PDA

View Full Version : Condition is more Important then Mileage!

Martin
30-01-2005, 00:13
Some people get hung up on thinking that a lower mileage car means a better car..this is not strictly true especially with the Williams. If i was buying a williams again I would go for a AA/RAC car check to make sure the car is in good working order...before doing this however you should pay close attention to the following parts of the car..

Rear arches - prone to bubbling/rust
Inside of tailgate - as above
Wheels - Almost always corroded or refurbed incorrectly, they should have a silver diamond cut edge to the rim. A good haggling point a refurb will be around 150-200 pounds.
Check Electrics- dash bulbs often go and check leccy mirrors if it a 2 or 3. Windows, particularly passenger side can get sluggish or stop completley.
Suspension - Often worn, budget up 5-600 pounds to refresh to new standard.

I'm sure theres loads more stuff that people will add, this is just the stuff I wish I had paid close attention to when I bought my car!

KingStromba
30-01-2005, 01:02
Check exhaust from manifold back. Exhaust rots quickly. Also the manifold often cracks on the part where the 4 pipes become 1. Budget 60 quid to weld this. Check the emissions at the last MOT. No reason for it to get A1 results unless it is sick in some way (perhaps the CAT which can be expensive).

dannyt
30-01-2005, 18:59
agreed in some cases low milage can mean its not been warmed up and cooled down properly, not been serviced etc properly, or just mean it's been driven rairly, which in that case isn't a problem!

Danny

Purple
06-02-2005, 12:38
Check that steering has not much slack (less than 2cm off-centre). The steering joint close to the floorboard tend to give if the owner has a habit of turning the wheel while stationary.

Slight suspension noise, at slow speed, is fairly normal.

Exterior antenna housing may crack and leak rain water. Easy replacement though.

VIPERONE
07-02-2005, 00:51
sod the AA inspection. they wont know half of what we know on Williams'
im sure a Northy inspection would suffice..

richy
08-02-2005, 20:43
lol^ i wouldnt pay for a aa inspection either!

obvious things liek check engine running condition, if it smokes etc