PDA

View Full Version : cam belt cover?

diathermy
23-09-2009, 12:15
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there is supposed to be a cover over the cam belt. Mine is exposed.

No history withg the car so I do not know when or even if it has been replaced. Thinking of doing it myself but a bit worried about cocking it up. If I do I guess would be easier with engine out? could change other bits too?

DaneC
23-09-2009, 12:25
I'm guessing you mean the lower covers as the top one bolts onto the top mount, yeah it is meant to be covered. My old Williams had them missing too.

As for the change, much easier with engine out, but far from impossible in the bay. Space is the main problem, there are marks on the new belts so cocking up the timing isn't easy. Engine out means you could do water pump which is highly recommended by guys on here.

Wobba
23-09-2009, 14:01
Both pump and belt are doable in the car. I'd say the pump is more of a pain than the belt due to the obscene amount of bolts and pulley brackets you need to get off.

Read up heavily on timing, and refer back to the million and one questions already asked about cambelt replacement (mostly by me! :D).

Dont mess up the timing is all I can say and get the tension correct for the belt. Oh, and change the aux belt at the same time. You'll learn a lot.

Coops
23-09-2009, 15:25
you got to be pretty useless to mess up the timing, theres marks all over everything to make sure you get it right :wink:

Wobba
23-09-2009, 16:01
you got to be pretty useless to mess up the timing, theres marks all over everything to make sure you get it right :wink:

The reason there are marks everywhere is because to fukc it up is pretty catastrophic!

Coops
23-09-2009, 16:11
lol, too right, hence the turn her over a few times to check test before you start it, point is its pretty simple to time up correctly imo

Smokey McPot
23-09-2009, 16:17
Seriously, its like a black art to me. I can trade some knowledge about clinical chemistry and human biology if you want. This mechanical lark is beyond me.

Wobba
25-09-2009, 13:49
lol, too right, hence the turn her over a few times to check test before you start it, point is its pretty simple to time up correctly imo

He means turn it over BY HAND not on the starter ;)[/b]