PDA

View Full Version : Tour of Mull 2009

cliorod
27-09-2009, 19:15
Happy days :lol: :lol: Well sort of :roll: :roll: I have sorted a deal out to compete on this fantastic "closed road rally" called by many as the best rally in the world !!! :wink: :wink:
The Deal !!!!~~~
I am co-driving in my car :shock: :lol: :shock: ,with an aquaintance who has some reasonable pedigree ~~ finished the Roger Albert Clark Rally in his Historic Ford Cortina GT in 2008 :wink:
He has paid the entry,bought 8 brand new tyres,paid to have 4 x 55watt HID lamps fitted to the lamp pod,ordered 100litres high octane fuel paid £600 insurance for total loss to the car whilst competing.I have bought some new pace notes :oops: :oops: and borrowed an in date set of Sparco Triple layer overalls.
I wanted to do the event this year ~~ It is the 40th Anniversary of the rally,and it could be my swansong :cry: :cry: ~~ Age and finance is finally creeping in.
If you log into the website you will be able to keep up to date with things as they happens.We are hoping for a safe and trouble free event

We are seeded at car 119 :lol:
www.2300club.org :shock:

2 live
27-09-2009, 19:19
good luck mate. i know how much u love this event, hope you get past the tricky bits that caught u out last time... keep us all updated.

cliorod
27-09-2009, 20:12
Ta for that Jon~~ The first two stages are through the town of Tobermory :lol: :shock: :lol: Super specials as they are known ~~ First intstruction "100 yards FLAT into chicane left entry :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: around the clock tower /Memorial !!!!! :shock: :shock:
I hope my mate does not F**k up around there ~~ well embarassing if we do :oops: :oops: :oops:
Should have better visibility with the new pod lights though :driving: :rally:

2 live
27-09-2009, 21:43
im sure ul b fine mate lol.

alex_e3
29-09-2009, 19:55
Hi Rod!

The mrs and myself will be there this year with team Anglia as normal! Mike has a fancy new engine this year - but has only had a small event to give the car a shakedown :?

I must admit the thought of the first stage through the middle of Tobes is just spine tingling! Can't wait to see it. I hope we don't miss out being chase car or i'll be gutted!

I hope things go well for you this year after what's happened in previous years. Good luck!

cliorod
29-09-2009, 23:47
Cheers Alex.

Come up and see us if /when you are free.Can you please mention to Judith and all the gang about my Charity Music Quiz in the MISHNISH :roll: :roll:
:oops: on Wednesday night ~~ a good laugh for a good cause ~~ RNLI or Cancer Reasearch ~~ not decided which yet ~~ got some good raffle prizes :wink: :roll: :wink: :oops:

Wobba
30-09-2009, 00:46
Sounds awesome dude! Good luck and we will be watching with interest!

col
30-09-2009, 20:21
Plenty of opposite lock Rod...good luck an stay safe mate :lol:

cliorod
01-10-2009, 01:30
Many thanks for all the good wishes :wink: :lol: :wink: very much appreciated ~~ i'm filling up now :therethere:
Anyway a couple of photos,of the old car on Mull (Me driving) and the new one :wink: :wink:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/Picture464.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/Picture467.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/003-3.jpg

See you when we get back,My driver has gone out over Lythe Fell & Gisburn Forest roads (Stocks Reservoir) tonight :gears: :gears: :twisted: :evil: Ahem setting the lights !!!!! and bedding the brakes in

Evogone
01-10-2009, 08:33
May come knowing on your door next year for Mull..! :wink:

Happy to go all in for what is one of the best events in the world. Even know someone who has a holiday home on the island. 8)

Good luck Rod.

Evogone
01-10-2009, 08:35
May come knowing on your door next year for Mull..! :wink:

Happy to go all in for what is one of the best events in the world. Even know someone who has a holiday home on the island. 8)

Good luck Rod.

Using the word knocking rather than knowing in the first sentance helps it make sense DOH.... :oops:

2 live
01-10-2009, 19:36
Many thanks for all the good wishes :wink: :lol: :wink: very much appreciated ~~ i'm filling up now :therethere:
Anyway a couple of photos,of the old car on Mull (Me driving) and the new one :wink: :wink:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/Picture464.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/Picture467.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/003-3.jpg

See you when we get back,My driver has gone out over Lythe Fell & Gisburn Forest roads (Stocks Reservoir) tonight :gears: :gears: :twisted: :evil: Ahem setting the lights !!!!! and bedding the brakes in

looking well that mate.

hehe.il be heading over the gisburn roads myself this weekend i think. only il be heading towards throwing the bike thru the forest ;)

cliopete
01-10-2009, 23:54
Hi Rod,
Spotted this afternoon driving a new Fiat 500 what's all that about then???
Good luck on the Tour of Mull and come back in one piece.

Pete

cliorod
02-10-2009, 15:45
Hi Pete,
Long time no see, :( :( Would have loved to have chatted etc but was picking Diane up from work :wink: :wink: The Cop Shop !!!! :oops: :roll: :oops: ,
The Fiat ??? :lol: :shock: :lol: ~~ Courtesy car ~~ someone hit Dianes valver in Asda car park etc etc ~~ he admits responsibilty etc ~~ bit of a bummer as it will no doubt be a "Total Loss" :cry: :cry: ,but if the deal from the insurers is ok ~~ buy it back ~~ get a van and collect some parts from Mat and get it sorted !!!

cliorod
03-10-2009, 19:05
Ah the Joys of Rallying !!!! :cry: :twisted: :roll: ,Last day before the car goes on the trailer and ???? f******k the B**t**d loses drive,mad panic to sort it out ~~ fingers crossed it was/is only a Stretched cable /ratchet mechanism on the pedal ~~ clutch not disengaging ~~ new cable available and also a pedal ~~~ suppose it is better now,than 3 miles into the stages next week !!!!

See you all in cuple of weeks

Rodders.

alex_e3
09-10-2009, 19:42
Good luck Rod!

Half an hour before kick off here on Mull! Off to do my emergency service bit in a minute!!!

Oszy
11-10-2009, 10:03
I can not find the entry list :cry:
hope more luck now :wink:

Evogone
11-10-2009, 11:43
Well don to Rod and Dave Whittaker for finishing the rally, it a huge feat to finish this rally.

Well done Rod.! :D :D :D 8)

Ahmed Bayjoo
11-10-2009, 19:46
http://www.2300club.org/downloads/content/results/09_final.pdf

alex_e3
12-10-2009, 21:16
As said above, well done to you both - was nice to briefly chat to you!

Can't believe how many people didn't actually finish this year - some big offs there were!

cliorod
14-10-2009, 13:30
Hi Guys,
Many many thanks for all your best wishes,I forgot my password to log in on my mates pc Doh !!! :oops: hence no on event reports :cry:
I will post pictures as I get them,there are a couple under the thread "Tour of Mull" on the British rally forum ~~ stage rallies

www.britishrally.co.uk.

Finished a lowly 73 out of 75/76,but from 150 starters,luckier than some,a guys Triumph TR8's engine let go (broken crank) 50 yards from the start.

Briefly our tales of Woe.
1) Clutch problem ~~ not the cable or the pedal,but a torsion spring from the sprung hub paddle clutch ,decided to pop out and make a bid for freedom :twisted: :twisted:
We put a standard clutch in on Tuesday ~~ borrowed a mates garage in Tobermory.
2) Alternator started playing up ~~ so we changed it.
3) 2nd stage ~~~ water temp up and over 112 ~~ thankfully stages 3& $ were cancelled,so we topped it up with fresh water.
4) Stage 6 :~ Gribun Rocks ~~ warned of cattle on the road !!!!! :o :shock: :cry: ~~ Fook me two huge cows ambling in the road ~~~ used them as a chicane at around 60mph,some other poor guy had hit the wall and left a huge rock in the road :roll: :roll:Oh my god thump :twisted: :twisted: Driver hit this with drivers side wheel ~~~ back home after this so not real problem ~~~ oh yes about 6degrees negative camber and way out of track.
5) Saturday morning check over ~~~ Bent TCA and rack mounting rubbers loose ~~ sorted out and off for a good run ~~ which we did.
6)Started the long one a 22mile stage :~ happy days :lol: :lol: ~~~ oh yes !!!!! 3miles in and that fooking plastic clip/bracket that holds the throttle pedal "throws its hand in" ~~~ result a maximum stage time and a lowly run over the next stage "Mishnish Lochs" and back to service,a new block fitted and off we go Stages 15 & 16 cancelled,
So only stage 17 to go and we would have a finish :~ nowt to stop us now was there :cry: :roll: :cry: Oh yes there was !!!!! :cry: :cry:
Moving up to the line,the ignition light comes on ~~~ Oh well lets hope the new "Odessey" 44amp battery can carry us through ~~ so on sidelights and dipped beam,off we set and yes we arrive at the finish control with still 9v in the battery ~~~~ well happy ~~~ back to Tobermory and two Tunnocks pies a can of cider ~~~ just what is needed at 4am Sunday morning.
Even with np auxillary lights we beat several competitors :evil: :lol:
I have been rallyinf for ages and realise where you finish is where you finish,but if you look at the times or our competitors and our problems,without the problems we would have been around 40th without much bother ~~ purely subjective though :roll: :roll:
A couple of things ~~~ The engine was/is as still as sweeet as it was,when we started the gearbox a 5 speed straight cur close ratio (of unknown origin) with a ZF style plated LSD still 110% perfect ~~~ and built in a JB3 casing.
Thanks again to all,especially Alec for the words of encouragement.

People were well impressed by the turn of speed,when the little machine got a clear run.

cliopete
14-10-2009, 15:02
Well done Rod. Was this your swansong or will you be at it again next year??? You can't be far off your bus pass now!!! :) :)

Pete

cliorod
14-10-2009, 17:44
Was deffo going to be my swansong ~~~ BUT ?????, :D :roll: :D Who knows,it is all down to the cash ~~~ as with most things,Dave ~~ the driver was talking about the "JAKS bar Rally" in the Isle of Man in March so watch this space.

Evogone
15-10-2009, 00:05
SOL or Carnival rally Barbados are the ones all the Brits and Irish are all going to now. Awsome events watched them many a time..!

cliorod
15-10-2009, 18:06
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/whittakerbreretonMull.jpg

As promised the first of several pictures taken from the Rally,please note the negative camber :oops: :x drivers side,caused by clobbering a big rock :roll: :roll: .

picture is by kind permission of Rob Lees

rob@roblees.freeserve.co.uk :~ If anyone wants a copy

If I have put the picture in the wrong thread,mods please move it.

Rodders.