PDA

View Full Version : engine placement?

jerome16v
07-09-2009, 16:38
Hi,

just wanted to know if anybody has some details about how the engine has to be placed inside the bay?
Im still having some issue with the engine hitting the frame or body of the car while making a hard right corner.
I allready fitted a R19 gearbox mount, and made all the other mounts a bit stiffer, and i refitted the engine on its mounts about 3 times now.
Cant see where its hitting either, but i can definitely feel it.
Anyone else had this before?

Coops
07-09-2009, 16:52
very unusual for engine to do that, and hard right will move the engine away from the side of the bay, not into it

sure its not exhuast hitting the subframe where it bends under it on the downpipe? check your clearances there/look for fresh dents or damage etc

cliokiz
07-09-2009, 16:53
Could be a suspension knock perhaps? broken top gearbox mount?

jerome16v
07-09-2009, 23:31
Ive had this for a while now, and have checked for any dents or damage, but still cant find any, also when i remove the lower gearbox mount, i can freely move the engine back and forth, so its either hitting someting sideways, or its not hitting anything at all, and im looking in the wrong place.
When i did the hybrid conversion, i also replaced all parts of the front suspension, except for the top mounts, so maybe a bearing is bad?, could that cause knocking?

Thanks

Wobba
09-09-2009, 14:06
Do you have gear selection problems?

What suspension are you running? If it's audible clonking noises it could be several things. Maybe it's just the suspension turrets moving when turning or wheels touching the splash guards. Check under front arches for obvious signs of wear. Other things could be CV joints on the driveshaft or bearing as you mentioned. Do the standard tests for worn joints (up/down - left/right movement in wheel etc).