PDA

View Full Version : Integra type R ?

col
14-09-2009, 07:32
My lads due to sell his r5..............and hes going for a honda integra type R ,

What do you guys reckon to these motors?............ive heard nothing but good things but id welcome your opinions.

cheers ,col

raviedavie
14-09-2009, 09:41
Superb cars , one of the best FWD cars of all time regardless of cars cost.
Is he looking at a DC2 or a DC5 ?

katbloke
14-09-2009, 16:28
that an the trophy was all that beat the williams in their hot hatch test

MatrixGuy
14-09-2009, 17:42
Awesome cars!! still quite expensive though for age and mileage... which is a good thing really!

col
14-09-2009, 17:55
Thanks guys,its what i thought as well,Ravie hes going for the DC2 a white one if he can get it.

I put him on to these as they remind me of a younger brother to the NSX

i wouldnt say no to one of these myself 8)

16v_paddy
14-09-2009, 18:39
You want to ask bendee, he's just got a DC2 the lucky bastard

ThRaXaIR
14-09-2009, 20:53
good bits of kit!

MatBrown
14-09-2009, 21:02
Yeah, i would have one.

Mat.

zmaster2k
14-09-2009, 21:13
JDM DC2 is the best FWD car ive ever driven! Amazing handling!

FATBOY
14-09-2009, 21:48
nice car but dont like the rear sides and tailgate.... too ugly....

ThRaXaIR
14-09-2009, 22:19
lets be honest though people...rather have a williams...pretty pointless website if we dont prefer the williams.....

Jamie.
14-09-2009, 22:49
Having already owned a Williams I would have the DC2 because of variety.

Purple
15-09-2009, 04:17
I wrote this email to a few friends of mine back in 1999 after spending a day with a JDM integra test car with over 10k on the odometer. The ITR was brand new on the market then.
-------------
The Clio Williams is coming up to 3 years old now and I figure I should be slowly looking around for a replacement car (it usually takes me 1 year to settle on something anyway). The Honda Integra Type-R was one of the likely candidates, so I arranged for a test drive. Below is the comparison I have made after the test drive:

Engine: The Integra surprised me by having reasonable torque from 2k to 3.5k rpm and performance comparable to the Williams engine between 3.5k to 5.5k. Did not bring it past that but would expect the VTEC engine to beat the Williams engine at higher revs. (anyway, Williams red-line 6.5k and Type-R red-line 8k).

Transmission: Both cars has super-short gearing but the Type-R 1st and 2nd gears is ultra-short and very annoying at slow traffice crawl as you needs to be gentle or the car becomes very jerky. I feel the the Williams has a more positive gear change but this is highly subjective.

Ride comfort: Both cars has similar ride comfort with small bumps but the Williams soaks up large bumps a little better.

Handling: The Integra was a real let-down. I had expected a lot more. It was neither chuckable nor possess a tight turn-in. It simply felt like a tightly-sprung Japanese car without much driver feedback at the steering wheel. To make matters worse, it is easily unsettled by mid-corner bumps, whereas the Williams needs only a millisecond or two to regain its composure. And its got a touch higher torque-steer than the Williams. The Type-R probably needs a super-smooth racetrack to fully exploit its handling. I will take my Williams any day.

Others: The Recaros are damn hard and uncomfortable. The noise-level below 60 kph is OK but above that is ridiculous. I had to shout a little while cruising 100 kph. Moreover, the noise was not sporty at all, sounded like a high-revving aircon compressor. Very little noise isolation.

Conclusion: I had wanted to like the Type-R. But, it is just too uncomfortable (my wife will divorce me if she has to ride in such a noisy car) to be my daily car as well as having performance that is no better than the Williams. It also cost quite a bit more than a new WRX. Well, my search continues...
-------------
Fast forward 10 years later: Still have the Williams. Still married to same woman :)

col
15-09-2009, 07:30
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the epilogue Purple, having never ridden in one i will certainly take your comments on board.

Considering where they rev too i would expect them to be noisy at the higher revs.........you obviously havent been in my lads r5 Jeeeeeees is that noisy (stripped out) so in that department he will be at home.

And hes got cobra seats(people with piles do not apply thank you)

Your other comments he will have to drive one and come to his own conclussions.
regards col :wink:

Purple
15-09-2009, 09:21
Yeah, I am cursed with ultra-sensitive ears. The stock Williams exhaust is close to what I can tolerate on a regular basis.

From what you described, it might be too soft for for mate :)

That ITR DC2 I drove was a bit more hardcore compared to my Williams. Not my cup of tea as a daily car, but would be fine for weekend thrash on smooth decent roads.

MatrixGuy
15-09-2009, 17:50
Nice review Purple! :D

simonr85
16-09-2009, 09:26
i dont like them, i used too till i drove 1, they feel gutless, and imo the car is too big for the engine size/standard power

my williams absolutely batters the integra type R in a straight line and with the same driver in both cars would probably do the same on the twisties

my mate on here who has bought nick reads turbo valver has a JDM teg R engine in his honda CRX, a hondata ECU (£1000+), a few other mods and running 200bhp+ and that cant even shake my 140 ATW bhp clio williams off in a straight line, its neck and neck till stupid speeds

and my other mate has the JDM teg R engine in his civic EK9 and thats also similar performance to my williams

they do sound nice in Vtec tho

Coops
16-09-2009, 09:40
seems every man and his dog is buying one ;-)

Tommo
16-09-2009, 10:34
Dont like the looks, but supposed to be a great drive, LSD as standard too

Danno
16-09-2009, 19:03
whats all this JDM n DC shit all about??? :?

richy
16-09-2009, 19:47
whats all this JDM n DC s**t all about??? :?

