PDA

View Full Version : Best speakers to replace standard?

Benvk
10-09-2009, 13:44
Which speakers would you guys suggest to replace the standard dash speakers in a MK1? I don't want to start cutting holes in the door cards or putting in an amp.

Wobba
10-09-2009, 14:16
Which speakers would you guys suggest to replace the standard dash speakers in a MK1? I don't want to start cutting holes in the door cards or putting in an amp.

There's apparently quite a few that will fit directly. I'd like to know other peoples thoughts as well as I hate my stereo!

Coops
10-09-2009, 14:31
i had some 3.5" pioneer coaxials in there, sounded fine, also boschmann make some 200w ones, same fitment

i have kept the pioneers though and put them in my polo and the boschmanns i had have just sold pending payment

Smokey McPot
10-09-2009, 15:01
someone put phase 2 door cards in mine so I have door speakers in mine as well as those ones at the front.

I have a cunning plan for something but I need to get a set of both phase one cards and some phase two ones.

_ol_
10-09-2009, 15:11
I've tried to keep my motor as stock as possible, but the standard placements for speakers mean the sounds would be waaaaay too tinny without a sub of some kind in there - So I've got for 4" FLI speakers in the dash and either side of the parcel shelf, with a sub (FLI 12") in the boot.

When I sell her the only thing I need to take out is the sub and it looks stock again - Nice and bassy and cheap too (£115 for all 4 speakers and the sub)

Wobba
10-09-2009, 15:56
Problem I have is the original willy1 only had the two front speakers as standard. They SUCK!

Dont wanna start chopping things up really...may look at the boschmanns or Pioneers then...

_ol_
10-09-2009, 16:27
The FLI's in mine fit no problems without chopping up anything - I've got a Willy 1 too... Basically just about any 4" will fit....

Coops
10-09-2009, 16:52
mmm, maybe they are 4" then, pretty sure i measured the cone at 3.5" however, or is it total diameter including cage etc that they go on for speaker sizes?

Wobba
10-09-2009, 17:24
What I would like to know is would just uprating the dash speakers make that much difference? I know the old standard ones ones cant be that great...but still...

Smokey McPot
10-09-2009, 17:42
new head units generally have a greater change in sound quality than the speakers.

but to answer your question, yes, they most probably would. In 1994 OEM car stereos were generally shit.

_ol_
10-09-2009, 17:55
mmm, maybe they are 4" then, pretty sure i measured the cone at 3.5" however, or is it total diameter including cage etc that they go on for speaker sizes?

Yeah it's including the cage mate

What I would like to know is would just uprating the dash speakers make that much difference? I know the old standard ones ones cant be that great...but still...

Yeah it would certainly make a difference, but it'll still be tinny as hell TBH... 4" Just isn't big enough to deliver any low-end punch so a sub you can just take out would do the job - a 10" Vibe would do it, and you can pick a powered vibe up for about £150

new head units generally have a greater change in sound quality than the speakers.

but to answer your question, yes, they most probably would. In 1994 OEM car stereos were generally s**t.

Yeah a new head unit would help but IMO it'll be the speakers to make the biggest change.

Coops
10-09-2009, 18:00
i run a kenwood 4x50w head unit, nowt special but does the job, and coupled to 4" fronts (cheers for the correction :wink:) and i think 6" rears its sounded pretty okay. as said tho not much bass really

_ol_
10-09-2009, 18:18
i run a kenwood 4x50w head unit, nowt special but does the job, and coupled to 4" fronts (cheers for the correction :wink:) and i think 6" rears its sounded pretty okay. as said tho not much bass really
Are they "6 on the rears on is that on the shelf? I've only got 4" all around.

DaneC
10-09-2009, 19:20
Most 4.25" speakers will fit straight in, I have some Fli components that went under the original speaker covers with some encouragement.

DaneC
10-09-2009, 19:21
Sorry I meant 5.25" and I thought you were talking about door speakers.

Fail. :(

Coops
10-09-2009, 23:05
Are they "6 on the rears on is that on the shelf? I've only got 4" all around.

in the o/e spot mate, they are definately bigger than the front ones