PDA

View Full Version : Focus RS mk1

Jamie.
14-09-2009, 22:27
Anyone had one or know much about them.

I am thinking about getting one.

DaneC
14-09-2009, 23:06
Mate of mine has one, loves it. Wheelspin in 5th.

Jamie.
14-09-2009, 23:11
Any common faults?

Things to look for?

Help would be appreciated.

wilber1986
14-09-2009, 23:36
mates got a 310bhp focus rs. gave an m5 a little scare the other night. they have forged engines so nothing to worry about there. there normally in quite good condition cos they are kind of collectors cars. good fun to drive, 210bhp standard is pretty crap tho.

MatBrown
14-09-2009, 23:45
Paul Acko has one he might be selling soon.

Mat.

richy
15-09-2009, 00:03
Any common faults?

Things to look for?

Help would be appreciated.

few little things to check for from what i remember....

front seat bases need extra stitching to stop them going all funny(should of been done uner warrenty etc)
depending which ecu map they have (AE or AF) one stalls when cold, other has flat spots
throttle cable fitting needs to be a pink one, supposedly sticky or something if not
airbox mount bushes(only small rubber things) fail, and charger cooler pumps can be tempermental

best checking RSOC focus section for more detail but generally there sound, good engines too, and seen a few running std b/e making near or about 400bhp

Tommo
15-09-2009, 13:31
Very good choice dude, I'd be thinking of one of these for my next car. One of the best looking hot hatches imo, and very tuneable (if you want to go that route). Personally I hate the seats and steering wheel, I'd have to change these, but otherwise a stunning looking car, and fast!!

Problems.....I always read about the diff being too vicious causing the car to torque steer all over the place, some worse than others though, I've got a buying guide in an old EVO, I'll try and dig it out for you...

Get one so I can have a drive...lol!

Jamie.
15-09-2009, 15:30
I am finding it hard to think of much better tbh.

I NEED a car to do decent mpg, say 32 plus of which the FRS will do.

It's only FWD so no 4WD power losses or crazy mpg. Also want to spend about 9k which seems perfectly reasonable.

Really cannot think of any other cars which do this. Evos are out so to are Subs, don't want another clio and the only jap crap which is a step up is the DC5 which is JDM (£1,000,000 insurance) and very expensive for what you get.

A R26 is another thought but they are at least 11k which is another 2k for a bigger car with non-forged internals.

Daz.
15-09-2009, 16:16
how much you got to play with fella?

a frs lives near me - they do look bloody good but can you cope with that interior? :D

I'd be retrimming all the bluw straight away - alcantara ftw!

Rich
15-09-2009, 17:54
An FRS does 32mpg? Maybe as standard, no chance once mapped though.
agreed, steve who sometimes pops up on here still (i think) had one and frequently on the ring trip a couple of years ago he was filling up more than bayliss in the V6 and we thought that was bad on petrol. that didn't have many mods either iirc but was like shit off a stick!

Jamie.
15-09-2009, 19:36
Thing is, my commute is all M-way and A road no stop start. With all my cars I have got above average mpg. Both the Williams and 172 I had at 39. I expect similar of the FRS. 32mpg is more than achieveable.

Don't be confused by what I want when driving gently and what I will accept when hammering it. Hammering it is fair game but shit mpg when off boost etc I won't like.

Jamie.
15-09-2009, 19:37
how much you got to play with fella?

a frs lives near me - they do look bloody good but can you cope with that interior? :D

I'd be retrimming all the bluw straight away - alcantara is very good in my books!

Erm, tbh preferably under 10k.

Jamie.
15-09-2009, 19:38
An FRS does 32mpg? Maybe as standard, no chance once mapped though.

DC2 would also be a step up imo, but depends if you can live with the slightly dated looks... personally I love them and LSD as standard and simple mods put them out of reach of Clio's on the performance front.

Megane 225 would also be worth a punt... or, going a different direction how about an E39 535d? Great mpg, rwd, comfy, handle well and go like stink.

Not keen on DC2's I am sure they are very nice but not just now.

Meggane 225 are ok but I would always be thinking I should have got a R26 or F1. 225's used to be cheap as chips but have gone up in price of late and a decent one isn't too far from R26 money.

Tommo
15-09-2009, 19:49
I couldn't handle the looks of a meg 225 or R26, always read how well they drive etc but too ugly imo

Jamie.
15-09-2009, 19:57
Aii, going to drive some ASAP tbh.

Just want to make sure I don't HATE turbo lag.

PaulAcko
15-09-2009, 20:42
Common faults on them are -

The carpet at the base of the rears seats tears (wear heels dig in) and if you want it repairin you'v gotta take it out and get some one to repair it cause you can only buy black carpets from ford (rs are grey). Base of the front seats sagging which they fixed with the phs 2 seat base's which has a line of stitchin across to keep it tight. then as richy stated the throttle cable under the bonnet on top of the engine if its not the pink one (which they fitted to phs 2's) you can feel a slight rattle when acceloratin. And the charge cooler rubbers start to knock but they cost bout £25 for upgraded ones off ebay. Sqeaky front brakes ford do anti squeak pads but are summat like £150 a set. were as i'v got ferodo ds2500s? and only cost £90. and standard intake pipes are none to split but most people have upgraded them by now. Also the blue rubs off the steerin wheel and ford don't sell them any more so its either refurb yours or new off ebay.

They didn't release the cars in the any spercific order. My cars a phs 1 2003 03plate and number 1843 with phs 2 seat bases.

The difference between the phs1 and 2s are

1.seat bases as explained above

2.Engine mappins, phs2s are ment to be not so turbo lagy (you get a smoother acceleration)

3.start button phs1 is just a green button phs 2 has start button in white around the green button

4.Throttle cable as above phs1 have just a black plastic bit to mount to engine phs 2s have a pink rubber one to stop rattle.

Thats it off the top of my head

Hope this helps. But i love my rs people look and you get a lot of attention with it cause you don't see to many around as there was only 4501 made and 4500 released. iirc there was 2500 sold in the uk. The ride and power is nice to.

Jamie.
16-09-2009, 22:06
you on msn paul?