PDA

View Full Version : £100 for a cambelt?!

GabrielKnight
26-09-2009, 10:32
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1748

About £100 with VAT and delivery.

What can this one do that a £30 belt won't? Presumably it will still need a change in the same time.

Also it doesn't say who manufactures it. There's a Piper cambelt for £50 on eBay. How do I know that this one's better?

16v_paddy
26-09-2009, 10:36
you can get the same kit from gsf cheaper than k-tec :wink:

GabrielKnight
26-09-2009, 10:37
Ah, from picture 2, it looks like it an authentic Renault kit. I guess that's how much they are then.

And using the Piper one would make my Williams non-standard I guess.

16v_paddy
26-09-2009, 10:41
I doubt it's a genuine renault kit, k-tec just get pattern parts then just mark the price up :roll:

doesn't really matter what you get as long as it's got the tensioners with it you'll be fine

matty w
26-09-2009, 10:44
but if you use a geniune renault kit and it fails renault will pay for a rebuild if its there kit that fails,gsf arent going to do that

GabrielKnight
26-09-2009, 10:48
Looks like a Renault box in pic 2.

16v_paddy
26-09-2009, 10:56
but if you use a geniune renault kit and it fails renault will pay for a rebuild if its there kit that fails,gsf arent going to do that

Nope, renault will tell you to get stuffed & say you didnt fit it right & you're not gonna be able to argue against it

16v_paddy
26-09-2009, 10:59
Looks like a Renault box in pic 2.

maybe so but I seriously doubt the kit they send will be genuine renault, if you really do want genuine go to renault otherwise shop around k-tec just do a bigger mark up on pattern parts because they're k-tec :roll: shop around is my advice :wink:

schakal
26-09-2009, 11:52
ktech is a bit ghey with certain parts tbh .
i.e the same turbo manifold is 300quid in ktech where as you can buy
exact same manifold for 185quid from elsewhere .

busterhymes
26-09-2009, 16:56
get ur price from renault if you want genuine sure its cheaper i got mine for about £80 with a bit of discount :wink: but GSF is probably best as mentioned

number1
26-09-2009, 20:21
Gates make Renault Belts and most other manufacturers, You could go to renault and i bet you'd get a Gates belt, doesnt matter whats on the Box, they should all be guaranteed, but... A cambelt company will wiggle out of any failure Claims unless you use one of their Fancy Tension Testing kits, Which Are Silly Expensive,
Just go to your local parts shop and get a belt or kit, These "piper" belts i doubt are actually uprated and probably just have a Brand name Stamped on them

GabrielKnight
26-09-2009, 20:43
One wonders how much they actually cost to manufacture. They just look like a glorified thick rubber band, lol.

number1
26-09-2009, 20:54
well Try Googling it, They mass Produce a Big long roll, and then cut the right thickness, obviously needs the right amount of teeth for each application though!

GabrielKnight
26-09-2009, 22:38
I imagined thats how it would be done, but for a large manufacturer you would think this would work out at a few quid each when mass produced. The mark up must be 'significant'.

matty w
27-09-2009, 09:31

Nope, renault will tell you to get stuffed & say you didnt fit it right & you're not gonna be able to argue against it

it was nick hill who told me that because he had got an engine build out of renault

queegan
27-09-2009, 11:43

it was nick hill who told me that because he had got an engine build out of renault

yeah maybe for him but for us average joes you havent got a chance of that

sideways danny
27-09-2009, 15:46
I doubt it's a genuine renault kit, k-tec just get pattern parts then just mark the price up :roll:

doesn't really matter what you get as long as it's got the tensioners with it you'll be fine

it's most likely Gates, which IS genuine

the tensioners are the pricey bit, if you wanted them separate they'd be somewhere in the region of £40 each

GabrielKnight
27-09-2009, 16:40
The box is exactly the same as the one my official Renault oil filter came in. Can't see ktec resorting to photographing gear in Renault endorsed boxes they didn't come in.