PDA

View Full Version : Engine Removal...

1995clio16v
21-09-2009, 10:04
Sorry guys, cant be arsed using the forum search. I find it impossible to use!

What do I disconnect to remove the engine. Gonna do it this weekend coming. Now aquired an engine crane.

Ive disconnected the exhaust, and manifold this weekend. **** me how heavy is the F7P manifold!

Drained the oil and coolant. PS - Just moved into a new rented house last week, missed my tub for the oil and its fooking everywhere, ALL over the drive! :shock:

Where do I go from here for removing engine...?

:o

cliokiz
21-09-2009, 10:11
Speedo cable, coolant pipes need disconnecting from the back (leading to the matrix), brake servo vacuum hose (look behind dizzy cap), king lead, gearbox earth strap, remove ECU and unplug it, leave wiring loom on the engine, need to disconnect loom behind passenger headlight, gear linkage (MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THIS OFF THE RIGHT WAY!), dogbone mount, bracket on back of gearbox (just to prevent you damaging PAS rack), top gearbox mount, driveshafts, vacuum hose from inlet to behind drivers side headlight, PAS pipework under inlet manifold, clutch cable, throttle cable, fuel lines, lambda sensor

That's all i can think of from the top of my head

Wobba
21-09-2009, 10:27
Don't forget the bonnet :D

cliokiz
21-09-2009, 11:58
I can come and do it for you if you like lol

16v_paddy
21-09-2009, 12:20

WHORE!!! :lol:

1995clio16v
22-09-2009, 10:25

Leicestershire>Preston? FOC

:lol:

cliokiz
22-09-2009, 12:44
Which preston?

busterhymes
22-09-2009, 12:46
Which preston?

lancs? :wink:

1995clio16v
25-09-2009, 11:25
Yeah, Lancs!

To be honest, no need.

Im gonna disconnect everything this weekend, and go for next weekend for removal.

No doubt more questions over the next week.

8)

1995clio16v
27-09-2009, 17:43
mount, bracket on back of gearbox (just to prevent you damaging PAS rack), top gearbox mount, driveshafts,

Good guide.

Everything off bar mounts and d/shafts.

A) You say take gear linkage off right way. I pulled that rubber seal back and undid the bolt underneath, think it was 13mm. It was then a fork arrangement, i simply pushed this off. Correct?

B) D/shafts. Best way to take these off? I only want to disconnect from box end for now. Both sides. Haynes manual seems as though it goes round the houses...

16v_paddy
27-09-2009, 17:59
You've done the linkage right.

Best way for the shafts is to undo the wishbone ball joints - the 2 bolts on the wishbone itself & not the pinch bolt - and the track rod end.
Drivers side, just tap out the roll pin & you'll be able just pull it off the shaft
Passenger side, drain the gearbox oil, then undo the 3 bolts & you'll be able to pull that shaft out :wink:

If you intend to put the wheels back on & put it back on the ground just put the wishbone ball joints back on

1995clio16v
28-09-2009, 11:27
drain the gearbox oil

Good one Paddy. Guide me to the plug please...

:D

16v_paddy
28-09-2009, 13:53
on the bottom of the gearbox you'll see something that looks similar to the oil sump plug, square hole looking thing, get a 13mm spanner on it & undo it :wink:

1995clio16v
28-09-2009, 15:52
on the bottom of the gearbox you'll see something that looks similar to the oil sump plug, square hole looking thing, get a 13mm spanner on it & undo it :wink:

Cheers.

8)

cliokiz
29-09-2009, 15:32
Piece of piss when you know how!

cliokiz
29-09-2009, 15:34
By the way... passenger side driveshaft can be done just by removing the two shock to hub bolts.

Pull it back and when you lift the engine out keep pulling on it and eventually it'll come out when the engine is high enough. Saves pissing about with the balljoint bolts.

Don't forget to slip it back in the box as you lower it back in though. Drivers side, same thing applies, but ideally you need to remove drivers side driveshaft to get the downpipe out. Can be left in but i find it's easier to remove.

1995clio16v
29-09-2009, 16:52
By the way... passenger side driveshaft can be done just by removing the two shock to hub bolts.

Pull it back and when you lift the engine out keep pulling on it and eventually it'll come out when the engine is high enough. Saves pissing about with the balljoint bolts.

Don't forget to slip it back in the box as you lower it back in though. Drivers side, same thing applies, but ideally you need to remove drivers side driveshaft to get the downpipe out. Can be left in but i find it's easier to remove.

Only thing Im struggling with is the pipework under manifold for PAS.

Do I need to take the headlight out to get to it? Cant really see in there to see what Im disconnecting...

:D

cliokiz
29-09-2009, 20:29
There's a metal pipe coming out of the pump that will either be bolted under the inlet manifold (if it's the short version of it) or it'll be bolted down near the gearbox if it's the longer version.

Follow this and you'll find where it joins the rubber PAS pipe which runs to the rack. Use a 17mm spanner to undo it.

The only other pipe you need to undo when removing the engine is the thick rubber pipe coming from the PAS pump, out beneath the inlet manifold up to the reserviour.

Undo this but leave it on the pump and that's all you need to do.

1995clio16v
04-10-2009, 17:35
Track Rod Ends;

How do I get em off?

Haynes says you need a special tool.

When I undo the top bolt, seems as though the inner thread just spins and the bolt wont undo any further.

Any tricks of the trade?

:?

wrighty
04-10-2009, 17:54
There is sometimes a allan key / torx in the threaded part of the track rod end that you can use to stop it spinning, if not you will have to try and put some form of clamp on to press the tapered track rod end into the hub to create enough friction to stop it spinning.

Make sure the threads of the rod end are as clean as possible of dirt and rust etc to ease undoing the bolt.

Justin..
04-10-2009, 21:52
i put a jack under the bottom of it to put pressure on it to stop the joint spinning

1995clio16v
07-10-2009, 19:00
i put a jack under the bottom of it to put pressure on it to stop the joint spinning

Good one. Worked a treat.

8)

Justin..
07-10-2009, 19:02
:thumbsup: