PDA

View Full Version : Tax / MOT evasion probably worth it?

GabrielKnight
27-09-2009, 01:12
I'm as law abiding as the next, but I've just got away without tax / MOT for the best part of a month, albeit by mistake.

I've been snowed under, covering for a manager that has left, basically doing two jobs for one for the last 6 weeks. In the confusion, I failed to notice that my tax and MOT ran out about 4 weeks ago.

I've MOT'd and taxed now, but can't help but notice that I never received a reminder that I was potentially breaking the law for 25 days without realising it. I think the law should be more proactive in this respect. I'd be here complaining if the fuzz were too proactive, but with no prompts I can't help but wonder how long I could have got away with it at honest drivers (me, when I've got it together) expense.

DaneC
27-09-2009, 18:03
Yawn :roll:

Justin..
27-09-2009, 18:10
All it takes is one PNC camera and your arse would have been grass. Luck of the draw. My friend got away with no mot on his car for 6 months.

Jamie.
27-09-2009, 18:13
One of the cars I was going to see has a similar story.

When the owner was writing up the add he noticed his MOT timed out by 3months.

He booked it in and got it re-done and then re-submitted the add.

(I didn't buy this one).

GabrielKnight
27-09-2009, 19:19
I've got away with the MOT , straight pass, but the tax disk backdated it to the beginning of the month, despite declaring Sorn while I got my paperwork in order, so I didn't really get away with it as much as expected. 190GBP for tax, gosh!

GavinMccoull
28-09-2009, 00:13
If you get pulled without an mot is it not just a fine? Some evil traffic copper once told me that your insurance would be void which i don't believe because on claim forms for insurance it states 'does the vehicle have an mot?' and if you tick the no box they take 20% off what your cars worth.

Justin..
28-09-2009, 00:21
no, you get a fine if no tax. insurance is void if no MOT as the car isnt road legal.

Justin..
28-09-2009, 00:21
** road worthy not road legal **

DaneC
28-09-2009, 09:24
no, you get a fine if no tax. insurance is void if no MOT as the car isnt road legal.

Not strictly true - well you can't get done for having no insurance because you have no MOT .

16v_paddy
28-09-2009, 09:27

Not strictly true - well you can't get done for having no insurance because you have no MOT .

You can, it's down to the discretion of the copper stopping you for it, if he's in the mood he can throw the book at you & do you for as many offences as he can find

DaneC
28-09-2009, 09:30
Use, cause or permit a vehicle to be used on a road without a test certificate is an offence under Section 47, RTA 1988.
Penalty: Fine of up to £2,500 (if the vehicle has 8 or more seats), £1,000 (otherwise). No disqualification, endorsement or points can be awarded.

DaneC
28-09-2009, 09:32
Also, "The insurer would have to prove there was something about your car which made it unroadworthy. Simply not having an MOT is not sufficient for the to pursue you."

16v_paddy
28-09-2009, 09:47
Still not worth the risk though :wink:

DaneC
28-09-2009, 10:10
No, of course not! Nice to have some sort of protection incase something does go wrong though :D

GavinMccoull
29-09-2009, 19:20
Yes not worth taking the risk however my friend got pulled without an mot once and only got a £30 fine.

GabrielKnight
30-09-2009, 23:32
Yawn :roll:

Sad that you find my posts so boring. Sad to say that I or no-one else has been interested in yours. In future, stay away from mine and I'll make the corragious decision to manage my, and my subscribers life without yours : )