PDA

View Full Version : Weight saving??

ryan_b
03-09-2009, 08:16
What have you guys done to try shed a few pounds from your clio? Im not into the stripped out look more the factory look so after a few ideas or little mods that have been tried and tested.

Also are there any parts on the clio that can be uprated by using newer renualt parts from other models? I know about the 19 16v mount for the gearbox but thats it.

Thanks again guys/gals

Ryan

Smokey McPot
03-09-2009, 08:17
I became anorexic.

Coops
03-09-2009, 08:52
if its factory look only then can rip carpets etc out, remove all the sound deadening and tar from the chassis and then replace carpet (wont fit perfect at the edges but depends how fussy you are and if you want to loose the weight or not)

loose the spare wheel and cage (get some holts tyre seal or AA cover ;-) )

loose aux petrol tank and fit bypass pipe

if you dont use your sunroof (if you have one) rip out the motor etc

replace electric windows for manual windy ones

replace rear screen and rear windows for fixed perspex ones

lightweight brake calipers (alloy 4 pots or similar)

straight through decat (cats weigh a few kg)

erm sure theres lots more if you think outside the box

Coops
03-09-2009, 08:53
oh and you can fit the clio 172 (or same setup off any number of newer renaults) soft pedal conversion to lighten the clutch mechanism :wink:

stevie_b
03-09-2009, 09:37
If you are going for the completely standard look then that rules out fitting bucket seats I guess, but that would be a decent saving as the originals are about 30kg and replacements could be around 10kg. You could get a fibreglass bonnet sprayed up to look the same as original and save 10kg+. A racing (gel) type battery would save around 10kg. Lightweight wheels are an especially useful saving too as it is unsprung weight, but again it no longer looks standard I suppose. If you join and look in the projects section there are quite a few cars on there that have had the lightweight treatment which will give you plenty of ideas. Around 200kg weight loss is possible if you go all out so I would think you might see ~50kg if you did everything on the list that does not alter the standard appearance of the car and was hidden.

Coops
03-09-2009, 11:47
flippin heck, how did i forget fibreglass panels :shock: :roll:

Purple
03-09-2009, 12:48
As above, if you are willing to compromise on the looks - lightweight wheels/tyres would be the best bang for the buck. Every single kilogram saved on the wheels/tyres feels like a few kgs of static weight savings.

Wobba
03-09-2009, 13:13
Remove the carbon cannister bulkhead brackets. Weighs a ton. Located under offside front arch, above the horn. Also, remove the years of dirt built up in the inner arches:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSCF0110.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSCF0109.jpg

busterhymes
03-09-2009, 14:07
anyone know exactly what this lump of metal is for :?

Coops
03-09-2009, 14:09
nope, and weirdest thing being the valvers dont have it :lol:

been put forward its something to do with weight distribution, counterbalance the driver (remeber it was originally desinged as a LHD car)

Wobba
03-09-2009, 14:16

It's to slow the car down. It was deemed to uber and needed a handicap vs other cars of the era.

busterhymes
03-09-2009, 14:31

It's to slow the car down. It was deemed to uber and needed a handicap vs other cars of the era.

seriously :shock: so renault agreed to reduce the performance of there car cos im assuming other manufacturers were complaining, unbelievable :) :)

simonr85
04-09-2009, 08:27
will it run ok without the charcoal cannister??

im thinking of taking it off now i have seen that big lump of metal

G33R7
04-09-2009, 09:51
nope, and weirdest thing being the valvers dont have it :lol:

been put forward its something to do with weight distribution, counterbalance the driver (remeber it was originally desinged as a LHD car)

LHD'ers also have these..... :?

volymmannen
04-09-2009, 12:32
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coops
04-09-2009, 13:10

fine mate, not had mine on for years. passed emissions on mot aswell and thats with a big sweaty turbo and a 1.4 cat :lol:

simonr85
04-09-2009, 14:00

fine mate, not had mine on for years. passed emissions on mot aswell and thats with a big sweaty turbo and a 1.4 cat :lol:

emissions aint a problem for me, i dont have a cat on anyway 8)

so is it just the cannister and metal bracket i remove?? or is there any wiring etc to go with it???

Coops
04-09-2009, 14:07
theres a load of breathers to it, so need to loose them and block up the inlet manifold one so car idles right.

one goes back to as little sensor thing just near power steering res on o/s wheel arch under bonnet. leave that connected if you like, makes no difference.

Jamie.
04-09-2009, 14:14
Remove the spare.

Wobba
04-09-2009, 14:31
Remove the spare.

A spare cage.

col
04-09-2009, 17:08
Take a "dump" before you race..............it all helps :wink:

Jamie.
04-09-2009, 17:27
Remove the spare.

A spare cage.

I don't understand what you mean? Remove the spare and cage.

Justin..
04-09-2009, 18:22
i think he meant and the spare cage

Wobba
04-09-2009, 20:20
hehe ya I was at work, hard to type with my boss checking me out every 5 seconds :)

Coops
04-09-2009, 20:22
hehe ya I was at work, hard to type with my boss checking me out every 5 seconds :)

type in word/new outlook email

paste into WC

not that i'm a seasoned pro or anything :P

Wobba
04-09-2009, 20:31
Yea right!

I cant think straight after removing half my brain all in the name of weight saving :(

ThRaXaIR
05-09-2009, 10:01
put 172 cup springs on it, they work a treat!

GabrielKnight
18-01-2010, 23:31
Remove the spare.

I know this is an oldish thread, and losing a wheel saves a lot of weight but please be aware from personal experience that the RAC will leave you on the hard shoulder for 2.5 hours if you blow a tyre and don't have a spare then charge you £110 for a 19 mile lift home.

Wobba
18-01-2010, 23:55
Remove the spare.

I know this is an oldish thread, and losing a wheel saves a lot of weight but please be aware from personal experience that the RAC will leave you on the hard shoulder for 2.5 hours if you blow a tyre and don't have a spare then charge you £110 for a 19 mile lift home.

Hehe Good point :)

stevie_b
19-01-2010, 00:04

Really? Do you have the Recovery option with the RAC? I've just renewed my membership with them and some of my cars never had a spare from the factory, so I would be upset if they don't recover me home as having a puncture must be one of the more common problems I would be likely to experience!

stevefesta
19-01-2010, 00:22

Really? Do you have the Recovery option with the RAC? I've just renewed my membership with them and some of my cars never had a spare from the factory, so I would be upset if they don't recover me home as having a puncture must be one of the more common problems I would be likely to experience!

The detail is somewhere in the small print, but in a nutshell if the car doesn't have a spare wheel originally you don't need to have one, but if it did you should carry it or can face the charges above!!!

GabrielKnight
19-01-2010, 00:55
I was completely twatted by the RAC on the way back from holiday when my tyre burst on the motorway. I had a Clio mk1 1.2 at the time and fitted 15" alloys so took the 14" spare out as it was no use. RAC told me they would be out in 20 minutes, then 30 minutes, then 50 minutes, then 90 minutes.

After 5-6 calls while abandoning me for 2 and a half hours on the hard shoulder they told me I wasn't covered because I didn't have a spare so sent out a private 'rescue firm' who took £6 / mile cash to take me home.

Like a prat I assumed it was a one off so resubscribed to the same 2nd highest band 'UK rescue plan' at £70 - £90 or whatever. When the cambelt went one normal Sunday morning, it took 3 and a quarter hours for them to turn out after calling every 20 minutes.

The only 'good' experience I've ever had with them is when my middle section exhaust dropped. They took me back from Leicester to Yorkshire, but it took over 7 hours from first call as we had to piss about in Donnington and other random service stations picking up other stranded motorists 'on the way' (half a county out).

I have the renewal request letter here now, but never again. : (

col
19-01-2010, 18:31
What was wrong with the spare?........i know its a different size,but couldnt you put it on a non powered wheel?

GabrielKnight
19-01-2010, 19:10
Possible, never tried it. I imagine it would shag the treads up tho (?), and would be somewhat illegal. Might consider it for a very short journey, but I did take the spare of for weight-saving as well.

col
19-01-2010, 19:41
yea my merc has 16" wheels but the spares a 15" ive used it many times, put it on the front though,and drove reasonably well.

I had a W reg punto sporting which came standard with15" but the spare was a 14" with wally block tread,but was def better than what came later............an electric foot pump in a polystyrene wheel fitted in spare wheel well........how cheap is that !!......what happens if you have a burst tyre????? :roll:

stevie_b
19-01-2010, 20:28
an electric foot pump in a polystyrene wheel fitted in spare wheel well........how cheap is that !!

That's the standard solution in most supercars these days! I guess it's not so much the cost as the packaging of fitting a huge spare 18/19/20" wheel with 295 width tyres (or whatever it needs) into the car somewhere! If it goes pop in a way the sealant can't fix then you'll need recovery, which isn't usually much fun (experience suggests a long wait for initial collection and a recent change to classify certain of their fleet as needing to run on the tacho means that they need to take breaks on a long run back home, or even worse they take you the first 60 miles and then drop you there for another vehicle to pick you up and take you on another 60 mile leg, and then another for the next, etc.!)