PDA

View Full Version : 110+ degrees celcius

schakal
06-09-2009, 23:00
thats what my aftermarket gauge was showing at castle combe
on saturday after 3 laps of abusive driving :shock:
and the heat did not want to go down fast while running the
engine the cool it down at the paddock :?

this has happened for the second time now , every time she goes on the track ,ends up overheating . i tried taking the grille out even running a couple laps at 3.5k rpm to cool it down with kein success .

the radiator fan kicks in and keeps running as it should but unable to
cool the engine down . under normal daily driving conditions (occassional ragging ) temp hardly goes over 2.5 line mark .

so far i suspect a fubared water pump ,slipping water pump pulley
or a blockage somewhere that returns with heavy revving .

any ideas wilkommen :D

Justin..
06-09-2009, 23:34
no point revving the engine. its not got a engine driven fan.

DaneC
07-09-2009, 00:11
no point revving the engine. its not got a engine driven fan.

Properly doing it to get the water pumping round faster...

Justin..
07-09-2009, 00:17
i can uderstand that but the engine still be generating alot of heat @ 3.5 k

Purple
07-09-2009, 01:36
What does the oil pressure and oil temperature read while you are caning the engine? And how old/used is the oil? Am asking as it may not be water cooling system, if the oil temperature gets too high.

schakal
07-09-2009, 10:49

not really ,it also helps cooling the rad when you are at speed .
3.5k is ideal for spinning the water pump to circulate the water .

purple : the oil is brand spanking new ,changed a month a go
with plugs and oil filter . i have not got an oil temp gauge but
my oil pressure shows around 1 bar @ idle when its that hot .
never checked it at higher revs when it heated up :?

another thing i noticed looking at the bay yesterday is that the coolant
has been leaking from the sides of the thermostat housing . and where it leaked the red coolant i use turned into some hard lime scale like material which is quite hard as well . i am wondering if this sort of turning into solid happens inside the cooling system blocking ways .

either way engine will come out to make room for the
2 litre replacement soon :D

raviedavie
07-09-2009, 11:57
when i gun mine on private roads of course it ends up about 100 celcius so i assumed thats normal temp ?

col
07-09-2009, 13:22
This might be worth checking out......is your fan sucking or blowing (negative pressure)

schakal
07-09-2009, 16:43
This might be worth checking out......is your fan sucking or blowing (negative pressure)

mine is a sucker as standard col , a friend of mine suggested using an
aftermarket fan he uses on his 5 cup car . looked very beefy piece of
kit and apparently it drains less power from the battery .

white16valver
07-09-2009, 18:10
Sounds like it might be worth doing a cooling system flush (and maybe an overhaul) - this should clear the crap out and help the cooling process be more efficient :)

It might also be that your rad is a bit gunked up with road crap so it could be worth spraying through the fins with medium pressure water. Not too high pressure though as I believe the rads are quite delicate!

Mine always gets quite hot when ragging it so I'll let you know if it changes after I do my rad and matrix!

Did you open the bonnet when you'd stopped afterwards, and park so the rad faced into the wind and there was wind flow over the top of the engine? I find this the best thing for mine :)

schakal
07-09-2009, 19:14
Sounds like it might be worth doing a cooling system flush (and maybe an overhaul) - this should clear the crap out and help the cooling process be more efficient :)

It might also be that your rad is a bit gunked up with road crap so it could be worth spraying through the fins with medium pressure water. Not too high pressure though as I believe the rads are quite delicate!

Mine always gets quite hot when ragging it so I'll let you know if it changes after I do my rad and matrix!

Did you open the bonnet when you'd stopped afterwards, and park so the rad faced into the wind and there was wind flow over the top of the engine? I find this the best thing for mine :)

well my coolant is only 16k miles / 2 years old ,i am using the pink/red stuff and i have flushed a million times before i fitted a brand new tank on there . but funny enough the color of coolant has gone quite dull .
may be there is a tiny oil leak into the cooling system causing this ?

i think i will just rip apart soon and find out what the problem is

AndyFielder
07-09-2009, 21:59
need one of me oil coolers :P

schakal
07-09-2009, 23:40
need one of me oil coolers :P

might do , lure me :wink: :P

volymmannen
08-09-2009, 08:03
:goodposting:

col
08-09-2009, 18:13
I dont want to seem im going over the same point , but, is your fan sucking air through the rad,or is it wired in reverse an trying to blow back through rad.

Happened to my mates ww2 willys jeep, when it was was in slow traffic ,no probs,but when he was blatting along temp rose dramatically .

Couldnt understand what was happening? In his case he had put fan blade on back to front,cause it was pulley driven.

schakal
08-09-2009, 18:30
I dont want to seem im going over the same point , but, is your fan sucking air through the rad,or is it wired in reverse an trying to blow back through rad.

Happened to my mates ww2 willys jeep, when it was was in slow traffic ,no probs,but when he was blatting along temp rose dramatically .

