittent vibration noise. I suspect it's either things moving a bit more without a couple of the black brackets behind the rad OR vibration from the aux belt tensioner which is fubar'd.

I had exactly the same before on my valver after the HG change, plus tehre is still some whining. It's not the belt tension.

LEIGH-ANNE
07-10-2009, 09:40
Cool

Take it you got to work ok too?

Wobba
07-10-2009, 12:48
Cool

Take it you got to work ok too?

YE!! Stuck in traffic all the way but had all my electrics on and it didn't miss a beat with the new alternator :D

I did get a chance for some high revving fun, which made my morning as I get some HUUUUUUUUUUUGE pops out the back that scared the SHIT out of a few school kids hahahaahaaaaaaaa! I think I made one cry. Made me smile.

col
07-10-2009, 18:43
Had it happen on me r19.....happen to have a hammer with me,tapped the alternator,light went out,lasted 2 weeks,worn out brushes just need some final encouragement :lol:

Gave me enough time to buy new one 8)