PDA

View Full Version : mystery part

talkingfish
29-09-2009, 09:15
Hi Guys,

Took the engine out of 0425 this weekend - went OK but found a part that I don't know what it is.... it is under the drivers side arch next to the horn, a big black tube containing a solanoid I think with a hole in the bottom... any ideas??

Cheers.

MAXIBOY
29-09-2009, 09:47
you mean the charcoal cannister..

Wobba
29-09-2009, 10:02
Yea that's the cannister...while you are there get rid of the huge block of pig iron that weights 6kg or whatever. It's pointless.

Coops
29-09-2009, 11:23
i heard a rumour about why the engines coming out lad................see you on the 19th october :wink:

talkingfish
29-09-2009, 13:28
so what does the charcoal cannister do then??

Coops - do you know something I don't?? :?

Coops
29-09-2009, 14:14
believe your booked in for a bay respray same day the turbo is back in for its waxoyl service fella

charcoal canister filters fuel vapour and returns it to the tank, its to help improve emissions, but the car will pass an MOT without it no problem.

in all honesty however, if your car is to remain stock i'd leave it and the massive lump of pig iron that holds it in place

talkingfish
29-09-2009, 14:31
car's off to Lee either today or tomorrow.... sounds like it's got a few weeks of prep. before entering the booth then... I told him he could take his time... I need 3-4 weeks to sort the engine out and other bits & bobs.... try and catch a piccy if you are there though....

I'll keep the charcoal cannister on then.... :wink:

Coops
29-09-2009, 16:06
ah right, he had you in his diary same day i'm dropping off the turbo in a few weeks :lol:

Chris H
01-10-2009, 10:13
believe your booked in for a bay respray same day the turbo is back in for its waxoyl service fella

charcoal canister filters fuel vapour and returns it to the tank, its to help improve emissions, but the car will pass an MOT without it no problem.

in all honesty however, if your car is to remain stock i'd leave it and the massive lump of pig iron that holds it in place

close but no cigar!

The charcoal canister stores stray HC's which due to petrols high vapour release which is even higher due to the pump and its return there can be quite a high amount of.

It then introduces these HC's from the charcoal canister into the inlet manifold under certain conditions to purge the canister.

But yes its for emmisions compliance. It has nothing to do with the MOT as it won't affect emmisions under testign conditions.

Coops
01-10-2009, 10:21
dammit, i was close :D

Chris H
01-10-2009, 10:22
just a pipe wrong mate, closer than most.

Sometimes the issue happens with themrs, theres 2 pipes so to speak awful close together