PDA

View Full Version : Injector rail removal

talkingfish
01-10-2009, 08:14
Some help please....

Wanting to change my inlet manifold as part of my engine restore, however, this means getting the injector rail off before-hand....

Tried doing this last night - removed the securing bolts and all the surrounding pipes but could I get it to move? No way!!

Any ideas on getting it to shift?

Do you pull it out with the injectors still attached or remove the clips on top of the injectors and just remove the rail? Don't really want to be using WD40 around this area either....

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers!

16v_paddy
01-10-2009, 08:27
The rail should just pop off the injectors, it sometimes requires quite a bit of persuasion tho :wink:

Give it some more welly, just take your time & apply pressure as even as possible and you'll be reet

Wobba
01-10-2009, 09:31
Yea, apply even pressure. What's holding them in is rubber o-rings which when left for years become sealed in. If you damage the o-rings you can get them from Bosch separately.

When you put it all back together bear in mind you don't need to push the injectors back on the rail all the way, forcing them in is not necessary, just need to get them onto the rail so the clips slot back on. I think I put the injectors in the rail first with some silicone lube on the rings designed not to deteriorate rubber, put the clips back on then slot the injectors back into the head, screw the rail into the mani . They tend to settle into place anyway once the rail is screwed in and the clips are on.

Coops
01-10-2009, 09:58
as above really, careful but firm persuasion to remove the rail with the injectors still in it, so leave clips on. on my old valver i used a mini crowbar in the end with lots of padding to protect the surfaces i used for leaverage.

when you refit, once the nuts are tightened back up as wobba says i find if you wiggle the injecters clockwise then anticlockwise they will eventually seat fully and not leak

if you need a hand mate give me a shout, always happy to lend a helping hand in exchange from a brew

talkingfish
01-10-2009, 13:05
thanks for your help guys - I'll haver another "tug" tonight and let you know how I get on.... I've ordered some more injector rubbers in case I damage them....

Chris H
01-10-2009, 13:24
pour a boiled kettle's worth of water over the rail. The hot water softens the o-rings and can help with removal.

MatBrown
01-10-2009, 16:47
WD40 helps too.

Mat.

cliokiz
02-10-2009, 12:22
Rope and an engine crane. Job done :lol:

sideways danny
02-10-2009, 14:02
wd40 or similar direct at the o-rings in the head is the best way to loosen them up

talkingfish
03-10-2009, 14:47
got them out last night after much tugging and WD40.... thanks for your help guys!!