PDA

View Full Version : Quality air filter for Willy

GabrielKnight
27-09-2009, 00:43
I'm coming up for a service and worried they will just put in a cheap paper air filter.

As a driver, not a mechanic, what's the setup in a Williams? In my Clio 1, there was a paper ring held in a container that I replaced with a K&N unit that made a dfference, if only in the sound the engine made.

Is the Willy like this or does it use one of those filters shaped like it would fit an upturned bowl? What's the difference between the two types of filter? Atm, my Willy 3 is very 'standard'.

Ultimately, I've got a service in a few days time, I want to get the best performance air filter at a reasonable price that will give me a good sound / performance, without being too unofficial (can be reverted to normal Renault np) and won't bollox my engine on a 5000 mile oil change.

GabrielKnight
27-09-2009, 00:50
To confirm after some PMs, I don't want an air filter 'kit' that changes where air is siphoned from a non-standard vent. I want to know the best air filter product that is hot-swappable in a 'standard' Williams. Ta.

Allan
27-09-2009, 01:12
ITG panel filter..
its just a round filter which fits in the box...
And there is no problems with the standard air filter they work just aswell as the foam ones.

keep them changed when servicing and it will be fine.

GabrielKnight
27-09-2009, 01:21
Oh, I'd foolishly assumed a 'panel' filter was one that fitted into what looks like a panel ie. a rectangular box. But I see a panel filter can also be one of the upturned bowl shaped filter. Do K&N do one as well as I've learned to trust them over the years.

GabrielKnight
27-09-2009, 09:50
I've been onto the K&N site, but it recommends one of the following for a '1995 Clio mk1 2L':

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=E-9138
This looks like an quick replacement, but its rectangular. Is this right?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-0045
This is the upside down bowl shape, but it comes with a short pipe so may be a bit more involved?

speed
27-09-2009, 10:37
top one look right but id get a itg filter,

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p91/ITG-Air-Filter-for-RENAULT-Clio-16V-(%3E1998)/product_info.html

speed
27-09-2009, 10:39
link fail.
you need

ITG Air Filter - Performance Profilter to fit RENAULT Clio 16V (>1998) - BH-109

they are £26 so prob cheaper than k&n too

GabrielKnight
27-09-2009, 18:25
I don't think that's the right one. >1998 would make it a mark II.

I've had two recommendations for ITG, but I really do like K&N, so what be really grateful if anyone could guide me to which one to get, if there is one.

ThRaXaIR
27-09-2009, 22:24
hey Boy, listen to your elders! you want an ITG! good panels just as good as any K&N plus you wont look like a chav. lol im just playing but seriously....ITG

:D

drsmith1979
29-09-2009, 05:49
ITG filter will give you better running than the K&N in this case, Merlin motorsport is where i got my last one from i think? Just drop it in and forget about it....

Although if you wanted some more air feeds it is pretty easy to do...