PDA

View Full Version : Williams vs 16v vs Megane starter motor..

Evogone
01-10-2009, 00:17
Whats the difference? where do i get starter for Megane 714 bottom end ?

Coops
01-10-2009, 10:09
basically the 16v started is fatter than the meggie or willy ones, so it wont butt up against the F7R block fully due to the cooling veins in the casting that aren't present on an F7P.

the thinner starters are found on all sorts of other newer renaults aswell with 4 pot engines, believe the one i have on currently came off a 2001 mk2 phase 2 1.6 or something like that :lol:

Chris H
01-10-2009, 10:21
basically the 16v started is fatter than the meggie or willy ones, so it wont butt up against the F7R block fully due to the cooling veins in the casting that aren't present on an F7P.

the thinner starters are found on all sorts of other newer renaults aswell with 4 pot engines, believe the one i have on currently came off a 2001 mk2 phase 2 1.6 or something like that :lol:

they are clearance ribs so the crank can turn! The big ends hit the block without the reliefs.

The older 1.2 starters normally are the thin ones and as coops said the new gen ones are the thinner type

Coops
01-10-2009, 10:22
rib wont provide clearance, i presume you mean its stengthening rib added where the block had been thinned out to accept the longer crank throw :wink:

was just quicker and easier to say cooling vain and no one would care either way :lol:

Chris H
01-10-2009, 10:28
erm the rib does provide clearance, without it the crank won't turn as the big end hits the block

Its not a strengthening rib either, the casting is different and the ribs are there as the retain the blocks wall thickness, where the walls moved out for the crank to rotate, thus a rib on the outside of the block.

Coops
01-10-2009, 10:34
so the F7P has the same ribs right? and same wall thickness, identical structurally but on the F7R the whole lot is just moved slightly further out on the casing ends? i'm struggling to get my head round it is all, i always had my doubts about this started incompatability as externally the blocks look and measure up identically in terms of depth of the ribs and bolting points for the bolt on brackets etc. until the other week then i tried a valver starter on a F7R and low it didnt fit, its a matter of a mm or so but it wouldn't fit. :D

Chris H
01-10-2009, 10:41
no the P doesn't have any ribs. The R is a P block with a different casting the ribs are cast into it to move the wall out from the crank throws so there is clearance for the crank to rotate.

The actual dimensions of height, deck area, sump mounting are identical between each, the difference is the R has vertical ribs that provide clearance.

Coops
01-10-2009, 10:47
i literally stared at the back of both side by side for like an hour last weekend and could see no visible difference. and yes one was definately an R (you can feel the difference driving it). i must be looking at the wrong thing, optical illusion and all that malarky. i'll have another nosey on saturday as this entire concept winds me that i cant damn well see it but its there :lol:

Evogone
01-10-2009, 11:44
So back on topic... :?

What starter to i need? are the megane and williams starter the same thing ?

stan
01-10-2009, 12:52
either a "william" or megane, or has been said one of the newer thinner starters.

G33R7
16-10-2009, 19:23
can anyone give some sort of type of code? i also need one

diditno
18-10-2009, 13:47
ive got a williams one sat in the shed if thats any use.