PDA

View Full Version : Why are you showing me NO BLOODY LOVE willy?

_ol_
25-09-2009, 14:40
Seems that no matter what I do to make it better, how well I look after it, *something* keeps going wrong...

I think it's mad at me for not washing it in a couple of weeks.

Either way, this new issue popped up today while driving into London for a meeting...

It's an odd one.

The only way I can describe it, is imagine you're driving along, car in 5th or whatever, you take your foot off the accelerator and coast along still in gear.

It's not all the way down the rev range, but at certain rev speeds, it starts to make a tapping noise under the hood, and I can feel the tapping on the wheel - like driving over cats eyes or something.

The tappoing noise slows as the car slows....

It does it in every gear, but the noise seems to come in at different rev speeds, depending on what the noise is.

Spoke to my step dad, and he thought (something like) the prop shaft bearing, or something along those lines.

If I put my foot on the clutch, the tapping stops, and it doesn't make the noise when accelerating, only when slowing down.

The sound is a bit like a wood pecker or something I suppose.

Anyway, has anyone got any ideas? Should I stop driving immediately?

I'm at my wits end pretty much now - every time I fix one thing, another comes along pretty soon after - clutching at straws, and any advice would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ol

Tommo
25-09-2009, 14:47
Just turn the stereo up mate, problem solved

_ol_
25-09-2009, 15:04
But I can feel it tapping on my hands! And it's usually out of time with the beat... Maybe I should listen to techno?

katbloke
25-09-2009, 15:06
wheel bearing? something wrong with the front tyres perhaps?

_ol_
25-09-2009, 15:14
Wheel bearing changed about a month ago, the other was fine (Had a Renault check when I got it), and the wheels - yeah maybe, but what could be the issue?

Coops
25-09-2009, 15:15
sounds like could be same issue as my turbo has mate, input shaft on the gearbox and the differential bearings on there way out. mine does it when you let off in gear, rattles its tits off

also if you leave car sat on idle, get out and listen can hear a rattle that sounds like clutch release bearing, and that rattle goes if you depress the clutch.

_ol_
25-09-2009, 15:29
That sounds about right you know...

How much do you rekon it would cost to fix it? Is it doing any damage to the car? Should I stop using it for now?

I just can't afford another big car bill this month - £400 a month for 2 months + another this month would wipe me out :(

Coops
25-09-2009, 16:26
keep driving it till it blows mate, it shouldn't damage out else but be prepared to have to buy a new box at some point!

mines been like it on turbo power for 6 months now and still going and a mate of mine has same issue on his 172 and its been like it for well over a year of daily use!

_ol_
25-09-2009, 16:30
So what you're saying is, be on the lookout for a cheap Williams Gearbox ;)

I'll just drive it till it blows up then like you say so long as it's not hurting the rest of the car... Shame I have to put up with the noise...

What did he used to do in Matilda? Saw dust in the gear box wasn't it ;) HAha.

Coops
25-09-2009, 18:40
:lol:

yeah man, sawdust is the future :D

_ol_
26-09-2009, 10:29
Y'know, was driving it again yesterday and I'm not sure that it...

Seems to be coming more regularly now... I think I'm gonna take it down to Renault and ask a technician if he wouldn't mind having a drive to tell me what he thinks...

Just feels really weird...

katbloke
26-09-2009, 10:43
still be tempted to look at the easier stuff before contemplatina gearbox rebuild, cv joints, wheel bearings track rods, they can all give feedback through wheel

Laine_16v
26-09-2009, 18:38
sounds like could be same issue as my turbo has mate, input shaft on the gearbox and the differential bearings on there way out. mine does it when you let off in gear, rattles its tits off

also if you leave car sat on idle, get out and listen can hear a rattle that sounds like clutch release bearing, and that rattle goes if you depress the clutch.

Ive had that rattle in my past 2 gearboxes. Chatters its nuts off at idle, espeically with a lumpy idle.

_ol_
28-09-2009, 08:20
OK now feeling some resistance when putting it into 1st and 2nd gear... This is turning quite serious quite quickly...

Coops
28-09-2009, 09:59
typical symptoms man, look out for a new box soon ;-)

_ol_
28-09-2009, 10:35
Yeah I'm looking around now... Gutting.

How much do you rekon I'm looking at inc fitting?

I guess it's worth getting other bits fixed while it's in there - Hoses, Cambelt and the rest...

Coops
28-09-2009, 11:32
not sure mate, depends on who's doing the work etc

believe garage book time for a clio gearbox swap, just the box, is 8 hours @ whatever the rate per hour is

parts and fluids will be more on top of that

_ol_
28-09-2009, 15:58
OK good to know... *Hopefully* though it *looks* like it might be sortable pretty easily...

Took it to the local independent garage and he jumped in for a ride - Listening to it, he rekons either engine mounts or anti roll bar...

The knocking noise he didn't think had anything to do with the gearbox which was why he suggested anti-roll bar, and for the resistance on the gears, he rekons can be explained by a dodgy engine mount - which kinda makes sense.

He's going to put it on the ramp for me Wednesday so I'll know for sure then, but in the mean time it doesn't look *too* fatal.

We'll see.

_ol_
30-09-2009, 15:50
OK it now looks like this is the gear shift pole thingy hitting the catalyst heat shield.

It doesn't *look* like the gearstick has dropped, so really just scratching my head how it could now rub against the heat shield when it didn't before - Had it on the ramps today though and it's rubbing on it for sure...