JDM is japanese domestic market, the DC is the model version like having a mk1 mk2 etc, not sure what it actually stands for though.

16v_paddy
16-09-2009, 19:48
whats all this JDM n DC s**t all about??? :?

It's what the particular cars are - JDM means japanese domestic market so it's imported, UKDM is a UK model

2 versions of the DC2 model

http://honda-type-r.com/photo/honda-integra-type-r.jpg
http://hrsjapan.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/hrs080819bay-108.jpg

and the gorgeous DC5 :droool:

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/03/honda_civic/image/the-2001-integra-type-r.jpg

col
16-09-2009, 22:30
Cheers Paddy i new youd come up with somethink you "divine wind"...banzai geezer :lol:

16v_paddy
16-09-2009, 23:14
Happy to oblige col san :ninja:

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want a DC5 :(

Wobba
17-09-2009, 13:42
Yea nice, DC5 does it for me.

donsrno1
17-09-2009, 15:04
Some interesting comments and opinions here, good to see some balance comparisons.

I bought a 96 Spec JDM DC2 at the start of the year and have absolutely loved it. Before that I had a Mk1 Clio with a Williams engine in it, which was putting out ~ 170BHP @ the fly and the Integra feel quicker, not massively but definately a little quicker.

In terms of handling I have never driven a Williams so can'tcompare but the handling on the integra is unreal - in comparisson to my Mk1 Clios (16v with leda suspension) it is much much more compossed and I can confidently take bends at much higher speeds on the road. On the track they may be a better match but I would say that the main benefit is the integra just feels much more "planted" on the road.

The car is quite "raw" compared to most cars but obviously if he is coming from a stripped out R5 that won't be an issue (I went from a stripped out clio and it seemed like a luxury vehicle :lol:).

A few pics taken earlier this week:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee148/watson122/DSC_1117.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee148/watson122/DSC_1126.jpg

All in all I would say go for it. But if he can try driving one on standard suspension before rushing out and buying one with coilovers etc I woudl recommend it. When I first got mine I was going to put it on coilovers but it drives so well on standard suspension that I haven't really thought about it since.

donsrno1
17-09-2009, 15:16
Thought this was really good comparisson and points out a lot of the good/bad point of the integra, but personally would have a different opinion on some aspects. Just popped them in below for the sake of comparrison.

I wrote this email to a few friends of mine back in 1999 after spending a day with a JDM integra test car with over 10k on the odometer. The ITR was brand new on the market then.
-------------
The Williams clio is coming up to 3 years old now and I figure I should be slowly looking around for a replacement car (it usually takes me 1 year to settle on something anyway). The Honda Integra Type-R was one of the likely candidates, so I arranged for a test drive. Below is the comparison I have made after the test drive:

Engine: The Integra surprised me by having reasonable torque from 2k to 3.5k rpm and performance comparable to the Williams engine between 3.5k to 5.5k. Did not bring it past that but would expect the VTEC engine to beat the Williams engine at higher revs. (anyway, Williams red-line 6.5k and Type-R red-line 8k).

I was personally surprised by the performance outside VTEC - very driveable imo and still pulls well. When you do go into VTEC (over 6k RPM) there is a real kick and the engine is absolutely fantastic. IMO that is where the engine is at its best and the real selling point of the engine. Red-line on the integra is about 9k, not sure exactly what it is but certainly over 8k and close to 9. The engine loves to be revved and I always end up driving the car at higher RPMs that I might with a normal car just pottering about as it doesn't feel as though it's straining the engine at all.

Transmission: Both cars has super-short gearing but the Type-R 1st and 2nd gears is ultra-short and very annoying at slow traffice crawl as you needs to be gentle or the car becomes very jerky. I feel the the Williams has a more positive gear change but this is highly subjective.
Would be interesting to drive them both new to compare, but I would say the ITR has held up much better over time in this sense (obv depends on cars condition) but the gear change on mine is much much more "precise/positive" in the integra than any Mk1 Clio I have driven (though with a short shifter the Clio is massively improved)

Ride comfort: Both cars has similar ride comfort with small bumps but the Williams soaks up large bumps a little better.

Handling: The Integra was a real let-down. I had expected a lot more. It was neither chuckable nor possess a tight turn-in. It simply felt like a tightly-sprung Japanese car without much driver feedback at the steering wheel. To make matters worse, it is easily unsettled by mid-corner bumps, whereas the Williams needs only a millisecond or two to regain its composure. And its got a touch higher torque-steer than the Williams. The Type-R probably needs a super-smooth racetrack to fully exploit its handling. I will take my Williams any day.

Again, I can't compare to a williams but imo the ITR copes brilliantly with mid-corner bumps/corrections. Certainly in comparrison to any other car I have driven personally, though I appreciate you'll have a much better basis for comparrison.

Others: The Recaros are damn hard and uncomfortable. The noise-level below 60 kph is OK but above that is ridiculous. I had to shout a little while cruising 100 kph. Moreover, the noise was not sporty at all, sounded like a high-revving aircon compressor. Very little noise isolation.

Conclusion: I had wanted to like the Type-R. But, it is just too uncomfortable (my wife will divorce me if she has to ride in such a noisy car) to be my daily car as well as having performance that is no better than the Williams. It also cost quite a bit more than a new WRX. Well, my search continues...
-------------
Fast forward 10 years later: Still have the Williams. Still married to same woman :)

col
17-09-2009, 17:50
Thanks a lot Donsrno,your motor looks the buiss,and the comments like purple will be taken on board,

My lad sold his r5 last night an with a payback on Halifax insurance...hes got a bit of wonga to spend (i wonder if he will pay me back for the blood an sweat ive spent on his r5 ) NAA!...just a thought :cry:

regards col.