Couldnt understand what was happening? In his case he had put fan blade on back to front,cause it was pulley driven.

col i answered this one a week a go , keep up man :D ^^^^
my fan is a standard 19 16v one , which is behind the rad (looking from front of the car ) and is sucking air ,blowing towards the engine .
is this not the way its supposed to be ? :roll:

col
08-09-2009, 22:34
EERR ye! :oops:

volymmannen
09-09-2009, 08:33
old radiator ?? could be lots of deposits in it..

schakal
20-09-2009, 09:08
just another thought , would a lean running engine heat up quicker ??

busterhymes
20-09-2009, 09:59
a lean engine will definitely run hotter m8 so you would expect it to reach working temp quicker :)

schakal
20-09-2009, 10:45
it should not really happen unless my injectors are fooked but
could it be running lean due to the scuttle induction ? straight after
i turn the engine off after a good run ,my inlet manifold is almost stone cold.

probably far fetched but ;
may be the injectors are not in the best condition to cope with fuelling the
cold/denser air hence on a hard run ,it is running lean ??

busterhymes
20-09-2009, 11:01
well the injectors deliver the fuel and if not working as they should could cause poor fuel delivery/spray pattern which makes the fuel burn inefficient, prior to that engine management controls fuelling so if your running a non std chip this may cause issues but guess you have investigated this avenue best thing is get it on a diagnostics to see how its running or pull the injectors and get them cleaned
your scuttle induction is doing what it should delivering a good cold charge of air and your management and sensors should determine the right fuel/air ratios :wink:

Daz.
20-09-2009, 11:02
sounds like a scrapper to me.

schakal
20-09-2009, 11:42
well the injectors deliver the fuel and if not working as they should could cause poor fuel delivery/spray pattern which makes the fuel burn inefficient, prior to that engine management controls fuelling so if your running a non std chip this may cause issues but guess you have investigated this avenue best thing is get it on a diagnostics to see how its running or pull the injectors and get them cleaned
your scuttle induction is doing what it should delivering a good cold charge of air and your management and sensors should determine the right fuel/air ratios :wink:

i think i might be running a ghey chipped ecu tbh not sure .
like you say , the air temp sensor etc should get the fuelling right
but if the injector is not letting enough fuel through in higher revs
that will be a problem .

i have no problems at all ragging it on the road daily .

busterhymes
20-09-2009, 11:48
are you totally confident in the cooling system? are you running an oil cooler?
obviously track use will get the engine hotter compared to road use

SGL motors in hull do a good injector cleaning service cost me round about £50 inc the P&P and they do a quick turn round :wink:

schakal
20-09-2009, 12:01
are you totally confident in the cooling system? are you running an oil cooler?
obviously track use will get the engine hotter compared to road use

SGL motors in hull do a good injector cleaning service cost me round about £50 inc the P&P and they do a quick turn round :wink:

i have not got an oil cooler but i am inveting in one soon .

i am very confident in the cooling system , the coolant (red type) and the thermostat are only 17k miles old and i have none of that brown colour in the system at all .
the rad fan kicks in at 3rd line as it should and cools it down to 2.5 mark
on daily driving conditions . i also have an aftermarket temp sender
located in the middle of top rad hose , which is there to tell me if and when the thermostat opens . thats how i could tell the exact temps my car reached on that track day .

but either way she is planned the go in the workshop for some tlc on wednesday ,and i willl look in to every single component closely after the strip down .
will keep you updated :P

busterhymes
20-09-2009, 12:06
well you seem to be happy there, how old is the rad any chance it is partial block reducing it cooling abilities
look forward to reading the updates

schakal
20-09-2009, 12:22
well you seem to be happy there, how old is the rad any chance it is partial block reducing it cooling abilities
look forward to reading the updates

the rad was a used one , it appears to be in good condition on the outside .
but could be partially blocked ,there is no way of telling .
same as the injector theory , working fine under mild ragging ,but cant cope with faster flow ?

busterhymes
20-09-2009, 13:04
inside flow the important bit :wink: . did you notice at what point your problem started or has it been a problem that has slowly appeared with time as wondered if you could pinpoint ur problem start point. do you have a std chip/ecu that u could try out to see if fuelling issue is related to the chip ur running :)

fasterthanjesus
20-09-2009, 13:51
lmfao @ daz

sounds like a clio to me !

schakal
20-09-2009, 14:05
inside flow the important bit :wink: . did you notice at what point your problem started or has it been a problem that has slowly appeared with time as wondered if you could pinpoint ur problem start point. do you have a std chip/ecu that u could try out to see if fuelling issue is related to the chip ur running :)

the first time this happened was a track day in mallory park
but than i was suspecting a fookered/slipping alternator/w.pump belt which since have been changed .
on the same day i even took the front grill out to allow direct air
on the rad which did not seem to help . on the road she is normal .

done many miles since that , and back on the track at castle combe
a few weeks ago and she goes heating again :?
i understand the heating, but not cooling a significant amount after
idleing at the paddock for 10 minutes , with the fan turning and the heaters on full blast :shock:

may be she is suffering some form of trackofobia :P

busterhymes
20-09-2009, 14:50
i would be tempted to rag off rad and check it over try reverse flushing, still wonder if a cooling issue, fueling issues would no account for a cooling problem have you consider an obstruction somewhere in the system that may not show up in normal use this might account for running hot as coolant cannot get round system and likewise is slow getting back round the system and through the rad to be cooled :?

schakal
20-09-2009, 20:16
i would be tempted to rag off rad and check it over try reverse flushing, still wonder if a cooling issue, fueling issues would no account for a cooling problem have you consider an obstruction somewhere in the system that may not show up in normal use this might account for running hot as coolant cannot get round system and likewise is slow getting back round the system and through the rad to be cooled :?

its going in the workshop for a tart up soon , all will
be revealed shortly boss :wink:

Wobba
21-09-2009, 09:44
Trouble is with these old engines, if they've been through hands that have not kept the cooling system in top nik they get totally bunged up with crap and its nigh on impossible to sort without a major flush and descale of the engine.

My old engine was quite bad. New one is tip top. Replaced the pipes as well which made a good difference, and flushed the rad a hell of a lot.

I wonder if you've got blocked water passageways like me....thermohousing leak wont be helping. Easy to sort though!

Replacing the engine will solve your problem no doubt :)

col
21-09-2009, 21:38
JUST PUT A BLOODY AIR COOLED ENGINE IN.................PROBLEM SOLVED!!! :lol: