PDA

View Full Version : Push Button Start

Coops
30-09-2009, 11:08
anyone any idea how to plumb one in? i hacked one out my williams a while back, never really took any notice as to how it all wired in and now i kind of fancy fitting it to the turbo

no clue where to start and no instructions?

Twincam
30-09-2009, 12:42
I wired mine in directly to the key switch via a 40 amp relay and also used the main power supply to the relay from the key

This meant that the car can still be started with the key (this is useful as on an event in a friends 205 rally car the start switch burnt out). It also means it can only be cranked when the key is turned onto the second stage

Theres many different ways to wire it depending on how you want it to function

I can find out what coloured wires I used if you want to wire yours the same way

Coops
30-09-2009, 13:06
if you can mate that would be excellent, i would like it wired same as you so i can choose to use the button or choose not to

cheers

Ben

fani
30-09-2009, 13:46
the starting system from renault megane or clio with the start button, without the card, is it usefull ? it can be fitted to a clio ?

Laine_16v
30-09-2009, 21:30
Push button start is epic gay in my books.

YOu have to put the key in and turn it still, why reach over and push a button when you can just click the key a notch further.

Pointless tat.

.....might go buy one. :lol:

Laine_16v
30-09-2009, 21:31
the starting system from renault megane or clio with the start button, without the card, is it usefull ? it can be fitted to a clio ?

Guaranteed you cant, the card system will be intertwined into the ECU. So nope

Justin..
30-09-2009, 21:38
ive got one to fit complete with instructions. could scan them in if you like?

Coops
30-09-2009, 22:27
lol,chip on your shoulder young lainer :wink: don't stifle my inner chav with your wafflings :P

justin, would be legend if you could mate yes

Justin..
30-09-2009, 22:39
ok mate i'll dig it out the shed lol, give this thread a bump if i forget :lol:

Justin..
04-10-2009, 19:33
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/justin_2k5/100_4295.jpg

Twincam
11-10-2009, 19:20
Sorry for the late reply coops but here you go,
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Valver_Twincam/P1110212.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Valver_Twincam/P1110216.jpg
The bottom picture is the back of the starter key.

Now for the relay I used a 40amp one from maplin

First you need to tap a wire into the left yellow wire (I stripped the wire back soldered my switch wire to it then taped it up). This wire then runs to one side of your start switch. The wire coming back out of the other side of the switch needs to run into pin 86 of the relay. The other pin 85 needs to be earthed.

Next you need a live into the relay (pin 87). You can use the red wire (top right of the key switch) in the key switch as this is permanent live. Mine is cut in the picture as this is used to kill the car through the kill switch

From the last pin of the relay, pin 30. You need to tap the wire into the orange wire. When this wire is live it will crank the engine

Hope this makes sense
If you have any problems just ask
Richard

DaneC
11-10-2009, 20:24
Theres a guide in the Haynes Modified Manual too.

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!BZUZwWgCGk~$(KGrHgoH-DwEjlLlzbOWBKmGNrv)C!~~_12.JPG

Coops
11-10-2009, 22:46
bloody hell, i have that manual somewhere as well from years back when i had my RT :oops: will dig it out

cheers for all the advice etc people 8)

Coops
12-10-2009, 23:37
right i reckon i can follow the instructions you guys have provided, only issue i have is my relay is different, it has pins 1-5 on it, not 86/87/30 etc so not sure what i need to wire to what to get it to work

i presume the 2 big spades will be for live feeds and other 3 smaller ones for the others? question is i'm going to have to piss about testing it, will i screw anything/burn it out by connecting stuff wrong or will a trail and error approach work?

cheers

Ben

Twincam
13-10-2009, 06:28
Have you got the pin numbers from your relay ben?

If so you might be able to find a diagram online for it. It'l be alot quicker than trial and error.

Also be careful not to run a live straight to earth else you will warm things up a little :wink:

Coops
13-10-2009, 09:33
theres some model numbers on the relay itself, so may be able to find more info with a bit of google action!

will keep you posted how i go on, hopefully without any battery shorting action :lol: