PDA

View Full Version : Mother****ing locking wheels nuts

Smokey McPot
26-08-2009, 20:03
and stupid garages that impact the wheel nuts on. Do my head in.

Today I tried to remove my wheels in order to get some new tyres put on ready for its MOT.

Stupid dicks had over tightened every nut on the wheel, and in trying to remove them with the wheel brace I've hacked a big chunk out the centre of my wheels.

And to top it all off I still have the original locking nuts, and those little bastards wont move for love nor money.

Does anyone still have original locking nuts these days?

MatBrown
26-08-2009, 20:59
Which ones do you class as original?
Did you get them off in the end?

Mat.

Smokey McPot
26-08-2009, 21:46
The bolts that fix the wheel are round, there is a corresponding nut with a several raised parts (like a key) that match the holes in the wheel bolt. The two together match and unlock.

I didnt get the locking ones off, the regular ones did eventually, going to back tomorrow with a drill that has an impact setting, if that doesn't work, then the tyre fitters can deal with it.

hank3944
26-08-2009, 23:17
have you tried the locking wheel nut removers? its like a set of sockets with opposite threads on which cut into it and remove it. Laser do a set. I might even have a set kicking around it you get stuck.

schakal
27-08-2009, 07:35
been mentioned on many forums ,million and a half times now .
LOCKING WHEEL NUTS ARE FOR GHEYS AND LADY BOYS !!!

Smokey McPot
27-08-2009, 07:45
have you tried the locking wheel nut removers? its like a set of sockets with opposite threads on which cut into it and remove it. Laser do a set. I might even have a set kicking around it you get stuck.

Thats kind of you to offer.

They should come off with some persuasion, its just a stupid design, the key nut doesnt grip the wheel nut in any way. So unless you can provide pressure to push the two together as well as downward turning pressure (which is pretty much impossible without a gun or drill) its not coming off.

Shackal, are you coming on to me, again?

majestikmoose
27-08-2009, 12:50
I've still got the original locking wheel nuts on my car, just never got around to changing them due to other more importantstuff breaking all the time!

hank3944
27-08-2009, 13:18

Thats kind of you to offer.

They should come off with some persuasion, its just a stupid design, the key nut doesnt grip the wheel nut in any way. So unless you can provide pressure to push the two together as well as downward turning pressure (which is pretty much impossible without a gun or drill) its not coming off.

Shackal, are you coming on to me, again?

The locking wheel nuts neeed to be used with an air gun so you can push at the same time while the remover cuts into the bugger...

Smokey McPot
27-08-2009, 13:58
The locking wheel nuts neeed to be used with an air gun so you can push at the same time while the remover cuts into the bugger...

I can dig it, but it means you're ****ed if you have to change to the spare at the side of the road.

Rich
27-08-2009, 14:43
not being funny but why bother with locking nuts these days? if a thief wants them they will take them whether you have locknuts on or not! i'd rather someone take my wheels and have less chance damaging my car personally! and it also saves this hassel when the buggers wont come off!

Smokey McPot
27-08-2009, 15:06
They've been on there since day dot, and I dont have replacement normal nuts.

This however, may change in the very near future. :evil:

Smokey McPot
28-08-2009, 15:00
Tried again last night. Didn't work. Cock.

wrighty
28-08-2009, 21:22
If the locking key keeps twisting out try parking close to a wall and use a jack to push a wheel brace at the same time.

This only generally works with a breaker bar or similar and once the initial tightness of the bolt has been released take jack off.

Worked for me a few times of a few techniques I have used b4.

Smokey McPot
29-08-2009, 19:11
I'm gonna spray them with WD the next time I'm at the car and leave it while I do other things. If not, I'll sack it off and the garage/tyre shop can sort it.

Might invest in some new, modern locking nuts and keep the old ones for sentiment.

eternalife
02-09-2009, 21:37
I'm gonna spray them with WD the next time I'm at the car and leave it while I do other things. If not, I'll sack it off and the garage/tyre shop can sort it.

Might invest in some new, modern locking nuts and keep the old ones for sentiment.

Good Idea - McGard are pretty well known, although never used myself personally.

Yes locking wheel nuts can be overcome by those who want your wheels, but the extra time it will take them to remove and the hassle it will cause means it creates a deterrent IMO.

bbaazz-08
06-09-2009, 01:08
im a mechanic and we get this in the garage alot from cars that have had tyres done by a tyre centre which just guns them up full tourqe

usualy only takes a min or less to take em off

you will need a breaker bar (think mine is 22" or there abouts) , a hammer (block hammer if you have one...but normal heavy ball pein will do)......and a set of sockets (NOT hexagonal type...have to be the multi splined type) usualy its always the 18mm socket that gives the tight fit ............put a small extension on the socket and hammer it onto the locknut until its on enough........put breaker bar on nd twist ......it should come straight of like a normal bolt:)

katbloke
06-09-2009, 10:32
http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/1109404800/_i/5837037/3.jpg

A set of those everytime, bang em on, they tighten their grip as you loosen

katbloke
06-09-2009, 10:33
http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/1109404800/_i/5837037/3.jpg