PDA

View Full Version : Right........here's the latest problems

16v_paddy
06-09-2009, 20:31
After the fun & games with GSF and my new clutch :roll: which now works perfectly after whipping the engine out (again) and replacing it with the right one :D

Now that I've been able to test drive it, I'm left with a load of problems :roll: no big deal but I can't do much about them till next week, due to work but mostly down to I can't be ****in bothered, I'll want to torch the bastard thing and generally get stressed out & lose my rag, so I'll get on with it when I'm not stressed out & got a clear head. The important thing is I can drive it & get to work.

1st problem; like a silly boy I forgot to disconnect the speedo cable while taking the engine out :oops: so got no speedo. So I'm using my mates twat nav as a speedo for now & getting a matbrown special to replace it in the week.

The battery light is constantly lit - can this be caused by me ripping the speedo cable out? So far the car has started 1st time, very little cranking to start up & ran fine with lights on, stereo blasting for the past 2 days so I don't think the alternator is broke :? any ideas? :anyone:

I can't get full throttle. Currently using a throttle body I'm not 100% sure it works right as the 1 I took off my old engine & put onto this 1 has had it's studs snapped by me when removing the induction kit to fit a std airbox last week :oops: so I'll swap them back over after fixing it to see if that solves the problem. Anyone else had experience with this and what the cause was?

The exhaust is blowing like a cunt around the decat :evil: cba to sort it as it's a botch job of a pipe to begin with (long story) and it's being replaced with a custom made sports cat quite soon.

I seem to be losing coolant, I think I might have damaged the radiator or not connected one of the hoses correctly as it's coming out from that general area. No big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I'll look into it when I'm in the right frame of mind.

Just noticed a little oil leak when I pulled up at work, need to get underneath to have a good look where it's coming from :x

Need to adjust the gear linkage a bit more as it's a bit dodgy selecting 5th & reverse

Got a few knocks, I reckon one of them is a knackered wishbone ball joint so I'll replace it when I get chance to fetch a new one. And I reckon the other knock could be the dogbone mount bracket not bolted up tight enough to the gearbox - really lost my temper when doing that as I was on my own & needed someone to hold the spanner on 1 side of it while I done the other side up, not got enough hands for that one :roll:

So other than all that crap, it's great :D loving the manual steering, short shifter, poly bushes, cup dogbone & R19 4th mount :twisted: need the tracking doing but that's nothing. All in all though, I'm really happy that I've been able to remove & replace an engine twice with out too much hassle (for a competent person ) :lol: and be back on the road

16v_paddy
07-09-2009, 19:42
Alternator is definately shagged :roll: the battery is completely flat & it cut out on the way to work. It seems you can run this car on a brand new battery for about 3 days before it dies.
Had to dump the car at a mates house & get a lift to work. Will get up early & go fit a spare alternator that I know works fine.

I've got a horrible feeling that my oil leak could be coming from the crank oil seal as it's coming from that side of the engine :cry:

Evogone
07-09-2009, 20:02
Alternator is definately shagged :roll: the battery is completely flat & it cut out on the way to work. It seems you can run this car on a brand new battery for about 3 days before it dies.
Had to dump the car at a mates house & get a lift to work. Will get up early & go fit a spare alternator that I know works fine.

I've got a horrible feeling that my oil leak could be coming from the crank oil seal as it's coming from that side of the engine :cry:

Check the electrical connector going into the alternator some times comes loose on the rallycar and the battery light starts to flicker. Pop it back in and all is OK.

16v_paddy
07-09-2009, 20:20
Was fiddling with that this afternoon & it made no difference :evil:

Wobba
09-09-2009, 14:10
Mate, all these are problems you probably know the answer too, and how to fix. It's a pain in the arse, I agree. Get some energy and sort the lot in one go on a sunny day when you have recouped your energy a bit!

Wobba
09-09-2009, 14:12
Could the oil be camshaft oil seals? Mines shot out a load of oil at first then they settled themselves and job done!

16v_paddy
09-09-2009, 14:13
Mate, all these are problems you probably know the answer too, and how to fix. It's a pain in the arse, I agree. Get some energy and sort the lot in one go on a sunny day when you have recouped your energy a bit!

I know, just being an ASW & documentting the problems :P

Doing a run to matbrowns 2nite then gettin busy tomorrow as the weather's lookin good 8)

Wobba
09-09-2009, 14:16

I know, just being an ASW & documentting the problems :P

Doing a run to matbrowns 2nite then gettin busy tomorrow as the weather's lookin good 8)

Just remember, when you're tired things seem a lot harder and difficult/tiring jobs take far longer!

Rule 1 for me is walk away if you're fed up and knackered unless you have no choice!

walters300
10-09-2009, 20:34
:? i think you need to call the samaritans by the sounds of things, a real long shot but i remember years ago having trouble with a battery light and it was only down to a loose connection, try the chassis earth connection etc and make sure there is a good connection on the alternator, you probably have, but try again after 30 mins of yoga or something! You sound like me, go to fix one problem and come away with 4! My w3 gives me no grief, but my dimma hybrid mong tests my patience always, i will ponder your horrific story tomorrow and see if i can think of any remedies, :wink:

16v_paddy
11-09-2009, 00:46
was definately the alternator that was fooked, replaced it with the 1 off my old engine.
I'm so grateful I've got manual steering, it's stupidly easy to get it off & swapped with none of those bastard brackets in the way :D
Took me 40 mins but quite a bit of that was finding the bolts for the headlight that I dropped in the engine bay, and since it was at my mates house I didn't have my bendy magnet thingy to fish them out with :oops:

white16valver
11-09-2009, 08:36
LoL

I've considered the odd screw lost in battle before and just run with one less :P