PDA

View Full Version : New member with Questions for the experts.

ryan_b
25-08-2009, 06:16
Firstly hello to you all. Im Ryan 27 from Ireland however currently in Australia with work for the last two years. Returning to Ireland at christmas for a few months and these little cars are appealing to me.

Now here goes the usual lol... Im a long posting member on the 205gtidrivers website and have been a passiontae owner since ii was 18 of many a good 205 Gti. They to have had their problems, loving them one minute cursing them the next. I know my way around a Gti and would class myself highly when it comes to knowing a good one from a bad one. However these cars i have no experience with.

The standard power and the factory look of the car is the appeal the williams has for me now over the Gti so im gonna fire up a few questions. All advice is taken onboard!

1. Which is a better all round model 1-2-3. I understand one to be the most collectable but which gives the owner the least headaches?

2. Ive heard many a nightmare story of gearboxes, are they that bad?

3. Rust, Rust, rust...Any tips on how to avoid it coming? I will looking out for as good a one as i can find, pref without rust.

4. Does it give you more joy than headaches? The 205 was a great little cars, parts are two a peny and they are quite reiable for the age. How would you rate the Williams in reliabity department?

5. Any pointers on what to look for, any big services due at certain miles?

I understand that all these questions have been asked before but ive searched for an hour and tryig to get them in oe post is quite hard. I appreicate the time you take to respond and i look forward to hearig from you all.

All the best, Ryan

16v_paddy
25-08-2009, 08:11
1. Which is a better all round model 1-2-3. I understand one to be the most collectable but which gives the owner the least headaches?

No differences at all in that respect. The 3 is a different shade of blue and has a sunroof & ABS standard-some say these are more prone to rust due to them being the last run & Renault cutting corners :roll:
The only other noticeable differences are the trim pieces between the 1 & 2, with the 3 sharing the same trim as the 2

2. Ive heard many a nightmare story of gearboxes, are they that bad?
No different to anything this old that's been driven hard all it's life like they're supposed to

3. Rust, Rust, rust...Any tips on how to avoid it coming? I will looking out for as good a one as i can find, pref without rust.

Bit difficult to say really, the best way to avoid it is make sure any work done to get rid of the rust is done properly

4. Does it give you more joy than headaches? The 205 was a great little cars, parts are two a peny and they are quite reiable for the age. How would you rate the Williams in reliabity department?

No more or no less reliable than anything else on the road, at the end of the day it's a car, it will break. IMO it's a stupid misconception that older cars are more unreliable, things wear out & they need replacing eventually. If you loved the pugs you'll love these, simple as that really :wink:

5. Any pointers on what to look for, any big services due at certain miles?

Cam belts should have been done on all of them by now, look out for bodywork that's been done. Having dealt with 205's I'd say you're in a good position as to knowing what to look out for, both cars are 15-20 year old french bean cans

Oh and :welcome:

northy
25-08-2009, 08:34
:wink:

16v_paddy
25-08-2009, 08:41
Nice 1 Mr Northrop 8) :lol:

northy
25-08-2009, 09:45
no probs mate. Anything to return the fav :winkey:

Coops
25-08-2009, 11:03